Poll : Martinez Post Newcastle

Martinez?

• In

• Out

• Cheese on Toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i can see the top half argument but we shouldn't have expected to be a lock for top 7. While we spent 30 odd mil, most of it went on a player who was already in the squad so we didn't really add to the squad outside of besic while the teams who finished below us like Utd added alot to their squads. we should be competing with Spurs most of the time. I agree though we should be competing in the top 8 next season

Hindsight.

I thought we were nailed on for top 7 as did most fans both of everton and elsewhere.

I think martinez failed massively this season. To a certain extent yes there was injuries and suspensions but you have to be able to deal with that and we didn't.

The tailspin of lost confidence that we went into in novemeber shouldn't happen at a big club. That's on Martinez to stop and get our players up again and he didn't do it.

You'd hope we won't see it happen again but certainly it's a worry it happened in the first place.
Is it such a shock though? There are still players out there who don't believe they suit Martinezs style I don't think and when confidence falters it takes a long time to restablish, especially with the inferiority complex we have here sometimes. The players seem to have taken responsibility in the last couple of games and they have realised Martinez can't hold their hands through games.

Or something

Plenty of teams go through long periods of poor form. It's rarely if ever due to the manager telling them to go out and do the exact things that are losing them games.

We play a style that worked brilliantly last season. It involved a good amount of sideways passing when looking for a forward pass. Last season the forward pass was usually on and thus we usually broke down the teams that set up to stop us playing. This season for various reasons our confidence has been shattered and has led to no one wanting the ball and also no one wanting to take a chance with a forward pass. This is clearly going to lead to more safe sideways passes and errors and less goals.

As soon as we started showing a bit of urgency in our game, we started playing well. We still made mistakes, but we were trying positive passes and also we were shutting the opposition down twice as fast meaning the mistakes were less costly and we could sustain pressure (see the last ten minutes v Kiev).

I don't know about you or our players, but when i play football in and are in poor form and low confidence the last thing i wanna do is pass it around in defensive areas to try and keep posession. I get it forward as far away from our goal as possible.

I dont try tricky or hollywood type passes but i sure as hell don't pass it around the back line over and over again till i concede yet another goal.

I don't buy the lack of confidence excuse. Did they suddenly find a load of confidecne 30 mins into the Kiev game? Where was that confidence after we beat QPR or Palace?

Confidence plays a part in sports, but i don't see a lack of it as why we've played as we have since the Spurs game. We got caught playing it around slowly at the back which surely would see us low in confidence to carry on doing the same. But we did. If the players were low on confidence after that they'd stop doing it. But they didn't.

It's managers instructions to play a slow possession based game.

Is it such a shock though? There are still players out there who don't believe they suit Martinezs style I don't think and when confidence falters it takes a long time to restablish, especially with the inferiority complex we have here sometimes. The players seem to have taken responsibility in the last couple of games and they have realised Martinez can't hold their hands through games.

Or something

I think it's worrying that we played like we did at hull or stoke and bobby couldn't change that.

Now we've produced two good performances in a row so you would hope we can build on that. But being able to turn a losing team around in less than 4 months is a valuable skill that I really want our managers to have.

I think martinez failed massively this season. To a certain extent yes there was injuries and suspensions but you have to be able to deal with that and we didn't.

The tailspin of lost confidence that we went into in novemeber shouldn't happen at a big club. That's on Martinez to stop and get our players up again and he didn't do it.

You'd hope we won't see it happen again but certainly it's a worry it happened in the first place.

The league campaign has been shocking so far, yeah and his failure to turn things round has been a worry. The fans seem to have played as big a role in the recent turnaround, if not more than him. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that front for the time being as the injuries really did take the piss and also, a rough patch was to be expected, given the changes he's made to the style of play since Moyes was here, so you need to have some patience with him. Most would have had more patience had we hit the rough patch been earlier on I reckon, but he set expectations extremely high for himself.

I've said before, he's eroded a lot of goodwill this year, as the decline was particularly bad and he'll have to build it up again next season. There won't be as much patience then, barring a Europa League win this season.

Or something

Suit Martinezs style?

You see, I take offence at this, if players cant pass a ball, they are clearly in the wrong job.

Jags was seen as a player who "didnt fit the system" and there he was yesterday playing as a left winger at 1 point, its horsesh1t to say the players dont fit the system.

As for next season, if Blerto was to listen to my transfer advice we could prolly win the league, but as it is, hes a clueless biff who will prolly get in Tom Cleverley.

I don't know about you or our players, but when i play football in and are in poor form and low confidence the last thing i wanna do is pass it around in defensive areas to try and keep posession. I get it forward as far away from our goal as possible.

I dont try tricky or hollywood type passes but i sure as hell don't pass it around the back line over and over again till i concede yet another goal.

I don't buy the lack of confidence excuse. Did they suddenly find a load of confidecne 30 mins into the Kiev game? Where was that confidence after we beat QPR or Palace?

Confidence plays a part in sports, but i don't see a lack of it as why we've played as we have since the Spurs game. We got caught playing it around slowly at the back which surely would see us low in confidence to carry on doing the same. But we did. If the players were low on confidence after that they'd stop doing it. But they didn't.

It's managers instructions to play a slow possession based game.

It was the confidence to play that system, not confidence overall.

The reason we improved so drastically is because we visibly ditched Martinez's system from the half hour mark onwards against Kiev, and basically did as you say - get it forward quicker.

The players have confidence in playing their way, not Martinez's way. I think that'll really annoy Martinez, but he's got to be a pro and accept that his methods failed and he needs results now rather than later.

I think it's worrying that we played like we did at hull or stoke and bobby couldn't change that.

Now we've produced two good performances in a row so you would hope we can build on that. But being able to turn a losing team around in less than 4 months is a valuable skill that I really want our managers to have.
Shut up

Suit Martinezs style?

You see, I take offence at this, if players cant pass a ball, they are clearly in the wrong job.

Jags was seen as a player who "didnt fit the system" and there he was yesterday playing as a left winger at 1 point, its horsesh1t to say the players dont fit the system.

As for next season, if Blerto was to listen to my transfer advice we could prolly win the league, but as it is, hes a clueless biff who will prolly get in Tom Cleverley.
You need putting down you walrus. It's confidence in playing the passes as someone else said. If you actually read what I said I didn't say he didn't fit the system but if you don't believe you fit you play safe timid passes because you can't lamp it up the pitch like you want to.

Read other fan forums before the season started, every other club's fans were predicting their seasons 'without the top 7'. We should most certainly be 7th as a minimum.
I honestly expected us to be 8th when the season started with an EL run

Hindsight.

I thought we were nailed on for top 7 as did most fans both of everton and elsewhere.
no really much a difference between 7 and 8 though which is what I said. didnt think we'd be near 5th this year since we had EL

You need putting down you walrus. It's confidence in playing the passes as someone else said. If you actually read what I said I didn't say he didn't fit the system but if you don't believe you fit you play safe timid passes because you can't lamp it up the pitch like you want to.

Thanks for highlighting your lack of footballing knowledge, at least now the whole forum can see you for what you are.

Thanks.

no really much a difference between 7 and 8 though which is what I said. didnt think we'd be near 5th this year since we had EL

Righto so what are you even arguing about.

We've dropped from challenging for europe to about 15th. That's a poor season in the league. Whether it's top 7 or top 8 which we expected is irrelivant, we've under performed.

The one factor that mitigates for that under performance is the europa. We win a trophy and everything else is gravy. And we still can do that, which is what ultimately will effect how we view this season and martinez' perfomance in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.