What is a "midfield general" - and who fits the bill?

• Thread starter Thread starter BlackToffee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Manny was playing up to his potential, I've never seen him be very vocal with the players around him. He just quietly gets on with his business. Not a trait you find in most players that play that role.

He's got the skill to do it but I don't think he has some of the "intangibles" that all great midfield leaders have.

I've always liked Gattuso in that role. Roy Keane was a great one as well.

Lorik Cana looks ideal from that video on youtube....

But youtube makes Van Der Meyde look like the answer to all our problems.

oh well, I'm sure Moyes has some targets lined up.

cahill seems to be one for australia but he can't quite seem to light a fire like that here (not that he isn't class, i just wouldn't call him a general)

from what i've seen, you can't really sign a player hoping for him to be a general, it just kind of has to click, like someone said early those qualities are intangible and what works elsewhere may not have the same effect with us.

i think our youth programs are the way to go for finding someone to fit this role, look at paul scholes

jack rodwell in a few years time? given appiahs age (29 i think ??) i would sign him in the summer, by which time he retires, jack will be 20,21 ish and if continues to develop like he is will have plenty of experience to take the reigns

I don't consider Scholes to be a "Midfield General". To me to earn that title you need to do a job at both ends of the field, and Scholes isn't the best tackler around! Keane was always Man U's general. Aside from Viera, Gerrard and now Fabregas is turning into one it think, there aren't too many around in the Prem. I wouldn't no so much about europe, but i think the term is thrown around a little loosely by many people.

lets give rodwell time to be properly assessed at something like the top level one more than a handful of games.

same goes for baxter, because, jesus by the sounds of it theres pressure on him to be 'the new rooney'.

leave it to moyes, hes made the right signings in the past, he'll make the right signings in the future.

reo-coker does the clean up and basic distribution job well for villa.

Thats true mate will be intresting to see his development there, O neill has used him more as a defensive midfeilder with Villa and instructed him to play form deep, however as we remember from his WHU days hes also a carcking attacking midfeilder, be intresting to see if he can bridge the gap.

Joey Barton at city was a bit of a midfeild general.

*Cue slating!

Thats true mate will be intresting to see his development there, O neill has used him more as a defensive midfeilder with Villa and instructed him to play form deep, however as we remember from his WHU days hes also a carcking attacking midfeilder, be intresting to see if he can bridge the gap.

Joey Barton at city was a bit of a midfeild general.

*Cue slating!

Coker is a far better player than I thought he was when he first came on the scene at West Hamsters, Micknick has always rated and wanted him at GP but I think he is on a long contract at Villa now

Note ignoring mention of that [Poor language removed] house thug flopping with the barcodes

I think It goes beyond being a great all round midfielder or having tactical 'nous'. Imo, it's more to do with the effect they have on the rest of the players. Peter reid is an obvious reference from a blue point of view, yet he didn't have the attacking ability of say Bryan Robson or Gerrard. Gattuso is probably the best example in that mould today. I would also suggest someone like Deco at Barcelona, essentially an attacking mf who gets stuck in.

I only gave my answer to the first question.
Obviously, the more complete players are more expensive. As someone suggested we're really looking to marry Neville's attitude with Manny's ability. Poulson at Seville is more Neville than Manny, whereas Diego at Werder Bremen is the other way round. De Rossi at Roma is perfect imo to complete the puzzle but we'd have to break our transfer record or close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back