Ferguson retained as assistant manager - yay or nay

Should Duncan Ferguson continue to be employed as Assistant Manager regardless of managerial appoint

• No

Votes: 234 56.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 180 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If William Ralph Dean was at Everton and his presence as permanent assistant was stopping managers from coming in I'd want him gone...but this feller Ferguson is a plazzy legend.

New broom. Let them sweep clean. And shift the rest of the wasters out too.

I don’t think any managerial candidates should be cast aside because they’re not willing to work with Dunc. Nobody is bigger than the club regardless of how much of a ‘hero’ status they have. Our future and long term projects are much more important than sentiments.

If William Ralph Dean was at Everton and his presence as permanent assistant was stopping managers from coming in I'd want him gone...but this feller Ferguson is a plazzy legend.

New broom. Let them sweep clean. And shift the rest of the wasters out too.
That’s why Nuno would be acceptable, he gets his whole team in, everyone else including Dunc clears out. Fresh start and that

No he needs to get out of his comfort zone and earn his spurs ,maybe with a league one or championship club

If the new manager wants him then yes. I know there’s a jobs for the boys culture and everybody is fed up with it however, Ferguson is the ONLY one of that lot who players and other staff members have actually come out and praised publicly and you can clearly see the effect he’s had on DCL’s game. I personally class him as a coach of some use in his own right.

To be honest, and freely admitting i have never been a fan of Ferguson, i genuinely believe the current team have proven they are ineffective. I would nuke the entire team and have the new manager bring his whole preferred crew in. Even if Ferguson got the job, I would still want him to have a clear out and start again.

No he's been there for a few failed managers, time for him, unsworth and any other former players in coaching roles to be punted.

Tough one this.

Ultimately comes down to the view of the incoming manager.
I agree with the second sentence. Nothing tough about it though - if he can be a useful addition to the manager's plans, keep him, if not then sorry Big Man. I actually suspect that him going off and being forced find a non-Everton route to management may be the best option for him if he wants to manage.

This is it for me. The question may also be, if the plan is for him to take over is there really ever going to be a better moment than this summer? He has a whole summer to prepare. Has been learning for 5 years. The club finished 31 points above the drop zone (the biggest in 7 years and 3rd biggest in the last 30). It is not mid season in a panic. He can spend the whole summer/pre season potentially getting the players fitter as he might like. No outstanding candidate has emerged.

If you don't appoint him now, you never will and in honesty it doesn't make sense to keep it as compulsory for him to remain on the staff as Assistant Manager. You may as well say to him go out and prove yourself, as he's not going to be getting any more qualified being an assistant.

I mean I hope he stays as Assistant. He's a good coach, did a great job in charge and is clearly a very loyal man. I'd want him to stay, but I wouldn't insist he has to for any managerial appointment.
How do we know that he is a good coach. He's coached under 4 different managers, and under each we've seen the same pattern, they start off OK, then show signs of improvement, then lose the plot and the team looks very poor. What does he do to make people think he's a good coach?

He showed no loyalty to Walter Smith when he took off to Newcastle after his first spell. Smith apparently found out after a match when they met in a corridor and Ferguson said he was going. He expected to get offered a new playing contract under Moyes and when told he wasn't getting one was none too pleased and stopped playing until the money he made from his playing days ran out and he came back to Everton to start his coaching badges. Everton have been very loyal to him, don't see what evidence there is that he has been so loyal to us.

No he's been there for a few failed managers, time for him, unsworth and any other former players in coaching roles to be punted.
Unsworth's time in charge was painful to watch. I though we were never going to win ever again at the time.

How do we know that he is a good coach. He's coached under 4 different managers, and under each we've seen the same pattern, they start off OK, then show signs of improvement, then lose the plot and the team looks very poor. What does he do to make people think he's a good coach?

He showed no loyalty to Walter Smith when he took off to Newcastle after his first spell. Smith apparently found out after a match when they met in a corridor and Ferguson said he was going. He expected to get offered a new playing contract under Moyes and when told he wasn't getting one was none too pleased and stopped playing until the money he made from his playing days ran out and he came back to Everton to start his coaching badges. Everton have been very loyal to him, don't see what evidence there is that he has been so loyal to us.

I would say the improvement of Calvert Lewin and before him Lukaku showed to me he was a good coach, alongside the performances of the team when he was manager. Those 3 pieces of veidence are enough for me to believe he is a good coach.

In terms of loyalty, I don't think he wanted to leave at all to go to Newcastle, but was sold at the chairmans behest. He didnt want to leave but the club had money troubles. I'm not sure if you were following us back then mate, but that was very much Johnson's fault and no fault was found with Ferguson.

The fact he has come back to the club, on 3 occasions is a sign of loyalty. He clearly holds the club in very high regard. I mean christ there's a lot to criticise him for but I really don't think anybody could have a pop at the love and loyalty he has for the club.

…problem is, it might not be a decision the new man is allowed to make.

Then the new man is the wrong man.

Nobody takes the job without being allowed to pick their assistant.

Why would the club want to force it? It's not like they're prepping Ferguson for the gig in the long run. They've already demonstrated they don't feel he's up to it,

Status
Not open for further replies.