New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People really do forget that Wolves spent way more than anyone in the Championship and absolutely annihilated the Championship transfer record to be promoted don’t they? They also could get players unavailable to anyone else in the league due to their dodgy contacts.

They were literally the Man City of the Championship.
Yes, and Guardiola is clearly some no-mark chancer, who owes his success with City entirely to money, and we shouldn't touch with a barge pole. Thank God he didn't apply for the job, or we'd have been in real trouble.

I'm not trying to start an argument, mate, and you do make some valid points. It's just that nothing is black and white, and everything requires informed and thoughtful interpretation. I'm not in a position to do that, due to a shortage of football knowledge and lacking any personal contact with this Nuno chappy. Most manager appointments can probably be considered unsuccessful, so it's odds against Nuno in simplistic terms, but I'm gonna get behind the bloke for a reasonable spell at least, assuming he does eventually get appointed.

To be clear...

As things stand I'd be absolutely happy with Nuno Santo and finishing 7th (I'd be happy with almost anyone and 7th to be quite honest) given our recent history

Ancelotti did not say finishing 7th last season would be a success. He said that going into the last game with a chance of finishing there was a success (despite finishing 10th). That's the bit which is rubbish

Happy to clear this up
He wasn’t happy though, that’s part of the reason he left, he said Everton ambition was to finish top 10 and he not wrong. DBB came out and said they where happy with the season…How? We throw away what 15 opportunities to finish top 4 to finish 10th and she was happy.

Our board has a small club mentality and Nuno is a small club manager who “safe” who won’t get relegated but won’t bother the top of the table either.
They claim it’s a big 6 and 14 but really it’s a big 7 and Everton plus 12

That’s not my point though. My point is people are praising him for getting Wolves promoted when the league wasn’t even remotely a level playing field
True, but look at what he did with them in the Premier League, ok last season was wrecked with injuries and player sales, and his contract running out, but prior to that they looked good, better then us anyway

Technically you could say that most of Ancelotti's titles were not won on an even playing field if you wanted to go that far.
Ancelotti literally went too teams in the top 2 with zero work needing doing, benefit of hindsight I know but it was a stupid appointment from us thinking he would build us.

Why have people decided that this is the limit for Nuno though? If he can get that with Wolves a newly promoted team why couldn’t he achieve more with Everton?

Koeman had assembled the poorest Everton teams in our post Moyes PL history in 17/18 after spending more than any other manager had. We were plying so poorly that relegation was a genuine concern amongst the fan base at that time. That’s why he was fired. I’m not sure what Koeman’s firing has to do with Nuno though?

Well, the point is there's fans talking up Nuno Santo's credentials as finishing 7th for Wolves as the reason why he'd be a good manager for Everton.

It was the same argument for Koeman - he finished 7th at Southampton. We brought him in, he finished 7th at Everton and we wanted him sacked 6 league games into the next season and he was sacked after 9 league games.

So I'm not enthused by a manager finishing 7th as being particularly significant.

We did sound Nuno Santo out when he was in the Championship and he snubbed us. So, like Marco Silva when we returned for him, at least it shows some long term thinking....

Ancelotti wasn’t at a team playing in the second tier???

That has zero to do with what I said.

Ancelotti, Conte, Mourinho etc go to clubs with ridiculous amounts of money and brilliant world class players. That is not a level playing field either. That's not to diminish their achievements, far from it, but everything is relative.

You can only beat what is put in front of you.

Ancelotti, Conte, Mourinho etc go to clubs with ridiculous amounts of money and brilliant world class players. That is not a level playing field either. That's not to diminish their achievements, far from it, but everything is relative.

You can only beat what is put in front of you.

This appointment really hammers home what a disjointed mess of a club we are. There’s no linear progression at all, player and managerial acquisitions are all over the place. Dread to think where we’ll be in five years time
5 years probably another 6 managers later. We have to get lucky with one at some stage. To get us back into the prem.

Status
Not open for further replies.