Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to get out of this trap of "he gets the club etc", its holding us back imo
Why do you say that ? I'm only intrigued because our last 5 permanent appointments had very little to do with the club before they got the job .
Would be an interesting thing to appoint a manager who really does understand the club .

Doubt one is Martinez, they would just give him the job and not bother with the interviews. Plus it would suggest an agreement had been made with Belgium otherwise
They wouldn't need an agreement for him to be on a shortlist and as theres been no reports that we've moved on or decided not to pursue Martinez it seems pretty certain that he must be one of the names on the list it would be very strange if we've approached him and his employer and he's not even on our shortlist.

I do not understand why the club sacked Benitez WITHOUT having a replacement lined up already.

I'm not saying he should have stayed, but more that IF losing to Norwich was the trigger then surely the distinct possibility of sacking the manager had been on the minds of the board members prior to the Norwich game. If THAT'S the case then surely informal communications must already have taken place with candidates not currently under contract elsewhere, as a minimum?

I find it ridiculously amateur of the club to dither and dawdle over the appointment of a new manager during a transfer window.

PS absolute "no" to Martinez. Shouldn't even be considered a candidate.

It’s been 2 days.

Was Lamps (Yes, I went there) bad with his defences? I cannot remember

He had some poor games at the end, but overall no. In his first season they were fine.

What we are seeing is Tuchel syndrome. People are only turning their noses up because Tuchel did better. Even though Tuchel is an elite, top 5 in the world coach.

We saw it for a decade at United with the Ronaldo complex. We all know United supporters because it's impossible not to. They criticised and ran down perfectly capable players for years, simply because they weren't as good as Ronaldo. They lost all perspective and that's easy to do when you make irrelevant and unfair comparisons. There are lots of very good managers out there who aren't as good as Tuchel. It doesn't mean they are crap.

ALso dont ignore, what for me is a key point. When you set up to have no possession (whcih is what Benitez did, game after game). You are going to be defending more, you are going to see more individual mistakes withplayers who aren't brilliant on the ball.If we did get an attacking coach, whomever that may be, we would have more of the ball and the defence should organically improve on the stats because they are not spending every game with backs against the wall.

I dont know who the right answer is, Lampard could work if he was given time, im not sure we have that time in these circumstnaces. Rooney could work, given time and given the job hes doing this season at Derby. I feel like someone like Favre or Kovac woul need time to implmeent what woul be a very different style.

As long as we get a manager who wants the team to have the ball and take th game to teams reguarly, then I'll be fairly content. I just don't want someone who will be similar to Benitez with a focus on having a back 6 an then just hoping the front 3/4 can work something for a goal or two each game. We cannot keep starting games a goal down, which is what we are doing every single game.

I would be OK with Lampoard, I would be OK with Rooney, both would get a fair crack at the whip for me. Martinez had his chance, I dont believe him to be the evil that some have suggested, I just wonder whether he has learned from his stubbornness in his last spell. Kovac looks to be one who can steady ships and has won a pot already with Frankfurt (some achievement). He got Monaco from dross to taking PSG to the final day which again is a good achievement. So I an see why that would be favourable. Favre I dont know enough about.

Even though we got 5 points from 3 games with Ferguson (v Chelsea, United and Arsenal). for me it was mostly done on his passion feeding through the team, which was superb but tactically, I feel we were very limited. It's a very harsh criticsim of Ferguson, but we were a goal up at United, we should have had enough to beat that Arsenal team, who were by the far the worst Arsenal team to come to Goodison in my lifetime. I feel a manager who has a bit about him and some tactical nouse would have got us a victory. As I say, MAYBE im being a tad harsh there.

Status
Not open for further replies.