What would u call BRAMLEY Moore docks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody also please get rid of the text speak in the thread title? It offends my delicate sensibilities every time I look.

Reactions: kev
Interesting that. What I read in the mainstream media (rs dominated of course) was all about slavery. I prefer your version!
I must admit that I was thinking along the same lines and worried that Jenrick might put his heritage hat on because he seems to be determined to fight a culture war with regard to the BLM movement/statues etc. So I did a quick check and it seems that the man the dock is named after is not implicated in any way.

I must admit that I was thinking along the same lines and worried that Jenrick might put his heritage hat on because he seems to be determined to fight a culture war with regard to the BLM movement/statues etc. So I did a quick check and it seems that the man the dock is named after is not implicated in any way.
By the time Bramley-Moore was a merchant slavery was abolished in British overseas territories. However, not where he and his family made their money and did their business, this was in South America, mainly in Brazil, where slavery was abolished only in the year of JBM's death. It would have been impossible to be a successful merchant in Brazil at the time without being directly and indirectly involved in slavery.

The club should petition to change the names of the docksite for this reason, and we should make a very public point about it.

I like 'Goodison Docks'

EDIT: JBM was also a massive Tory.

By the time Bramley-Moore was a merchant slavery was abolished in British overseas territories. However, not where he and his family made their money and did their business, this was in South America, mainly in Brazil, where slavery was abolished only in the year of JBM's death. It would have been impossible to be a successful merchant in Brazil at the time without being directly and indirectly involved in slavery.

The club should petition to change the names of the docksite for this reason, and we should make a very public point about it.

I like 'Goodison Docks'

EDIT: JBM was also a massive Tory.

Knew it wouldn't take long...

The 1878 Stadium
Kendall Arena
People's Waterfront Stadium
The Fourth Grace
St Domingo's Arena
Estadio Magnifico
Jedi HQ
Castle Blueskull

I like 'Goodison Docks'
Thanks for that, I did wonder about slavery elsewhere in the world, but Wiki pages make no reference to it, and there is no suggestion that the dock itself had any connections to the evil of slavery.

Thanks for that, I did wonder about slavery elsewhere in the world, but Wiki pages make no reference to it, and there is no suggestion that the dock itself had any connections to the evil of slavery.
You're very welcome. I will admit that his links to slavery are not like those of merchants who lived in the century before but nonetheless the links are there.
Information about JBM is not readily available on the internet and I was a bit aghast by his wiki. I can tell you though that I do remember his brother was a diarist who documented links between the family and slavery n Brazil, information I came across in my masters which was on the continued involvement of Liverpool in the slave trade after it's abolition. (mostly bankers and merchants involved with the America's who brought their wealth back to the UK for use in politics, paid-for-peerages and the like)

EDIT: This article is quite interesting.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.