Why is it always a big No to Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if lack of funds is the main reason Moyes could never get across the line in terms of winning a trophy or cracking the top 4. His pragmatic, conservative approach only takes a team so far. United had huge resources, but he style never changed on the pitch. 11 years and zero away wins at the big clubs, yet Martinez and Carlo cracked that pretty quick because they went with a bit of belief and ambition and had a go. That was never Moyes style, regardless of money.
Yes I agree Martinez went for it and it was good on the eye. We would of been in division 2 now if he can’t come l pppppp
Not sure if lack of funds is the main reason Moyes could never get across the line in terms of winning a trophy or cracking the top 4. His pragmatic, conservative approach only takes a team so far. United had huge resources, but he style never changed on the pitch. 11 years and zero away wins at the big clubs, yet Martinez and Carlo cracked that pretty quick because they went with a bit of belief and ambition and had a go. That was never Moyes style, regardless of money.
yes Martinez had a go and he was easy on the eye for a bit but once he had been worked out , which didn’t take long he was useless, we would of been in EFL league 2 now if he was still there. The Italians style of football was abysmal ten times worse than anything moyes served up.

Martinez won once away at the top clubs in 3 seasons. Ironically against Moyes of course. I doubt he would have beat a Fergie team. That is absolutely not ‘cracking it’.

And Carlo only won big away games at empty stadiums and every stat in the book tells you about the anomalies of away wins last year.
When faced with a crowd we got beat 4-0 by Chelsea, 5-0 by City and lost against Liverpool’s youth team. ‘Cracked it’.
Flukey wins against not-a-Fergie, empty stadium false results - i'll still take it and enjoy the wins. At least the team had a bit of belief in those games and there was a sense of optimism that maybe the curse had been broken. I'd rather that than 11 years of knowing exactly what to expect every single time we went away to the top 4.

Flukey wins against not-a-Fergie, empty stadium false results - i'll still take it and enjoy the wins. At least the team had a bit of belief in those games and there was a sense of optimism that maybe the curse had been broken. I'd rather that than 11 years of knowing exactly what to expect every single time we went away to the top 4.

Martinez won 1 of 18 away games at the ‘big six’. I’ll remind you of the two 4-0 hidings at Liverpool, one of which could genuinely have been 12-0.

The curse isn’t broken and looking at us v City the other day, it isn’t happening anytime soon.

Martinez won 1 of 18 away games at the ‘big six’. I’ll remind you of the two 4-0 hidings at Liverpool, one of which could genuinely have been 12-0.

The curse isn’t broken and looking at us v City the other day, it isn’t happening anytime soon.
We certainly wont if the current manager sends a team out with the attitude/approach they had against City for the rest of the big boys away. Moyes didn't plan on winning away at the top 4 but the City result was it's own kind of white-flag-waiving level special. Even Palace and Saints at least had a go. One did win, one was perhaps unlucky not to. I don't want to watch that again every year.

Why does everyone seem to hate Moyes or the idea of him ever being the manager again. The only thing I ever seem to hear is because he never won anything when he was here but do we forget what he did with us without money.
I just watch us the past so many season and I think he couldn't of done any worse than we have been. Am not saying bring him back just asking the question.
Because he tried to sign our players..all quite normal but unforgivable apparently. He was two good players away from winning stuff with us in several seasons. His nose for a good value player was excellent.
He got a bit big headed with his Manc job but came back down to earth. An excellent manager.

Because he tried to sign our players..all quite normal but unforgivable apparently. He was two good players away from winning stuff with us in several seasons. His nose for a good value player was excellent.
He got a bit big headed with his Manc job but came back down to earth. An excellent manager.
I'm sure a lot of fans of a lot of teams probably think they're only ever a couple of signings away from winning something - probably half the managers think it too. Moyes had/has some good qualities, but if he was 'excellent' surely it wouldn't have taken 8 years to have a good season. Prior to getting the West Ham gig (second time) he was being talked of as going the way of Hughes/Pulis/Pardew etc as having no future in the Prem. Took champions United to their lowest ever Prem league finish, relegated Sunderland with a whimper, nothing noteworthy in Spain or West Ham (first time) and sacked. One-and-a-bit good seasons in 8 years doesn't quite say excellence to me.

Once he'd broken up the Moyes style and implemented his own we were atrocious, Martinez was a charlatan - Liverpool finished that game with 37 shots on goal, 13 of those on target, while all three of Everton's efforts were wide.

I'm sure a lot of fans of a lot of teams probably think they're only ever a couple of signings away from winning something - probably half the managers think it too. Moyes had/has some good qualities, but if he was 'excellent' surely it wouldn't have taken 8 years to have a good season. Prior to getting the West Ham gig (second time) he was being talked of as going the way of Hughes/Pulis/Pardew etc as having no future in the Prem. Took champions United to their lowest ever Prem league finish, relegated Sunderland with a whimper, nothing noteworthy in Spain or West Ham (first time) and sacked. One-and-a-bit good seasons in 8 years doesn't quite say excellence to me.
I could reply in depth after hardly missing a game in his tenure with us, but you spout such drivel it is not worth the effort.

I could reply in depth after hardly missing a game in his tenure with us, but you spout such drivel it is not worth the effort.
My apologies if simply pointing out Moyes' post-Everton career of failure and mediocrity job after job is considered as 'drivel'. I shall be sure to ignore all those years, update my dictionary definition of 'excellent' and provide no more comments as to why perhaps the current Moyes euphoria might be a bit misguided.

Respect for barely missing a game, but come on mate.

He’s been a manager for nearly 25 years now, and hasn’t won a trophy. Excellent managers win trophies.

Has some very good tendencies, and overall has shown how he can be a very good manager, but excellent is not what Moyes is.

Unless excellent in your definition is 13 years of not winning at the “Top 4”, and not winning trophies of course.

Why does everyone seem to hate Moyes or the idea of him ever being the manager again. The only thing I ever seem to hear is because he never won anything when he was here but do we forget what he did with us without money.
I just watch us the past so many season and I think he couldn't of done any worse than we have been. Am not saying bring him back just asking the question.
11 years at Everton, never won a sausage.

No he wasn't!

He will never win a thing in his career. Doesn't have it in him.

He is a perfectly acceptable manager to a certain point. He can thrive when there is no real expectation.

He had some money. He elected to spend it on contract renewals rather than new players. (nothing wrong with that either).

The title begs the question of why it should be "yes". American sports is littered with examples of why "you can never go home again". Even Joe Gibbs couldn't replicate his success, and Billy Martin got four more cracks at the Yankees job without result after the one Series title. Those are among the more successful of the retreads.

Dalglish lifted a League Cup, but it would be quite the stretch to suggest that his second run was on a par with his first. Mourinho won nothing on his second go-round at Chelsea. Ancelotti isn't setting the world on fire at Madrid.

The evidence suggests that it just doesn't work, and it's fairly overwhelming. That's why it's always "no", and that's without even addressing Moyes' specific tactical limitations against the top managers and clubs over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.