Winning Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicoazul

Poster Valuation: #1
One of those phrases that masks that we're a bit lucky. File alongside "its the three points that counts" or "its not about performance, its about points". You can pretty much guarantee that a pundit with a full windsor knot has coined the phrase at some point for some hacks, or want to be internet ninjas, to regurgitate it as a gay soundbyte that does my head in. You may have thought that paragraph was going somewhere, apologies.

Anyway, remember that silky, slick football (two more handles Im not fond of) we were playing pre Christmas period, the pinging passes together thing and going very close (apart from Osman v Larissa, belter that) much to your viewing pleasure. Where did it go? Or did it really happen? "Thats not my Everton".

Thinking about that good football I always see Pienaar in my minds eye, little flicks and cornrowed vision. Is it that we're missing him?

pienaar was the player my season ticket mates were all talking about when i was back at new years. we are missing him. for sure.

btw.. how much would newcastle take 'winning ugly' now? lol! should have kept fat sam. it's funny really. they are in a relegation dog fight and sack a manager who has spent most of his top flight career dodging the drop for.....drum roll..... kevin keegan! you just couldn't make it up!

definatly missing pienaar, osman has been poor without him in the midfield, only today when we pushed up did osman get hold of the ball and look threatening.

We're just not firing in attack at the moment. Osman isn't fit really and I don't suppose Manny is either after so long out. Cahill looks really out of sorts, Pienaar is away and AJ still doesn't really convince as a lone striker.

On the plus side though the defence has really come on. We were conceding goals quite frequently early in the season but they look water tight at the moment.

Thought ossie was MoM today, loads of the ball an used it well. Jags an yobo were great aswell. offday for to many players. lescott,neville,cahill,arteta,AJ but we still won.

And I was going to pay £100 for that match...

Didn't book my ticket with Escla in time, and I was going to get the train so that I could see the Yak live. Train and ticket, plus taxi (so I didn't miss the return) would have set me back £5 short of £100.

Having seen the match, it really was a "grind out win". Perhaps Neville is right, the second half of the season is more about results than football.

I really can't wait for Pienaar to return as I think he's the part of the midfield jigsaw that we are really missing.

Just a word on Vaughan. I've said for sometime that he should start, even if it means dropping AJ (even though they linked up well), And if that bicycle kick had gone in, it would have counted as one of the great Goodison goals.

If that bicycle went in, there would be calls to involve him in England and they'd be talking about the next Wayne Rooney, but I know even without him scoring that goal, he will be an absolute great, he has so much ability its scary.

Last edited:
If that bicycle went in, there would be calls to involve him in England and they'd be talking about the next Wayne Rooney, but I know even without him scoring that goal, he will be an absolute great, he has so much ability its scary.

EDIT: I was actually meant to post this in the James Vaughan section

just watching him today actually look for one of the first times 100% fit he looked like he could be still the next big superstar, but hopefully for us and no other club :dodgy:

I remember at the end of last season I thought he was going to be a major hit this season but then he got injured at the start, [Poor language removed] I'd love to see him a run of games, he'd kick ass.

Whish we saw more of the pace we saw today, remember it stating he holds loads of records for the fastest sprinter at some many age groups.

I said in the match thread before h/t to get Vaughn on and Manny off and it helped but I have a sneaking suspicion that there is more going wrong behind the scenes than we know off. Moyes manner over recent weeks has been abrupt, there is even less humour about him than normal, and that is saying something. I can't decide if we have over performed earlier in the season and have now reached out level or we are under performing now. I feel sure he needs to appoint an assistant to help him take the strain sooner rather than later

The departure of Faddy could well have had an adverse effect on team moral, Yaks pissing about certainly will not have helped. Could it be that Fernandes return hasn't gone down well in the changing room I'm not sure but we need to get back to where we were and pretty quickly because after todays poor performance I can see this season coming apart at the seams, I'm far from happy at the moment (n)(n)(n)

Winning ugly doesnt quite do it justice, it was hideous!
It was like watching a game of volleyball or head tennis or something that has naff all to do with feet!
It reminded me of a few seasons ago when we couldnt score a goal to save our lives but still managed to grind out 1 nil's and hey presto - we finished fourth.
Even in THAT season we were far from pretty to watch.
With regards to DM, no ideas - but I agree he's looking more like Victor Meldrew every week. Perhaps the board promised some cash after Faddy left, maybe he's just got women troubles, who knows.
At least he acted promptly yesterday when it was obvious we didnt look like scoring. Though some would say (including me) that Vaughan should start anyway.

I didnt see the Blackburn game, but from the comments I read we played quite good? So we arent consistently performing badly.

Also I dont think theres anything wrong behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back