2023/24 Seamus Coleman

But he's never available so it's just wasted wages. How many separate blocks of time off injured did he have this season? About 5?
So if you can pull out of the hat a RB for free who can drop straight into the squad and be on Seamus’ wages, I will agree.
Until then it’s just wishful thinking.
We’re skint.

We have Patterson, Godfrey and at a push Garner that can slot in there if required right now. We need to shed wages not keep them.
Fair point but the bigger picture maybe we may have to sell 2 of those to fund other areas of the pitch.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Patterson and Godfrey.

He’s been crap/injured for about 5 years. Pointless contract extension.
9ff.gif

25 appearances last year
10 appareances this year
It'll be less next year

I find it quite disappointing tbh that we're still at a stage needing to offer him another year and him believing he'll still have a major role to play
These are the type of deals, i wish we would stop, and stop giving them for sentimental reasons. Next they will give Young a new deal for playing more than coleman etc lol. It's all well and good what he has done over the years, but we have to move on and try and stop trying to bring the past to the present, like they havent aged. How many games in reality will he play next season.

A few years ago I'd have considered this a stupid sentimental move, but now, considering our position. I think it a smart move to give him a years extension. He's one of the few players who always fights for the club no matter how grim things are. In the position we're currently in I'd rather have a fighter like Shamus who's over the hill then a younger player who's not up for the fight.

*sigh*

Sooner or later we have to replace him, and the injuries say sooner. Say what you will about needing to upgrade the wings, but at least they actually started matches.

Sick notes are top priority upgrades.

If anyone deserves another season it's Seamus....however, I don't think it's healthy for the club that we should be doing this.

I think what might happen is that Coleman is retained as a stand in for a new RB yet to come in; Patterson will be sold or moved on; Young will also be retained to fill in at both FB berths in a crisis.

We'll have to have an upgrade for sure at RB.

This is a moment in time thing. Major overhaul required but we do not have the funds to do so. We will need to be pragmatic with some of our decisions on playing staff.

Another year might be likely and I guess we be saying take a pay cut and do your badges