2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i just don't think it'd solve anything like because the players are turbo-tosh

We let the last manager rip the squad of any creativity and then this one hasn't found a way to get patterns of play going to make up for it.

It's a bit of chicken and egg in that regard because I think it's a bit of both the manager not having an idea of exactly how he wants us to attack and the players not being good enough to make the right decision on the ball.

A good manager gets the best from the squad they are working with.

Brentford aint filled with superstars and Toney aside I wouldn't say any of their players are stars.

Moyes got 4th with Marcus Bent up top.

We aint attracting top players finishing bottom 6 every season and in relegation scraps so until we appoint a manager good enough to overachieve with what we have we'll continue to circle the drain.

Unfortunately my opinion since the summer is that forwards are by far the most important position on the field. And you cant avoid a relegation fight if you have a bottom 3 front line.

And to make things worse, the money spent on the midfield appears to have been totally wasted. Onana is not a 30m player ( not yet anyway and not for a club like us with limited funds), Garner doesn't even play and Gueye is just as poor as he always has been.

The proof is in the pudding every week on the pitch. We neglected the key weakness in attack, and we wasted a lot of money on players not of a high enough calibre to play for Everton.

Nothing I have seen has changed my mind and made me think my concerns in August were wrong. In fact I probably underestimated our goalscoring problem.
I agree - and you know i did in the summer - that we needed more forwards. Leaving it until five games had gone reflected dreadfully on the divs at the top of the club and that includes Thelwell.

I honestly do not get the Garner signing. Gana was never a poor player for us and still isn't. He's not as good as he was but he is not a ball-playing 6, so again I do not know why we've signed him as one.

The deals that baffled me the most were Garner (why not put that money towards a forward?) and McNeil - that was just a stupid, stupid signing.

I don't mind Maupay if you have an idea to play him in a certain way but he's never a sole striker in a team that needs to go direct and doesn't get 4-5 players into the box while playing the ball on the floor.

A good manager gets the best from the squad they are working with.

Brentford aint filled with superstars and Toney aside I wouldn't say any of their players are stars.

Moyes got 4th with Marcus Bent up top.

We aint attracting top players finishing bottom 6 every season and in relegation scraps so until we appoint a manager good enough to overachieve with what we have we'll continue to circle the drain.
There's far better managers in this league than Frank Lampard. I've never disagreed on that.

FWIW, Brentford had won one of their last NINE league games before today, so we can all jump off that train for now btw.

Thomas Frank has done wonders, but they've taken less points from their last nine than we have.

I agree - and you know i did in the summer - that we needed more forwards. Leaving it until five games had gone reflected dreadfully on the divs at the top of the club and that includes Thelwell.

I honestly do not get the Garner signing. Gana was never a poor player for us and still isn't. He's not as good as he was but he is not a ball-playing 6, so again I do not know why we've signed him as one.

The deals that baffled me the most were Garner (why not put that money towards a forward?) and McNeil - that was just a stupid, stupid signing.

I don't mind Maupay if you have an idea to play him in a certain way but he's never a sole striker in a team that needs to go direct and doesn't get 4-5 players into the box while playing the ball on the floor.
I never got the hype with Gueye. The only time I thought he was effective was the handful of games he played along with Barry in the season they overlapped here.

If you cant pass a football properly then you aren't a good midfield player. His lack of discipline is also a real problem when you are trying to be organised and hard to play through.

I've no idea what Onana was supposed to be doing today either. But I think that was more on the bizarre tactics from Lampard

We have zero more room for error this January. If we dont get exactly the players we need, I.e. 2 good forwards then we are gone. Another Maupay or McNeil signing and we are not going to get away with it this season.

There's far better managers in this league than Frank Lampard. I've never disagreed on that.

FWIW, Brentford had won one of their last NINE league games before today, so we can all jump off that train for now btw.

Thomas Frank has done wonders, but they've taken less points from their last nine than we have.

Brentford minus Toney and that Wissa have a squad of largely championship quality players mate - their manager is working wonders there with minimal investment and having lost Eriksen.

Do you think we'll go down this season ?

All this talk of us signing 2-3 top attacking players is for the birds - we aint signing quality players in January in 17th place when we're still hamstrung slightly by FFP.

Our only hope was Lampard could put an effective system in place but thats looking unlikely - if we dont find someone to get the best from this current squad I think many on here's worst nightmare will come true tbh.

@ForeverBlue92 you brought in the TF example - and I think he's clearly a good manager - but these are their last results since they beat Leeds 5-2 in early Sept.

0-3 Arsenal (H)

0-0 Bournemouth (A)

1-5 Newcastle (A)

2-0 Brighton (H)

0-0 Chelsea (H)

0-4 Villa (A)

1-1 Wolves (H)

2-2 Forest (A)

2-1 City (A)

GOALS FOR: 6
GOALS AGAINST: 16

So in terms of points it's actually an identical record in the last nine league games, I'll correct myself! 10 points from 9 for each.

Brentford minus Toney and that Wissa have a squad of largely championship quality players mate - their manager is working wonders there with minimal investment and having lost Eriksen.

Do you think we'll go down this season ?

All this talk of us signing 2-3 top attacking players is for the birds - we aint signing quality players in January in 17th when we're still hamstrung slightly by FFP.

Our only hope was Lampard could put an effective system in place but thats looking unlikely - if we dont find someone to get the best from this current squad I think many on here's worst nightmare will come true tbh.
I don't know what you think our squad is made up of mate but it's definitely not much better than Brentford's.

I think exactly what i did at the end of August when we failed to get a quality attacker in - that if it doesn't change in that regard in January, we'll be right in the mire come March. I think any manager (and if Frank goes, he goes) would need that player in, at the very least, to avoid that.

