2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully expect us to go for it when we play Bournemouth and be playing to win. Being 'way way way way more competitive' (as im sensing you think to be competitive you have to be mich more attacking). We tried to play a defensive game and nick a win tonight, it didn't come off (May have been different had gray or onana scored their chances) and I don't blame Lampard for taking that approach because of where we currently are compared to Spurs in terms of transitions and squads available.
It doesn't come off. It's bad strategy.

I disagree. A lot of little things come from playing together regularly. It's why international football tends to be sloppy, and probably why national team managers tend to be reluctant to change players when it seems obvious to an outsider that they probably should.

Part of why the Spanish national team was dominant for so long was that the engine room played together week in, week out. It wasn't just the quality of the players. It was that they knew exactly where they needed to be, when, to both maintain possession and progress the ball.
OK fine, we can come back to this. I don't see a manager breeding that continuity though.

Look guys whether you believe in Frank long term or not (seems most everyone does) today was bad from him and if you're denying that you're a little too blue tinted glasses on this one. Plenty of teams have put better efforts in against Spurs than that. It was a little too loserball for me. Never trying from the start to win it.
I don't see how today was on the manager TBH. Not blue tinted at all. We were playing at the 3rd best team in the league with a world class manager, and in the end were undone by a Pickford howler.
We're getting beat handily on Wednesday too.

All eyes on Palace at home.

I stil cant believe he let us go into the season with sicknote and Maupay thinking we'd be ok.
We had a monumental job on in the summer window, we were always going to be short somewhere.

I don't see how today was on the manager TBH. Not blue tinted at all. We were playing at the 3rd best team in the league with a world class manager, and in the end were undone by a Pickford howler.

We had a monumental job on in the summer window, we were always going to be short somewhere.
This was the moment but I think you're missing the forest if you think we lost because of that alone.

From where it was when he started? Yeah. From last season? No.

And frankly I think most of the improvement from Rafael is really just the emotional side. They don't hate coming to work. Which matters and is good but tactically it isn't much better.

Tactically - we're much better defensively. I don't expect a goal every conceded corner now.

Offensively wise - touché

Not forever but I'm going to back him for a number of years and see if we can move forward.

Hes been here 9 months
And made no progress. Would have rather played 4-3-3 and got tonked than lost 2-0 playing 5-3-2 in a way we can't ever expect to work and just wasted the game completely. No points, no growth, no positives.

The best example of a guy taking a long time to click right now is Arteta. Working on the system was everything for him even when he didn't have the players. Are we doing that?

And made no progress. Would have rather played 4-3-3 and got tonked than lost 2-0 playing 5-3-2 in a way we can't ever expect to work and just wasted the game completely. No points, no growth, no positives.

The best example of a guy taking a long time to click right now is Arteta. Working on the system was everything for him even when he didn't have the players. Are we doing that?
Arteta has had enormous money spent on his squad. And he had some shocking results in his first couple of years. But he's a good manager and it was smart to continue to back him. I feel exactly the same about Lampard, only our progression will be slower and our ceiling will be lower, because we are crap. Thats why anything better than 16th this year is ok.

I wanted Arteta when we sacked Silva. I'm a big fan. I see Lampard as the nearest fit. That's why I wanted him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back