Homepage Article Brands Renews Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Harvey Barnes and Chilwell versus Ross Barkley and Tom Davies.

No, I'm not saying the quality is the same, but I wouldn't say their academy is churning them out.

Anyway, we, like the majority of teams in this league need to do better with youth.

Hardly any PL team have an academy that churns the yoof out. And dont all go all Class of 92 at me.

Its the DCL/Vardy/Stones type scouting is where the hard yards are won. Leicester and Southampton and Norwich have been very good at that for a good few years. We aint too bad neither.

You also have choudhury and Thomas who aren't superstars by any means but they feature in the squad and that's all I really expect from our academy to offer players that can make some sort of contribution. Even just one exceptional talent like Barnes would also suffice. It's been years since we've had a product make any impact and it was Tom davies. That's embarrassing
As I said mate, we need to do better.

But I don't think you can overlook the fact that we have 3 of the biggest teams in world football in our catchment area.

But I don't think you can overlook the fact that we have 3 of the biggest teams in world football in our catchment area.

City’s net certainly spreads into Merseyside, you see their scouts at kids games in Cheshire and also places like Wigan too, not so much Man U.

Man Cities Academy is like an industrial trawler that just hoovers kids up.

There’s kids my lad use to
play with on city’s books.

Don't understand how anyone can be "happy" we've retained the services of the man who decided Iwobi was worth £30m.

I can understand ambivalence and acceptance of it for stability, but I can't understand any celebration of it. He's been a mixed bag to put it mildly.

....I doubt any manager or DoF in history hasn’t had their share of bad signings.

For me, it’d be worth listing his signings and their approximate re-sale value to determine if he’s truly wasted vast amounts of monies. For example, I dare say selling Richarlison would recoup the monies spent on him & Iwobi. Even the poor signing of Kean could see a healthy profit.

I’m ambivalent to whether he was given a new deal or not, but I can understand the reasoning behind all of his signings, even the ones that have been poor (Delph & Iwobi in particular). To that end, we now appear to finally have a transfer strategy rather than the shambles of Walsh who just bought players for no logical reason.

....I doubt any manager or DoF in history hasn’t had their share of bad signings.

For me, it’d be worth listing his signings and their approximate re-sale value to determine if he’s truly wasted vast amounts of monies. For example, I dare say selling Richarlison would recoup the monies spent on him & Iwobi. Even the poor signing of Kean could see a healthy profit.

I’m ambivalent to whether he was given a new deal or not, but I can understand the reasoning behind all of his signings, even the ones that have been poor (Delph & Iwobi in particular). To that end, we now appear to finally have a transfer strategy rather than the shambles of Walsh who just bought players for no logical reason.

Yeah I'm not expecting a 100% hit rate. I'm just expecting the bare minimum for the job requirement, which is having a pair of eyes and using them to understand Alex Iwobi isn't worth £30m.

You're right i need to deploy some realism in my outlook but if we're serious about elevating our status in the league we need all forms of recruitment to excel as buying 5 or 6 players every season isn't plausible and our squad depth is lacklustre so id like to see a greater level of ingenuity in that regard

Well, no he wasnt "very good" at all.

He was a 1 in 5 player and people wanted him as they hoped he would become consistent.

Certainly not "all" posters wanted him.

So no, it isnt "true" whatsoever.
He offered us something we didn’t have at the time and there was strong support for his signing. Not all may have wanted him, but that is same with every player.

Yeah I'm not expecting a 100% hit rate. I'm just expecting the bare minimum for the job requirement, which is having a pair of eyes and using them to understand Alex Iwobi isn't worth £30m.

....as I said, I’m sure there are plenty of examples of the very best judges getting deals wrong.

We needed ’legs’ in midfield, players who could run in possession to transition defence to attack. Iwobi is that type, so I can understand the interest but I agree that homework should be undertaken before pursuing such deals. One criteria I would insist on is footballers playing like the game matters to them, but I never get the impression that applies to Iwobi.

I’m not defending that transaction but at least I can understand it.

Ha ha.

That's shut a few up on here.

They kept it under their hat too I think. May be wrong on that as I haven't spent a lot of time in the Everton forum lately. Far too much negativity in here.

Can't see it being under the hat. He's a member of the board so was either just gonna hang the DOF job up and continue on the board, or carry on.

City’s net certainly spreads into Merseyside, you see their scouts at kids games in Cheshire and also places like Wigan too, not so much Man U.

Man Cities Academy is like an industrial trawler that just hoovers kids up.

There’s kids my lad use to
play with on city’s books.
It spreads everywhere, Man Utd have a guy down here who goes round watching a lot of the kids football around Sussex.

Status
Not open for further replies.