Match Thread Liverpool v Everton - Sunday 10th December

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right about our defence, it's bloody awful, two clean sheets don't change that.

I know people are always talking about our players freezing in the moment but we're definitely due one where their best players aren't firing. They always seem bang up for it against us - rightly so I guess, but they just never seem to have an off game when we turn up.

The problem is they have at least four players who are capable of making something happen. And if all else fails both Salah and Mane have pace to burn- something we don’t really have Lennon aside (and even then he doesn’t compare to those two). We have Rooney and to a lesser extent Sigurdsson who could both maybe produce a few good moments for us. If Salah has an off day, there’s Mane and vice versa. Same with Coutinho and Firmino. Whoever starts for us quite simply needs to play an exquisite 90 minutes of football which is a bloody high standard to have to reach.

I read today as well that they’ve actually only conceded two at home as well which I think is at a minimum second best in the league. This makes me think that perhaps we overestimate how bad their defence is (it’s bad, but they managed to get 4th last year with basically the same players and goalkeeper, so it’s not exactly the worst unit ever) and you’d have to think that we’ll need a wonder goal/set piece to break them down.

I’ll be there Sunday and like the last 3 and in all honesty, our own mentality (players and supporters) has been woeful.

We choose to lose these games, to quote Mr Moshiri this is an “expected loss”

We go there Sunday on the back of 2 good team performance, 2 clean sheets with key players such as Williams, Rooney and Sigurdsson finding their feet after the worst start to a season for over a decade but still we don’t fancy getting up for rubbing their noses into it.

THEM expect to win EVERY game which is why we hate them but if we every want to compete at the highest level we have to instill these into ourselves and players.

Rooney has something to prove as a blue and captain for the first time in a Merseyside Derby - he has won everything you can and he won’t be settling for anything but a win!

Allardyce has been around the block to see enough of Klopp and his only plan so he will know a good result doesn’t just help the team but his reputation with the players, board and the fans.

Play to our strengths and attack theirs.

Deep defence, with 2 banks of 4, soak up the 1st 20 mins and get the crowd rattled.

Play clever and dirty. Make the most of every set-piece and crosses because they aren’t indestructible plus they all know it.

Fight for everything and it will come.

We can win this COYB!

Very well put.

On paper they’re better than us, so they should be the eye watering amount they’ve spent. Despite that this Liverpool team has won F all because they’re a bunch of bottle artists. Lesser sides than us have gone to Anfield and won so although it’s not probable it’s possie. Stay deep, don’t give them possession in our final third and they will give you a chance. If we lose because Coutinho hits a wotldievthen fair enough. If we lose because we get done pouring forward and their keeper hoofs one go Salah past our defence then that is completely avoidable. They’re at home, make them break us down. If we keep them out they will give us a chance at some point.

we probably actually have the best chance with our manager to get something from them. im confident we will beat them with allardyce at some point.

but i just dont think 2 weeks is enough to reverse how much our players bottle it in the derbys... its too much, and liverpool have too much attacking quality

you never know though. they have been pretty crap in their big games this season.

View attachment 42627

I was the grand old age of 9 when we last won at Anfield. I remember loving/hating every single minute as I followed the game on teletext - not sure why I didn't listen on the radio, possibly because even as a kid I was clued up enough to know John Aldridge was there to be despised. If only I knew that 18 years later I'd still be waiting for us to win there again I'd have probably nicked a few cans of ale from me arl fella and savoured the moment even more.

On paper this is probably the weakest we've entered the Derby for a while. Salah against Martina, Coutinho against our midfield, Williams against anyone... You get the picture.

Reasons to be positive are few and far between but all records must come to an end, Allardyce can organise a team to stifle the opposition and no matter the result at least we're not associated with this particular beaut below.

View attachment 42628

I would tell you my preferred team selection but no matter who I include it gives me nightmares. However, I do think Davies is a red card waiting to happen and Martina will be torn to shreds. If the latter starts I predict bleach sales to go through the roof across Merseyside.

To sum up my feelings, please <insert bad language> win Everton.
Nailed on we'll have climbing optimism...maybe even a semi decent result in Cyprus to further bouy us up.

We may even start well

Then we'll crash and burn as per usual

All things have to come to an end. Can't remember the last time we scored first in a derby. It's been like 15 years since we've been awarded a pen in one. Think the last time they had a man sent off was when we beat them in the FA Cup. If somehow the universe can conspire to make all of these things happen that would be swell.

Liverpool 0-2 Everton

Niasse 13'
Lovren Red Card 80'
Rooney (Pen) 82'

Something like that would be swell indeed.
So would anything that starts with liverpool 0...thats as optimistic as I'm prepared to be.

' It doesn't matter.There is always next time.Now come and give your Nanna a kiss' Words that will haunt me, and mentally scar me regarding this fixture.A bowl of scouse didn't even help on Derby Day.

Dont know why and lots of things point to a heavy defeat but for some reason i think it will be our day and we will get a 2-0 victory. Just have a gut feeling mind you could be that chicken jalfrezi i had earlier

I think the team has to remain unchanged but then I could see Allardyce going for 3 CBs. I’d rather us stick with a back 4, I’d also consider starting with Lennon and Sigurdsson on opposite flanks as I feel Martina will need Lennon’s cover more than Kenny.

They have better quality and more depth in their forwards. It's more or less even at the back. I think we will do well to salvage a point. Ten men behind the ball from the first whistle. If we score at all, it will be on the counter. Hoping for the best, but not expecting it. COYB
Oh come on, we are a top 10 team these days.

Can we skip this one

I can see Sam going five at the back, Niasse's pace would be useful in this. I can't see past a 3-1 loss anything better is a result. Their attack is frightening at times but their midfield is average and defense brittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.