What makes a big club ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised Kenwrong didn't break his leg in the boys pen, always looked dangerous in there.
I nearly broke my leg in the boys pen whilst trying to escape into the st.end. I climbed up one of the posts which were covered in grease and fell.

he wouldnt like him to join us, because he thinks he will go to a big club,
but he expects him to stay a little club with little support playing in a little league.

Can't answer the question but the best guide for me, in England at least, is the size of a club's away support. That reflects both the past achievements and the current status of a club. It's why Everton should always be seen as a big club. Behind Utd and the RS but no-one else and certainly ahead of the likes of City.

I always compared Everton and Spurs as simillar sized big clubs but over the last couple of years they have a owner who has invested in competing for champions league placings. We on the other hand are supposed to be happy finishing in the top half of the table. Spurs are still a big club we are not.

Can't answer the question but the best guide for me, in England at least, is the size of a club's away support. That reflects both the past achievements and the current status of a club. It's why Everton should always be seen as a big club. Behind Utd and the RS but no-one else and certainly ahead of the likes of City.

That's usually a pretty good indication but Leeds have one of the best away supports in England but aren't in the top 5 biggest clubs and I reckon that's down to their population size more than anything. But I do see where you're coming from as clubs build up out of town support and have exiled supporters which boosts their away crowds in far away places which comes from success. That's why we often take the full allocation at places like Arsenal mid week whereas clubs like Man City, Newcastle and Sunderland wouldn't. They haven't had the success throughout history like we have to build that kind of support up. Villa are a strange one though, as I see them as a similar club to us but their away support is shocking compared to ours and they have the least distance to travel out of all the teams in the top flight.

just wanted to know what make a big club

top-end turnover
massive wage bill
regular transfer funds
regular sold-out attendances
big worldwide fanbase
contemporary trophy haul
contemporary title challenges
regular European football
attracting biggest names in the game
not a sellers' club
not a club that takes on bigger club's rejects
able to find a buyer if the club is put on sale

Big clubs don't have fans constantly asking they are a big club. They just are. If you have to ask, then you're not.

And supporters of pretty much every club will base the criteria of what makes a big club on whatever it is that includes their club

Status
Not open for further replies.