Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, people are entrenched in the numbers game and you’ll never change that. I stick by my statement that Pienaar would’ve got slaughtered and called “not productive enough” if social media was as big back in 2008.

That’s the trap Koeman fell into I think. Klaassen gets you x goals a season from midfield, Siggurdson x goals, Rooney will score x goals. He put them all together and realised none of them would score many at all as they couldn’t pass a ball to each other. Bernard makes the team play better football which leads to more chances and more goals. Fortunately Silva sees that if some fans don’t.

That’s the trap Koeman fell into I think. Klaassen gets you x goals a season from midfield, Siggurdson x goals, Rooney will score x goals. He put them all together and realised none of them would score many at all as they couldn’t pass a ball to each other. Bernard makes the team play better football which leads to more chances and more goals. Fortunately Silva sees that if some fans don’t.

Very, very much so.

Without Bernard on the left we fail to get the best out of Digne as well. Not something that numbers on Wikipedia will tell you, more something you have to actually observe for yourself.
Yes and it’s great to watch, but the teams at top abs challenging for trophies are the teams who score the most goals.

Let’s not forget we won nothing with Baines & Pienaar. I would rather have Sheedy who did score double figures when we were winning things.

Or there would have been shouts that Baines, Coleman etc weren't good enough for us, before they'd had a chance to really develop

Some of the shouts in those early 07/08 days were ridiculous. I remember in particular ‘we wasted money on Yakubu we didn’t even need him’ after Anichebe had had one decent game against Kharkiv I think. Others included ‘Baines will never replace Lescott at leftback’ and ‘Pienaar looks like a weak Osman’ after his first game.

Thank god the fans don’t pick the team.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but mine is that these shouts for Bernard to be dropped are crazy.

Ultimately, if he DID add a decent number of goals to his game, a bigger team would grab him up ASAP.

His work rate is excellent, he’s a little terrier in the tackle as well as a wizard with the ball at his feet. He helps transition quickly from defence to attack and it’s my belief that the team scores more goals as a result of his play than we would without him in the team. Just because he isn’t credited with many goals, or even that many assists, it doesn’t mean he isn’t a very effective player.

Yes and it’s great to watch, but the teams at top abs challenging for trophies are the teams who score the most goals.

Let’s not forget we won nothing with Baines & Pienaar. I would rather have Sheedy who did score double figures when we were winning things.

Well obviously we’d rather have top players banging them in left right and centre all over the pitch, but they don’t grow on trees and midtable teams don’t tend to be able to help themselves to them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but mine is that these shouts for Bernard to be dropped are crazy.

Ultimately, if he DID add a decent number of goals to his game, a bigger team would grab him up ASAP.

His work rate is excellent, he’s a little terrier in the tackle as well as a wizard with the ball at his feet. He helps transition quickly from defence to attack and it’s my belief that the team scores more goals as a result of his play than we would without him in the team. Just because he isn’t credited with many goals, or even that many assists, it doesn’t mean he isn’t a very effective player.
Also, he's a 5'5 Brazilian, coming from the Ukranian league and has had less than a full season in the PL, after having not played a single game of football for ~6-7 months, and was still our best player in a good number of games.

Maybe let's give him a go after a full pre-season before we start talking about binning him off, eh?

God let’s hope Bernard doesn’t score 10 goals next season and get 15 assists, because he will then leave. I bet your praying Richarlison has another inconsistent season and hopefully doesn’t improve on his 14 goals. And the little old EV can’t stay irrelevant

WTF am I reading.

I'd back Bernard to get a good 5-8 league goals next season based upon the second half of this season.

First few months has taken him to settle, the difference in the player in the second half of the season is huge. He's having plenty of shots now, getting in more goalscoring positions and definately has the technique as a footballer to do so. He's created plenty and think he'll find more opportunities in front of goal next season providing we have a good striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.