With “fans outside Merseyside” being a common insult to the reds, why are the scouser Everton fans thoughts on international Everton fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I support Everton because of my Dad. He was born in 1961 and chose to support Everton because he liked Joe Royle, Bob Latchford etc...

I've had a season ticket for 8 years now usually taking the train to home & away matches and I set up a group on Facebook for Everton fans in Chelmsford & Essex 12 years ago which now has around 120 members. and I was also an ESCLA member. Going to the matches the travelling as a group with lots of other Evertonians I've made a lot of good friends through this the social part of going to football is sometimes what keeps me motivated to keep coming back and renewing for more which makes up for some of the terrible football!

I've found 99.9% of local Evertonians to be very decent with me with all the blues I've met over the years there's only been a small handful of them who seem to take offence to someone not living on County Road.

The only two games a season I don't enjoy travelling to are Liverpool & Man Utd away. The trains are always full and standing room only if you're not quick to the platform!

Personally, I think if you're a foreigner and you choose to support us over a Big 6 team, 1) you're clearly mad and 2) congrats for not going for the obvious choice. I know the two Tims gained us a lot of Aussie and American fans respectively. Tosun's gained us loads of Turks as well if Facebook's anything to go by.
Sadly I can't say the same about our former Dutch players

This was The Irish Toffees, I run these events as a committee member, that's the junior blues trip which we run every year. Great trip and gets the kids interested early.
A season ticket holder myself and a few other members have ST's too. I got to nine games this season and never sell the others for more than face value.

talking about irish fans ,one matchday I went to pick up friends at the Novotel ,Hanover St. The place was rammed with Blues of all ages.

Been with the blues since I was 11 back in 85. Got lorded over by the legions of utd n pool fans over the years here in Singapore but never flinched.
Finally saw the blues live in 2017 at goodison, having saved up for many a year to make that trip. Got thumped 3 nil by Chelsea but boy I wouldn't have traded that experience for anything in the world!
In short, if any smart ass tells me I'm a lesser blue coz of where i come from, well they can shove it where the sun dun shine!

My mindset has always been that people should support their local team, but then that's easy to say when you happen to have been born in a city with two top division ever-presents. Also, I was at school during the Walter years, and the only possible response to Liverpool's blag treble was to remind the Reds that the Kop is filled with wools.
For many kids you get indoctrinated. My dad wasn’t even a big football fan. He was into Gaelic and rugby, but he said Everton and that was my fate sealed. I grew up in Warrington. 90% were Man U and Liverpool. It was a thankless task supporting the blues, but god bless hk. It all came good and it was worth the wait.

For many kids you get indoctrinated. My dad wasn’t even a big football fan. He was into Gaelic and rugby, but he said Everton and that was my fate sealed. I grew up in Warrington. 90% were Man U and Liverpool. It was a thankless task supporting the blues, but god bless hk. It all came good and it was worth the wait.
I totally get that. Ultimately, I support Everton because my dad told me that I did, and I imagine I'd do the same with my own kids.

On the other hand, I have friends that are bang into American sports, and support their NFL teams as rabidly as they do Everton, but I just can't help but think it's weird how they've contrived a connection out of thin air.

Most important part of our club is the direct local community. It’s what it can offer to those around the area first and foremost. It’s great people from outside the area care about the club and want to support it but it should always be for those who need it in the local community.

I've said this several times and don't want to tire it out, but I think there are some consistencies for all non-Scouse/non-family Blues:

a) every club has a "brand" (as much as people hate talking about this, its true)
b) the Everton brand is very community oriented, and although that's a different experience for non-local Blues, that still means a lot to most of us

(furthermore, I think EITC will be a big part of the club's brand expansion moving forward, although I get more pushback on that)

On the other hand, I have friends that are bang into American sports, and support their NFL teams as rabidly as they do Everton, but I just can't help but think it's weird how they've contrived a connection out of thin air.

This is probably a topic for another day/thread, but look at us here at GOT. It's a digital world, and people desire and make connections differently than they did before. That doesn't mean things have necessarily changed for the worse, but it is unlike how things used to be.

I don't think the problem is the actual 'fans from outside merseyside' the problem is kopites from outside liverpool being complete arseholes despite having never set foot in anfield
Or banging on about Hillsborough and the 96 while knowing nothing about it.

I am being a bit unfair as I'm not a scouser myself. I support Everton because I have family ties. I could have just as easily ended up being a Man City supporter, if my first match had been a City one. The wrong uncle got me (jesus that sounds wrong).

This is probably a topic for another day/thread, but look at us here at GOT. It's a digital world, and people desire and make connections differently than they did before. That doesn't mean things have necessarily changed for the worse, but it is unlike how things used to be.
I'm definitely a bit of a luddite in a lot of ways.

Maybe one day I'll have a son who'll hassle me into taking him to an NFL game at Wembley. The punishment would fit the crime.

I've said this several times and don't want to tire it out, but I think there are some consistencies for all non-Scouse/non-family Blues:

a) every club has a "brand" (as much as people hate talking about this, its true)
b) the Everton brand is very community oriented, and although that's a different experience for non-local Blues, that still means a lot to most of us

(furthermore, I think EITC will be a big part of the club's brand expansion moving forward, although I get more pushback on that)
Tbf, that (local) community oriented stuff is something I'm convinced, that makes us foreign Blues even prouder to be a part of this club. The EITC work really is 2nd to none and some of the stuff you read/hear about or able to watch is just superb.

The one aspect of Everton that will hopefully never ever change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back