2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure you know this isn’t smart.

Ok so if we have injuries to Gordon and Gray, who is lining up in a front three alongside Maupay and McNeill?

Doesn’t matter how smart or not it is, at that point if we want to play a wide player, the only option we have left in the squad would be to use Iwobi there.

Hence why I’m calling for us to strengthen that position in January. I actually think we should have kept hold of Dobbin as well because he’d get games this season if there were a few injuries.

Another option once DCL is back is to maybe move Maupay wide.

Ok so if we have injuries to Gordon and Gray, who is lining up in a front three alongside Maupay and McNeill?

Doesn’t matter how smart or not it is, at that point if we want to play a wide player, the only option we have left in the squad would be to use Iwobi there.

Hence why I’m calling for us to strengthen that position in January. I actually think we should have kept hold of Dobbin as well because he’d get games this season if there were a few injuries.

Another option once Dominic Calvert-Lewin is back is to maybe move Maupay wide.

Or not shove players into positions they’re not great at? There are other formations in that scenario.

Another option once Dominic Calvert-Lewin is back is to maybe move Maupay wide.
One winger in January, another in summer and we are looking fairly decent!

Obviously attacking players tend to be the most expensive and hardest to find but what a turnaround for this squad

We can complain all we want, but we cannot overhaul the squad in one or two windows.

We've been crying out for a midfield and better CBs for years, and we finally did something about it this last window

We will eventually get attacking players in, but honestly, we simply had to do something about the spine of the team in the summer or we'd be in a relegation dogfight again.

Thankfully, new management prioritised that part of the team, rather than the shiny toys of attacking talent.

Nah reckon we need a forward. It looks like we were after one in the Summer so hopefully a deal is already being done now. Linked with some strikers over the weekend.

Never speak in absolutes, if we have a long term target available on a decent deal, fine. But the Jan market to my mind is often rank and marked with desperation and you are paying premiums in the main. I’d like to look at discerningly rather than desperately.

Though I think it could be hot enough and a different dynamic on the back of the World Cup.

Still be more than happy to hold tight until the summer market.

Never speak in absolutes, if we have a long term target available on a decent deal, fine. But the Jan market to my mind is often rank and marked with desperation and you are paying premiums in the main. I’d like to look at discerningly rather than desperately.

Though I think it could be hot enough and a different dynamic on the back of the World Cup.

Still be more than happy to hold tight until the summer market.

The Summer under Thelwell hasn’t really given me the impression we’d pay a premium for anyone.

The Summer under Thelwell hasn’t really given me the impression we’d pay a premium for anyone.

Which is why I think we will & should wait until the summer, unless a long term value shoe falls. Personally think it will be a more inflated market then usual, given the WC dynamic, money is going to change hands and trickle about.

Relative to his track record we paid a premium for Onana.

Going back to the last regime, what was essentially a swap of an established player in Digne for two unknown kids in Patterson & Mykolenko, it seemed like an overpay for those two, thankfully we seem to have gotten the better of it now that both are panning out.

Fat Frank has been a very happy surprise to me and the fact that he saved EFC from relegation means that
whatever he does in future he will always be a star. In addition, he is clearly building his own team in an intelligent
way and he has generated that priceless factor as Fergie says often in his books, confidence.

However he has done a couple of rubbish things as well, at least in my book called, Deli Ali and Dwight. 5 managers at Spurs passed
on the playboy yet FF and his uncle thought they could turn around a slowing, ex-star who had lost ability and motivation. Now the
[Poor language removed]-hound has years more of massive money from a club with money issues! Dwight is better than Ali but exactly the wrong buy. Slow,
one-footed he entirely lacks the x factor. 20 million or thereabouts for a bloke who was bang-average and who will be replaced asap. A bench warmer.

We still have the loan option available in January and I'd expect us to pursue that avenue first. We do need more options up front and wide. I'm not in agreement with the view that the January window can be passed up for a club in our position. Sensible business can be done as much then as in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.