wondered where he went (boxing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitsBlue

Player Valuation: £50m
Haye ready for heavyweight debut

David Haye faces a weight disadvantage of a stone on his heavyweight debut against Tomasz Bonin on Friday.

The 26-year-old Haye, who made his name at cruiserweight before deciding to make the step up to heavyweight, tipped the scales at 15st 7lbs.

Bonin will prove a tough first contest at Wembley Arena having lost just one of his 38 bouts to Audley Harrison.

Haye said: "Bonin's a solid fighter who is expected to use his weight advantage to try and rough me up."

The Londoner, who sees his future at heavyweight, added: "I don't underestimate Bonin at all. I've looked at a lot of his fights, he's very strong, he's got a very good chin, he is durable and I don't expect to take him out early doors.

"The only way I'll get this guy out of there is if I grind him down and I see a late stoppage."

Poland's Bonin, who weighed in at 16st 7lbs, is unbeaten in 11 fights since his loss to Harrison in 2004.

Haye made the decision to move up to heavyweight earlier this year.

"It's a crazy step up, one I can't remember any other British fighter making," Haye told BBC Five Live earlier this month.

"This guy's ranked number 11 in the world and I haven't even got a heavyweight ranking.

"I'm looking at making changes in this sport for sure. If you asked me when I was three years old, I'd say I'm going to be the heavyweight champion of world. I never said cruiserweight.

"It's what I wanted to do since I can remember. I always wanted to be the main man in boxing.

"I want everyone to recognise I can beat every other boxer in the world. That's why I'm fighting the guy I'm fighting. I really want to prove to everyone I am the man."

Haye has also lost just once, to Carl Thompson in 2004, and has stopped 17 of his 18 victims, with only Ismael Abdoul lasting the full 12 rounds last year.

Despite putting all his focus into facing Bonin, Haye is still lined up for a world cruiserweight title clash against Frenchman Jean-Marc Mormeck in the autumn.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/6598365.stm

middle > cruiser > light heavy > heavy

thats some step up in weight and power. more money at the top end though.

I think he will come crashing down, he won't have the same power at heavy and against carl the cat thompson showed he doesn't (or didn't) have the legs to go a rough 12 rounds.

Bonin by a "shock" stoppage is my bet.

i reckon he will get past bonin no probs, the thompson fight was nearly over first or second round, thompson floored and all over the ropes, THEN haye was all punched out and tired.

i suspect his stamina and boxing brain/experience will have improved

cant see him moving the russian giant though.

He was on Soccer AM a couple of weeks ago. quality fella. I truly hope he does this.

I think he will come crashing down, he won't have the same power at heavy and against carl the cat thompson showed he doesn't (or didn't) have the legs to go a rough 12 rounds.

Bonin by a "shock" stoppage is my bet.

How wrong can one person be

Nice one for "THE HAYMAKER"

1 Min 45 seconds. Point perfect punches.

Nuff said:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Last edited by a moderator:

I assume Haye won?? Skysports hasn't updated yet.

Yup, caught bonin with a couple of Rhino stoppers. Very good debut performance.

I have to admit, I dont think Bonin was expecting to get hit that hard that fast and that early. Still, when opportunity knocks!!

Here is what Haye said before the fight:

"Tomasz Bonin's a very solid fighter who's expected to come out and attack me and use his weight advantage to try and rough me up," he said.

"I don't underestimate Bonin at all. I've looked at a lot of his fights, he's very strong, he's got a very good chin, he is durable and I don't expect to take him out early doors.

"I expect the only way I'll get this guy out of there is if I grind him down over the distance and I probably see a late stoppage."

Looks like he paid him all the right compliments and psyched him out. Good stuff, wish I could see the fight here. :(

i havnt sen it, i didnt realise it was tonight as it seems it was.

it will be on grandstand or whatever saturday bbc sport is called now.

who the hell has this bonin been fighting then... 38 fights unbeaten...

ah well, thats heavyweight boxing for ya, well done davey lad.

I downloaded the fight, reminded me of lewis that lovely jab and right hand combo.

Still, haye is still to be tested against a heavyweight that doesn't go away and sit on chest for 12 rounds. 18 stone leaning on you for a long time is a big test of anyones physical fitness.

Back down to cruiser for haye now, to face mormeck, I personally think haye will beat mormeck because I saw o'neil bell kill him the first time they fought.

but then I could be wrong.... again.

oh I dunno... I have a good track record ;)

then again, I did make the tipster semi-final only to balls it up and forget to turn up for the game!! D'oh... :lol:

Just heard Haye talking to Lovejoy on Soccer AM. great interview, should be fighting again around September/October. he admits not being hit was a bonus, but also admits his right is an unstoppable force when it lands. Watch this space, could be a hero in the making. Only person ever to beat Bonin was Audley harrison over 9 rounds and we all know what a chump he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back