New Everton Stadium Discussion

We've had the discussion before and you pointed to examples in different parts of the world and then tried to suggest that construction costs were comparible in the UK despite me providing you with evidence to the contrary.

If you're involved in the construction industry then you'll know full well that no two construction projects are the same. It's completely pointless trying to take a simplistic approach and comparing it to the regen works going on at Anfield or any other stadium for that matter.

You appear to be trying to suggest re-using parts of GP can save money when in reality the best approach would be to flatten it and start from scratch instead of trying to put lipstick on a pig. It's often far more costly trying to incorporate an existing structure into a new one.

Ultimately, unless you have detailed, fully costed, construction level information for a new stadium at GP then anything you say is your opinion.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion of course as long as you don't try and assert it as fact.

And ultimately, what would the point be of staying at Goodison, in any case? Other than the fact we have played there for a long time (sentimentality), I can't think of any good reason to have wanted to stay, personally. The area is not the best, transport is not bad but nothing to write home about, the pubs are 'orrible and errrr..... that's about it. Just why go to all that trouble and expense? I really don't get it. Sorry, to anybody who will need to be moved kicking and dragging form L4 4EL, but personally, I can't wait.

Did you hate it when we knocked down all the houses behind the Park End in the 60s and 90s? Be honest, did it even register? There was no campaign against the demolitions. Or were you ashamed when you heard about us knocking down a whole row of houses on one side of Gwladys St, to build the upper tier in the 1930s, or were you proud that the club created the first UK stadium with double-decker stands on all sides...... a stadium that was the finest in the country for generations and was the automatic choice for a world cup semi-final in 1966?

We're spending £750m on BMD. We could've comfortably put all effected residents in penthouse apartments in Stanley Dock and fully redeveloped GP for a fraction of that.

Just read your first sentence and the answer is yes. Hated what they did.

Sad to see you’ve lost the plot Thomas, we all loved goodison and the surrounding area but it’s a no go for the club.

Very selfish of you to think you’re right and what younger people like me and the generations after you want. We’re made up to leave.

How far around the new ground would you say they'll make resident parking only? As far back a Scotland road? Maybe further? A lot will simply have to use the car to get to that area for one reason or another, and a lot won't fancy the trek from Lime street to BMD if they are luck enough to get a train.

How far around the new ground would you say they'll make resident parking only? As far back a Scotland road? Maybe further? A lot will simply have to use the car to get to that area for one reason or another, and a lot won't fancy the trek from Lime street to BMD if they are luck enough to get a train.
Is there any residential around there? Maybe the flats opposite Costco, but isnt the whole place Commerical and Industrial?

It's all set out in the planning documentation, when I get chance i'll dig it out.

I'll be trying to use public transport as much as possible but there will be games when it's just not feasible so will need to drive.

I'm quite certain there will be loads of third party match day parking that will pop up in the area. Looks like there's plenty of opportunities for existing businesses in the area to set up temporary car parks.

They didn't own all of them, and they all had tenants who had to relocate. I agree it wasn't a huge deal, no-one said anything about it at the time..... It wouldn't be now if owners/tenants were fully recompensed. At the cost of the new stadium, they could be very well remunerated, and it would only need a handful of end terraces on the Bullens Rd side to free up enough space!

Thousands of similar houses have been cleared for other developments all over the city. This would've been a drop in the ocean to accommodate one of the biggest institutions in the city, one of the oldest football clubs in the world, on the site of the world's first purpose built football stadium.

Can someone get their grandad.
It can be done, but there will be claims and counter claims. Not an inconsiderable amount of money spent paying people before we even get a spade in the ground, so in that respect it isn't much different to what we've done at the docks considering the time element.

You talk of a handful of houses but to do this properly we would have needed much more. We've lived on bodge jobs for years. Any redevelopment would have needed Goodison Road straightening and we are talking about increasing capacity so the road needs to be bigger as it's a bloody nightmare going down any of the roads, with people coming out of the ground as you have traffic going in both directions. So really the Winslow and all those properties need to go and we would need a new wider road built behind that area.

I say this as the BMD changing room is half the size of the widest part of the main stand. To build similar kinds of facilities it needs to be the same size all the way down (we are still compromised as it won't be as big even then).

That's non negotiable to me, once we do that we could have built the new main stand further towards the Park End so it doesn't end before the pitch as it does now and enable a full corner to attach the PE and MS. That will also give the new Gwladys a few more meters footprint, that said unless you keep the height similar to what it is now, we'd need to knock down all the houses on the street otherwise there is going to be right to light issues.

The Bullens is the same width as the club shop in BMD (that includes the unusable interior space right at the front of the stand) it would need to double in width to be at least to almost modern size.

So unless you knock down everything within this messy border I have created it is simply a bodge job that will see us spend a lot of money for something that will be immediately outdated/not fit for purpose as soon as we finish it.

View attachment 251269

Starting to get worried about him.

It's all set out in the planning documentation, when I get chance i'll dig it out.

I'll be trying to use public transport as much as possible but there will be games when it's just not feasible so will need to drive.

I'm quite certain there will be loads of third party match day parking that will pop up in the area. Looks like there's plenty of opportunities for existing businesses in the area to set up temporary car parks.
Be interesting that mate ;)

Is there any residential around there? Maybe the flats opposite Costco, but isnt the whole place Commerical and Industrial?

It is a very industrial/commercial area. There are residents, too. I suspect that a lot of the businesses that can will allow supporters to use their carparks, if they are not in use when a match is taking place. I have spotted a good few companies who this might apply to. I'm thinking of what happens around Old Trafford and Wembley. This is before we talk about any multi-storeys being built. But, I think we have to ensure that public transport (buses especially) on a match day/night is as good as can be, to dissuade as many as possible from using their cars.

It is a very industrial/commercial area. There are residents, too. I suspect that a lot of the businesses that can will allow supporters to use their carparks, if they are not in use when a match is taking place. I have spotted a good few companies who this might apply to. I'm thinking of what happens around Old Trafford and Wembley. This is before we talk about any multi-storeys being built. But, I think we have to ensure that public transport (buses especially) on a match day/night is as good as can be, to dissuade as many as possible from using their cars.
My Wife works in a Car Dealership on the main road so hopefully she stays there for the next 2 years!

Should have just spent 20+ years doing up goodison, forcing people out of their homes and staying away from the city centre. And building 4 park ends.

Lots of industrial units around that will certainly be taking advantage of the match day revenue for parking, and there are but a bit further up residential areas that could end up a bit swamped. The logistics of any stadium are always a mare and of concern but for me this site works perfectly, may not for everyone,

But the one issue that may raise its head is the post game exit strategy as the one road has a lot to take until you get bit further away, but to contradict this i think most will park and walk who do use their cars and will have to probably do as they do now, shanks pony to the car then off we go!

I have yet to visit a stadium anywhere were transport and getting to and from is "easy"