2023/24 Sean Dyche

The setup that nearly got us a 0-1 today wasn't that different to the setup that got us a season-saving 1-5 last time we were there.

Maybe it's just the correct way to set up against Brighton.
The set up for 80 minutes is absolutely fine

The problem was that when they lost a man we went even more defensive for some reason, rather than trying to counter attack into the space they left.

The set up for 80 minutes is absolutely fine

The problem was that when they lost a man we went even more defensive for some reason, rather than trying to counter attack into the space they left.
Yeah I agree. Honestly think we'd have been more likely to see it out against 11, it felt like it threw us off more than them. Part of that of course is on the manager for not reacting with the right instructions.

But in general any argument for a more expansive approach from the start is an argument for the sort of thrashing we took from them a year ago under Lampard.

Yeah I agree. Honestly think we'd have been more likely to see it out against 11, it felt like it threw us off more than them. Part of that of course is on the manager for not reacting with the right instructions.

But in general any argument for a more expansive approach from the start is an argument for the sort of thrashing we took from them a year ago under Lampard.
It was a game management issue. The initial game plan was good, but the in game management in the final 20 minutes was not.

Good post mate. Some of the criticism is OTT.

But we've also got to recognise we've not won a game since 16th December. The longest winless streak in the league and the longest we've gone without a win since 1994. Sure, there's mitigation there and we've drawn a few - but our form since our last win is joint worse in the league and relegation form.

Any Everton manager who is on the longest run in the league without a win, with relegation form over the last 10 weeks and scoring the first goal from open play in 10 league games should have some questions.

Without that point deduction I'm saying "brilliant, a season without blood pressure problems" but I'd still be asking questions.
Has been a tough 9 games though.

City twice
Spurs twice (decent performances)
Top 4 Villa
Strong Brighton
Useful Fulham
Erm.. Wolves

It was a game management issue. The initial game plan was good, but the in game management in the final 20 minutes was not.
And to return to a theme you wonder how much the psychology of the deduction kicks in. Relegation-threatened side on 20 points absolutely desperate just to cling to three points sits in and invites pressure, maybe a mid-table side on 30 points gets more on the front foot and exploits the extra man.

Good post mate. Some of the criticism is OTT.

But we've also got to recognise we've not won a game since 16th December. The longest winless streak in the league and the longest we've gone without a win since 1994. Sure, there's mitigation there and we've drawn a few - but our form since our last win is joint worse in the league and relegation form.

Any Everton manager who is on the longest run in the league without a win, with relegation form over the last 10 weeks and scoring the first goal from open play in 10 league games should have some questions.

Without that point deduction I'm saying "brilliant, a season without blood pressure problems" but I'd still be asking questions.
My sentiment exactly. I'm not saying sack him tonight, but it's a bit rich to me that so many people are hammering Dom for not scoring in forever but are willing to let Dyche off the hook with stats like the bold above.

If anything, I'm willing to cut Dom more slack, because a forward can't pass the ball to himself. But a manager is in charge of his own tactics, substitutions, etc. etc. Nobody but himself has those responsibilities.

So for me, the run of 9 or 10 games we had months ago where we picked up a lot of points against a mostly favorable schedule isn't enough to preclude all criticism now. We can recognize some achievements for the season as a whole and also notice that the trends feel decidedly downward lately. Does anyone think the team is currently improving in almost any way? What are we really better at now than we were say 4 months ago?

Shouldn't a manager have to answer for that at some level?

Has been a tough 9 games though.

City twice
Spurs twice (decent performances)
Top 4 Villa
Strong Brighton
Useful Fulham
Erm.. Wolves
The two bad ones in the run are wolves away and palace at home.

It’s the palace one that is really frustrating - was a perfect chance to get three points and the weight off the shoulders and that’s the one where for me Dyche got it totally wrong.

Longer we go without winning the harder getting those 3 points gets!

It makes decent draws in reality like today missed opportunities. Another big game v west ham next week.

Gotta be philosophical sometimes boys, the manager can't control everything and we'd have all taken a point beforehand (apologies to anyone who actually went reading that as I know it's an annoying thing to read).

Fixing this club will take time, we've made some great strides this season, but we are still a long way off.

Gotta be philosophical sometimes boys, the manager can't control everything and we'd have all taken a point beforehand (apologies to anyone who actually went reading that as I know it's an annoying thing to read).

Fixing this club will take time, we've made some great strides this season, but we are still a long way off.
He’s also just not going to be the one who fixes it. I think that’s really painfully clear tbh.