2023/24 Beto

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did play in Serie A for 2 seasons.

Maybe it's us who are the issue.
I honestly don't think it's us Shangs. The club isn't the reason he can't get shots off on goal when he has the ball at his feet, or that he throws himself on the floor at the slightest touch, etc. Playing for somebody else wouldn't immediately improve his awful first touch, and he'll be 27 just after Christmas so is hardly likely to improve drastically on his current level.

Apparently linked with both Milan teams and is interested in going. If we could get what we paid for him it would be amazing

The article I read said that Milan and Inter dont have any money lol
I think unless we can get the £25m we paid for him, or more, its not worth selling him

https://www.[Publication is blackli...-and-inter-milan-twist-emerges-in-beto-chase/

We will never get that back as we massively overpaid in the first place due to getting him on the bounce. He is a £10-15m player and no more.

But if we brought in £10-15m who would we buy with that? Che Adams? Is he better than Beto? My point is its not worth doing because we need to have a positive net spend, but we need to replace Beto if he goes. If we are going to make a loss on him, we may as well just keep him.

But if we brought in £10-15m who would we buy with that? Che Adams? Is he better than Beto? My point is its not worth doing because we need to have a positive net spend, but we need to replace Beto if he goes. If we are going to make a loss on him, we may as well just keep him.
He should never have been bought in the first place. I wouldn't want Adams but I bet he scores more goals over a season than Beto ever does.

I honestly don't think it's us Shangs. The club isn't the reason he can't get shots off on goal when he has the ball at his feet, or that he throws himself on the floor at the slightest touch, etc. Playing for somebody else wouldn't immediately improve his awful first touch, and he'll be 27 just after Christmas so is hardly likely to improve drastically on his current level.
Don't get me wrong I'm not convinced by him at all but if the stories of both Milan clubs wanting him is true then he has done well at Udinese to the point where some big hitters want him then he may have something better than we we have seen so far.

We ruin everybody. Maupay for example was rubbish for us but everywhere else he has played he has at least looked like a vaguely competent player.

He hasn't had a run of 5-10 games starting in the team. He has looked useful and effective at times especially against a tiring defence (goal against Newcastle a classic example) but he does look awkward and at times with a very average first touch.

I haven't written him off yet and with DCL now back in form, scoring a few and fit then I think the issue lay more with the lack of creativity in the team and pace/attacking quality particularly in the wide positions.

‘We need a good striker’ - 10th July 2017 to present day.

1715857207787.webp

Lukaku is a one off striker that was above where we as a club were at when he signed.

In terms of premier league era strikers, we have never had another consistently get 20+ goals across more than 1 season, and apart from clubs in the top 4/5, clubs very rarely do.

If we benchmark from Lukaku we will always fail. Especially considering we are much worse as a club now.

Lukaku is a one off striker that was above where we as a club were at when he signed.

In terms of premier league era strikers, we have never had another consistently get 20+ goals across more than 1 season, and apart from clubs in the top 4/5, clubs very rarely do.

If we benchmark from Lukaku we will always fail. Especially considering we are much worse as a club now.

I looked for a funnier image of Lukaku but settled for that one

It was in reference to the date quoted by MACCA75 of course (which I'm sure you realise)

Totally agree with your point though

It won't help us to dream of past good fortune in the transfer market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back