Goodison memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three pages in, and nobody has mentioned this. I've seen us win trophies, beat Munich, Manure 5-0 and many others. But for a 17 year old, watching Clemence grasping at thin air as the ball sailed into the top corner, this remains my greatest moment watching the blues.

View attachment 220083
Used to be a bookies at the top of Spellow and Goodison, it’s demolished and the burger van parks there now. Andy was a frequent visitor

Three pages in, and nobody has mentioned this. I've seen us win trophies, beat Munich, Manure 5-0 and many others. But for a 17 year old, watching Clemence grasping at thin air as the ball sailed into the top corner, this remains my greatest moment watching the blues.

View attachment 220083

I’d taken my RS brother in law to that match, I was ecstatic, he was miserable as sin…..

Some of my own personal favourites (when I’ve been in the ground), just typing them in as they occur to me, and in no particular order would be…

• The 3-0 AJ derby.
• Osman vs Larissa.
• PL win over Bolton (the Okocha team) - 3-2 with Ferguson scoring the winner IIRC.
• 4-1 vs Wolsberg with De Bruyne playing for them and Lukaku and Eto’o playing for us.
• 2-0 Fiorentina, despite the shootout loss (never felt the old place shake as much as when Arteta scored).
• Big Dunc’s playing farewell with a scuffed penalty follow up to rescue a 2-2 draw.
• Mad 3-1 vs Birmingham. Heading for a draw until Carsley tw@tted one in in injury time, then James Vaughan rubbed it in with another.
• Fellaini bossing United in an evening season opener - chest control AOTS, and scored the only goal with a header.
• 6-1 vs Brann in the EL. IIRC, every single goal was top drawer.

Lots of happy ones..

Sheedy’s disallowed free kick, retaken and scored in the other top corner.

Fiorentina game

Rooney’s ridiculous lob of Joe Hart(?) from about 40yds vs W Ham.

I hope the walk up to the new place has the same feeling as Goodison. The walk home of recent years I’m less keen to relive 😁

Last edited:

Thanks Dario, I’d be in good company then. I was seven when I watched that game with a few mates from town.
I read somewhere when Dave Hickson split his head open in that Man U game,after treatment the wound opened a second time,the ref wanted him to go off,Dave ,the ref and Peter Farrell I think our captain were stood in the centre circle questioning Daves sanity!!!he stayed on an bagged us the winner!!!what a fella😁

Some of my own personal favourites (when I’ve been in the ground), just typing them in as they occur to me, and in no particular order would be…

• The 3-0 AJ derby.
• Osman vs Larissa.
• PL win over Bolton (the Okocha team) - 3-2 with Ferguson scoring the winner IIRC.
• 4-1 vs Wolsberg with De Bruyne playing for them and Lukaku and Eto’o playing for us.
• 2-0 Fiorentina, despite the shootout loss (never felt the old place shake as much as when Arteta scored).
• Big Dunc’s playing farewell with a scuffed penalty follow up to rescue a 2-2 draw.
• Mad 3-1 vs Birmingham. Heading for a draw until Carsley tw@tted one in in injury time, then James Vaughan rubbed it in with another.
• Fellaini bossing United in an evening season opener - chest control AOTS, and scored the only goal with a header.
The Birmingham game was a good one, they equalised near the end,wasted time, and got sucker punched at the death by Carsley and Vaughan.

For me the best memories have to be from the season we finally went down at the end of the 2023/24 season.

Some good games and great atmosphere prior to moving to a new stadium but inevitably losing out to survival on goal difference.

Relying on Maupay as a back up to DCL and persisting with Keane was always going to cost us.

I read somewhere when Dave Hickson split his head open in that Man U game,after treatment the wound opened a second time,the ref wanted him to go off,Dave ,the ref and Peter Farrell I think our captain were stood in the centre circle questioning Daves sanity!!!he stayed on an bagged us the winner!!!what a fella😁
Not sure about that Dario but in the semi final that year versus Bolton the referee asked Dave to leave the field after a brief conversation with him and possibly Peter Farrell the captain, Davie was suffering from concussion and he did leave the field for a few minutes but came back on to try and help us get an equaliser.

We had left the field at half time losing 4-0 with Tommy Clinton miss a penalty just before the interval, we got three goals back with two goals from John Willie Parker and a free kick from Farrell.

Not sure about that Dario but in the semi final that year versus Bolton the referee asked Dave to leave the field after a brief conversation with him and possibly Peter Farrell the captain, Davie was suffering from concussion and he did leave the field for a few minutes but came back on to try and help us get an equaliser.

We had left the field at half time losing 4-0 with Tommy Clinton miss a penalty just before the interval, we got three goals back with two goals from John Willie Parker and a free kick from Farrell.
Yep heard all about that one Cameron,poor old Tommy Clinton!!my old fella always tells me his nickname was the bone crusher,used to put wingers on the old cinder track at will🤣

Yep heard all about that one Cameron,poor old Tommy Clinton!!my old fella always tells me his nickname was the bone crusher,used to put wingers on the old cinder track at will🤣
Yes Tommy was a no nonsense full back who let the opposition know he was there, one of the few Irishmen from Eire who performed for the Blues in the forties and fifties.happy days even if we never in the top half of the table before we finally dropped into the second division with a board of directors who never spent money!

Yes Tommy was a no nonsense full back who let the opposition know he was there, one of the few Irishmen from Eire who performed for the Blues in the forties and fifties.happy days even if we never in the top half of the table before we finally dropped into the second division with a board of directors who never spent money!
Yes,same team for years,no transfers,same kit,players going in to the game on the bus with the fans,much more innocent times and better in a lot of ways some would say👍

• The 3-0 AJ derby.
• Osman vs Larissa.

Fellaini was unreal that game against United

Status
Not open for further replies.