2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I see it different I don't watch?

There is still no passing structure in attack. Everything is wide and crossing. The midfield doesn't control games against anyone decent. The defending is still meh and mostly relying on the keeper for bailouts. It hasn't been that good. We're 14th and deserve to be.

Horrendous take. The defence has been solid and last season it was a complete and utter bin fire. The defence was fine today and the goalkeeper cost us.

We'd be 14th with Benitez and this midfield as opposed to Allan and Doucoure
This midfield wouldn't have joined benitez. Firstly Thelwall would likely not be here. Then, Onana specifically has said it was a call from lampard. And iwobi was here but benitez wasn't good enough to get him playing like he has been.

So it's an impossible scenario to even suggest would be the case.

This midfield wouldn't have joined benitez. Firstly Thelwall would likely not be here. Then, Onana specifically has said it was a call from lampard. And iwobi was here but benitez wasn't good enough to get him playing like he has been.

So it's an impossible scenario to even suggest would be the case.
Yeah that's fair, my point is more the improvement is a result of recruitment and atmosphere and nothing tactical. Rafael would not fix either problem so yes ultimately you're right.

It's a bad plan. You gotta have more even if it doesn't work sometimes.

For example Brighton played Spurs and it didn't work but it was way way way more competitive and to me that matters.
Bluntly, they pass better. They can string ten passes together. This lets them see more of the ball and create more.

They have also been playing together for a bit. The only outfield players that started who have been here for more than a year were Coleman, Iwobi and Gray. We showed flashes of moving the ball from time to time, but players didn't consistently find the open spaces and when they did ball weighting was often questionable.

That should start sorting itself out over time. Players will start knowing where other players will tend to dribble to, as well as how to hit the specific targets they're working with in stride. That will keep us from having to back pass to Pickford and Tarkowski to lump it forward under pressure and concede possession.

Sorry I have standards for the club mate. Maybe one day you'll join me.
I have very high standards. The fact that our stature in English football is as low as its ever been, is absolutely unacceptable, and the board should have resigned last year in embarrassment. I wont be happy until they are gone because we wont ever be successful again until they are gone.

But the players we have are the players we have. We cant magic away the impact of 6 or 7 years of chaotic decisions off the field. We are not going to compete playing expensively because we dont have quality to put the ball in the net. We are not going to win games if we cant keep clean sheets.

It's a bad plan. You gotta have more even if it doesn't work sometimes.

For example Brighton played Spurs and it didn't work but it was way way way more competitive and to me that matters.
Being 'competitive' (in the way you are suggesting)and losing every match is relegation. You know that right? So while it does matter, it needs to balanced with targeting games and at this point in our transition, accepting we won't be competitive in every game.

Bluntly, they pass better. They can string ten passes together. This lets them see more of the ball and create more.

They have also been playing together for a bit. The only players that started who have been here for more than a year were Coleman, Iwobi and Gray. We showed flashes of moving the ball from time to time, but players didn't consistently find the open spaces and when they did ball weighting was often questionable.

That should start sorting itself out over time. Players will start knowing where other players will tend to dribble to, as well as how to hit the specific targets they're working with in stride. That will keep us from having to back pass to Pickford and Tarkowski to lump it forward under pressure and concede possession.
Do they pass better because the players are better or because they're coached better?

You know my answer.

I have very high standards. The fact that our stature in English football is as low as its ever been, is absolutely unacceptable, and the board should have resigned last year in embarrassment. I wont be happy until they are gone because we wont ever be successful again until they are gone.

But the players we have are the players we have. We cant magic away the impact of 6 or 7 years of chaotic decisions off the field. We are not going to compete playing expensively because we dont have quality to put the ball in the net. We are not going to win games if we cant keep clean sheets.
The manager we have doesn't have to be the manager we have

Being 'competitive' (in the way you are suggesting)and losing every match is relegation. You know that right? So while it does matter, it needs to balanced with targeting games and at this point in our transition, accepting we won't be competitive in every game.
If we're competitive against Spurs what does that make us against Bournemouth?

Do they pass better because the players are better or because they're coached better?

You know my answer.
I disagree. A lot of little things come from playing together regularly. It's why international football tends to be sloppy, and probably why national team managers tend to be reluctant to change players when it seems obvious to an outsider that they probably should.

Part of why the Spanish national team was dominant for so long was that the engine room played together week in, week out. It wasn't just the quality of the players. It was that they knew exactly where they needed to be, when, to both maintain possession and progress the ball.

If we're competitive against Spurs what does that make us against Bournemouth?
I fully expect us to go for it when we play Bournemouth and be playing to win. Being 'way way way way more competitive' (as im sensing you think to be competitive you have to be mich more attacking). We tried to play a defensive game and nick a win tonight, it didn't come off (May have been different had gray or onana scored their chances) and I don't blame Lampard for taking that approach because of where we currently are compared to Spurs in terms of transitions and squads available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back