2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maupay is a 10 goal a season at best striker, but not suited to playing the lone role.

Mcneil just went over 50 games without scoring

Gray is only consistent in that he is extremely inconsistent. Enormous amounts of ability but has never scored regularly and has far more poor games than good games.

Our only difference maker is Calvert-Lewin but he is still a long way off getting back to his best, and there is no certainty he ever will.

Gordon obviously was suspended, but hes also not yet ready to carry the burden of leading a top flight front line. And again, we dont really know yet if he will ever make that step up from being just a good player to a really great player.

Add up all those ingredients, and we have nowhere near enough firepower. The options are just not good enough for a club our size.
But it is still made much harder when you do not give them a constant supply of the ball in good areas. Yes they are partially to blame but there is not enough coming from behind them and we aren't playing in good areas basically ever. This is in majority part management and tactics.

We got beat by a better team. We had chances to take the lead but weren't good enough.

Saying we lost because of tactics is just wrong in my view and we arent going to agree. I'm much more annoyed by the United loss than this one because we need to be able to rely on our home form.

I dont like the way we play but I dont think we can play any other way. I want to enjoy watching us play but we don't have the players. This is all the result of the Moshiri mistakes and it will take years to try and fix it.
This essentially. It should be clear for all to see

I really believe the front line is made to look a lot worse by the management

Gordon, McNeil, and Gray lose the ball easily, don't find a pass (or even pass), miss chances, hit and miss creatively, zero intelligence. Maupay gets nothing to work from, rarely given anything inside the box.

Individually that's how they play. You can't expect them to suddenly play like Mane, Firmino, and Salah under a different manager. They're not that skilled to even attempt that.

Gordon, McNeil, and Gray lose the ball easily, don't find a pass (or even pass), miss chances, hit and miss creatively, zero intelligence. Maupay gets nothing to work from, rarely given anything inside the box.

Individually that's how they play. You can't expect them to suddenly play like Mane, Firmino, and Salah under a different manager. They're not that skilled to even attempt that.
McNeil was given absolutely no chance today. I don't rate how he's playing but you can't put him in a hopeless spot and then blame him and not the guy who set it up.

We got beat by a better team. We had chances to take the lead but weren't good enough.

Saying we lost because of tactics is just wrong in my view and we arent going to agree. I'm much more annoyed by the United loss than this one because we need to be able to rely on our home form.

I dont like the way we play but I dont think we can play any other way. I want to enjoy watching us play but we don't have the players. This is all the result of the Moshiri mistakes and it will take years to try and fix it.

A large amount of people didn't like how we played under Ancellotti - the washed up, Italian Sam Allerdyce we're the shouts FFS.

A modern observer who understands that football shouldn't only be judged by results, yes indeed.

What's wild is some people seem to think this was fine despite both the performance and result stinking which is a new one.
I'm not sure that's a particularly new thing mate.

No, you just have your usual divergent take to many on here. You think you are right, others think their take is right. It's how it goes.

But it is still made much harder when you do not give them a constant supply of the ball in good areas. Yes they are partially to blame but there is not enough coming from behind them and we aren't playing in good areas basically ever. This is in majority part management and tactics.
I want to play an expensive game like you do. I want to see Everton playing an aggressive, high energy, direct, attacking brand of football because that is Everton football. But we simply do not have the players to do that against good opposition and there are lots of good teams in this league. There are no easy games when you have a team like ours.

You can only play the way you want to play if you have the talent and personnel to do it effectively. Letting philosophy overrule pragmatism in this league will 99% of the time end in failure.

I'll give you another example from another sport. When I watch the Packers tomorrow I would love to see Aaron Rodgers airing it down the field for big plays because that's what Rodgers does best. But throwing it deep in the usual Packers manner is not working and will not work with such a lack of talent and experience at receiver. If they stick to that gameplan they will lose the game. If they play a Conservative run based game, which is their strength, they will probably win.

Lampard learned that the only way he could turn things around here was through pragmatism. I'm almost certain he doesn't want to play like this, but if he hadn't changed his approach last spring, we'd have been playing somewhere a lot less glamorous today.

A modern observer who understands that football shouldn't only be judged by results, yes indeed.

What's wild is some people seem to think this was fine despite both the performance and result stinking which is a new one.
Are we not all 'modern observers' or do I exist in the past? (What is a modern observer?)

It's not that the performance is fine, it's that most are understanding of the position we are in as a club currently compared to a team like Spurs, and understand that it's foolish to try and go toe to toe and outplay clubs who are much better than us currentlywith better players etc, so our manager will change tactically in order to try and negate that.

People seem to forget we scraped survival last season and have a significant amount of new players who have played a handful of games together.

Status
Not open for further replies.