Poll : Martinez Post Newcastle

Martinez?

• In

• Out

• Cheese on Toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But there is a difference between the two things, bit like when LVG was trying to describe his belief that what he was doing during games wasn't hoofball but instead was long pass football.

We mixed it up last season and used it, would you call this hoofball or just intelligently spotting an opportunity?

Think one of the reasons we've started being effective at it again is Jags's confidence - he was trying it earlier in the season and it just went straight to an opponent if he didn't shank it into touch.

Correct. But there is someone on here who has consistently accused advocates of this of "wanting a return to agricultural hoofball." That is what he is pointing out.

Martinez lost me at Hull, and there have been a fair few dross showings since then. However, credit where credit is due, yesterday was the first time my backside has left it's seat on several occasions for months. We looked far more like the team of last season, with pace, passion etc. I said before the game that the team needed to start where they left off on Thursday or there would be no hope for Martinez, thankfully they did. I have no great desire to change manager so quickly, but the situation was becoming unbearable. I hope we can show the same fight and attitude for the rest of the season and give the fans some payback for the suffering we've had throughout the season, especially those who religiously fork out a lot of money to travel away. I hate it when I see Evertonians tearing into each other, that's not what we're usually about, we may have differences but some of the vitriol spouted on here between certain members is beyond embarrassing. Let's hope an upturn in fortunes brings some harmony to proceedings and, maybe, and hopefully, Martinez can win his way back into my affections.

Yeah you're probably right there. But the directness and the quick passing and movement? That was all there last season, and it was even better then.

My point is, I don't think yesterday was the huge change in Martinez's style it's being made out to be. It wasn't long ago we were playing similarly in the league and not to mention we've been playing more direct in Europe all season.

It's like some people seem to think Martinez actually wants us to play some completely non-penetrative backwards/sidewards style, and that's his idea of good football. That's simply untrue.

Absolutely. It's not a tactic ffs and never has been.

That fact is going to take a bit longer to sink in with some, unfortunately.

Absolutely. It's not a tactic ffs and never has been.

That fact is going to take a bit longer to sink in with some, unfortunately.

How do you know?

Surely when a managers team play a certain way game after game after game it becomes a deliberate way of playing, thus tactic?

He could start with getting it across to the players then.

The players already knew how to play the system correctly. They did it last year.

Confidence has been critically low for a while now. When that's 100% sorted, we'll see a return to form. Hopefully that's already started.

How do you know?

Surely when a managers team play a certain way game after game after game it becomes a deliberate way of playing, thus tactic?

Plenty of teams go through long periods of poor form. It's rarely if ever due to the manager telling them to go out and do the exact things that are losing them games.

We play a style that worked brilliantly last season. It involved a good amount of sideways passing when looking for a forward pass. Last season the forward pass was usually on and thus we usually broke down the teams that set up to stop us playing. This season for various reasons our confidence has been shattered and has led to no one wanting the ball and also no one wanting to take a chance with a forward pass. This is clearly going to lead to more safe sideways passes and errors and less goals.

As soon as we started showing a bit of urgency in our game, we started playing well. We still made mistakes, but we were trying positive passes and also we were shutting the opposition down twice as fast meaning the mistakes were less costly and we could sustain pressure (see the last ten minutes v Kiev).

The players already knew how to play the system correctly. They did it last year.

Confidence has been critically low for a while now. When that's 100% sorted, we'll see a return to form. Hopefully that's already started.

But if the players already know what is expected of them and are not doing so this season then he is not getting his message across.

Surely that is a failure in his managerial abilities ?

But if the players already know what is expected of them and are not doing so this season then he is not getting his message across.

Surely that is a failure in his managerial abilities ?

I think we could have turned things around sooner, yes and I expect him to do that quicker in future. I also think we had a horrendous number of injuries covering the whole first half of the season that ended our league campaign and destroyed confidence as our form suffered. It was particularly bad this year and we've only just recovered from it. I think only Pienaar and McGeady are now injured?

It won't even be half as bad as that next season, surely. At least it'd be nice for the season to have started before the injuries cripple us.

I think we could have turned things around sooner, yes and I expect him to do that quicker in future. I also think we had a horrendous number of injuries covering the whole first half of the season that ended our league campaign and destroyed confidence as our form suffered. It was particularly bad this year and we've only just recovered from it. I think only Pienaar and McGeady are now injured?

It won't even be half as bad as that next season, surely. At least it'd be nice for the season to have started before the injuries cripple us.
Hibbert and Oviedo as well but think they are due back by April.

I think martinez failed massively this season. To a certain extent yes there was injuries and suspensions but you have to be able to deal with that and we didn't.

The tailspin of lost confidence that we went into in novemeber shouldn't happen at a big club. That's on Martinez to stop and get our players up again and he didn't do it.

You'd hope we won't see it happen again but certainly it's a worry it happened in the first place.

i can see the top half argument but we shouldn't have expected to be a lock for top 7. While we spent 30 odd mil, most of it went on a player who was already in the squad so we didn't really add to the squad outside of besic while the teams who finished below us like Utd added alot to their squads. we should be competing with Spurs most of the time. I agree though we should be competing in the top 8 next season
Read other fan forums before the season started, every other club's fans were predicting their seasons 'without the top 7'. We should most certainly be 7th as a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.