This team isn't good enough for an effective system because we have no goals in it. The forwards are CRAP. Honestly can't get over how bad they are. Gray, Gordon and McNeil being your creative forwards is disgraceful. For any manager.

I'm not saying another manager wouldn't be an improvement, they might well be and like I said I think FL is down the list when it comes to quality. But whichever manager was in charge would need attacking reinforcements.

I never got the hype with Gueye. The only time I thought he was effective was the handful of games he played along with Barry in the season they overlapped here.

If you cant pass a football properly then you aren't a good midfield player. His lack of discipline is also a real problem when you are trying to be organised and hard to play through.

I've no idea what Onana was supposed to be doing today either. But I think that was more on the bizarre tactics from Lampard

We have zero more room for error this January. If we dont get exactly the players we need, I.e. 2 good forwards then we are gone. Another Maupay or McNeil signing and we are not going to get away with it this season.
I mean if you didn't think Gana was good in his final season here, that second half of the season especially when we were great at home under Silva, then I don't know what you were watching. But he's a very specific player now - and he was then - and he's definitely not a ball-playing six, especially when the other two midfielders are running away from him both on and off the ball.

Lampard's midfield set up in the last three games has been atrocious and it's made those players, who in their own right are decent - but limited as they don't score goals like and aren't particularly creative - look worse.

I fully agree on January. I said the same in the summer. We had the chance by getting in a quality forward, just one that was a step up on the dross we have, to be able to think we should have the creativity and guile in the team to get ourselves to Jan in a decent position. The club failed.

I don't know what you think our squad is made up of mate but it's definitely not much better than Brentford's.

I think exactly what i did at the end of August when we failed to get a quality attacker in - that if it doesn't change in that regard in January, we'll be right in the mire come March. I think any manager (and if Frank goes, he goes) would need that player in, at the very least, to avoid that.

This team isn't good enough for an effective system because we have no goals in it. The forwards are CRAP. Honestly can't get over how bad they are. Gray, Gordon and McNeil being your creative forwards is disgraceful. For any manager.

I'm not saying another manager wouldn't be an improvement, they might well be and like I said I think FL is down the list when it comes to quality. But whichever manager was in charge would need attacking reinforcements.

I agree mate we need 1-2 attackers and some creativity coming in... but Lampards system still has big inherent flaws when you look at the sheer amount of chances we're given up every game.

At present time I just dont see something worth persisting with. If we were limiting opponents to a few chances a game and conceeding very few then I could get on board with the January window crew - but long term I cant see him developing us into a coherent unit (his game management is also really bad).

I agree mate we need 1-2 attackers and some creativity coming in... but Lampards system still has big inherent flaws when you look at the sheer amount of chances we're given up every game.

At present time I just dont see something worth persisting with. If we were limiting opponents to a few chances a game and conceeding very few then I could get on board with the January window crew - but long term I cant see him developing us into a coherent unit (his game management is also really bad).
Agree, he's a very flawed manager. Lately he's been crap. He got it right v Palace - though they played into our hands a bit - and otherwise, Spurs aside which I think the plan was clear, the players just failed to execute (Newcastle went there a week later and played exactly the same way but took their chances) the gameplans have been rubbish.

Earlier in the season I think he was setting us up well with what he had, and I think v Leeds, Liverpool, West Ham and most of the S'Ton game, Everton played well. Since then it's largely been a mess.

But like I said, our record in the last nine games is the same as Brentford's points wise. We're one of 7-8 teams that I think will still be scrapping come March. A change of manager might mean we have a better chance of not being there, but they'll still need those players in.

That at the end was worse than norwich away last season. Proper toxic. Some of the stick iwobi was getting from our mid fifties beak and lager boys was unreal considering his performances.Glad we have a break. Dunno how the mood has got so dark so quick. Didnt hear anything bad during or after the leicester game. Just an acceptance of our situation and how bad we were last season. Terrible week like but f*** me that was off the scale. I dont know how its possible to out do the hating of Rafael [Poor language removed] benitez being Everton manager.

Yes Lampard's "tactics" (if you can call it that) and in-game management leave a hell of a lot to be desired and improved upon, but it's also a game of fine margins.

Chelsea's all-time leading scorer (and from midfield no less!), a driven pro, who would guarantee 15-20 goals year in year out has to watch Davies & Gordon miss absolute sitters on Tuesday, and DCL & Iwobi miss absolute sitters the game before that, and Gray & Onana miss v Spurs not long before that.

99/100 Lampard scores every one of those chances (he must having nightmares about them), and yet things like that game after game could make the difference between a possible sacking and a lower mid-table place.

EDIT: for such a prolific goal scorer it's beyond baffling how he can't impart that side of the game on to the players. He should be ideal for it.

That at the end was worse than norwich away last season. Proper toxic. Some of the stick iwobi was getting from our mid fifties beak and lager boys was unreal considering his performances.Glad we have a break. Dunno how the mood has got so dark so quick. Didnt hear anything bad during or after the leicester game. Just an acceptance of our situation and how bad we were last season. Terrible week like but f*** me that was off the scale. I dont know how its possible to out do the hating of Rafael [Poor language removed] benitez being Everton manager.
this is the annoyance for me

everyone knew in the summer we'd need time and would be in for another tough season, but as soon as it's got properly bad again the knives are out

I just dont fathom his insistence to wait until the 60th minute to make changes especially when you're two down and your team has been dominated the entire first half. Also speaking of baffling developments what role was doucoure supposed to be assuming? Almost looked he had him tasked as a forward/attacking Midfielder?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.