Ferguson retained as assistant manager - yay or nay

Should Duncan Ferguson continue to be employed as Assistant Manager regardless of managerial appoint

• No

Votes: 234 56.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 180 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I’ve voted no. Much as I love Duncan, I don’t think the club should be keeping him there and forcing him onto other managers. I can see that the board would want him to stay in position if they make an unacceptable appointment like Benitez, in an attempt to get the fans onside.

It would be far better, if they see Duncan as a future manager, to either say to him, ‘Duncan, its time for you to go and manage somewhere else and see how you do, if it goes well you can apply for the job here when it next becomes available.’ Or they could say ‘OK Duncan, we’re going to give you a chance as head coach, working closely with Marcel.’ That way we could give the DOF role a fair chance and also see just what Duncan can offer.

For me it’s dead simple.

Let the incoming manager decide. If he’s going to be of benefit, absolutely fine, but just to keep him round because it’s Duncan, is plain stupid.

Hes now been part of the back room staff for 5 different managerial reigns, and whilst he won’t make the final decision, surely we’d hear more of an impact of what he does by now.

Keep him round the club, he’s an icon of the last 25 years, but enough with the jobs for the boys. If he’s made it by effort, great, if not just end the charade.

Agree.

Also think they've left it too late to appoint him now.

It's clear they didn't have confidence in him or it would have been done quick.

We should have spent time finding an excellent coach and backroom staff to go with Big Dunc , cos I can't think of any reason he has been there for 5 years, if he is NOT a good assistant manager.

This summer should have been all about Marcel Brands, and
- tactics and strategy for the first Xi
- revamp the squad (with lower league, unknown players as well)
- get a top-class coach in
- top class fitness department - revamp
- revamp physio, sports science, medical departments

Spend money on all of that please, instead of any big name. Conte would have been great, but I don't think we can afford a 2-year manager now, who might give us some instant success and then leave, for us to start from scratch again.

We need the behind the scenes work - player recruitment, coaching, strategy, finch farm - all of that to be in great shape, so that ANY manager can exert their influence on the first team

The managerial search is turning into a struggle between modernisers and 'traditionalists' - those looking to build the club around a more hard nosed business structure rewarding success and punishing failure, and those who see the club as needing to retain continuity with the 'social' way the club has been run for a long time. Ferguson's retention or dismissal as assistant manager is turning into a symbol in that broader power struggle; its becoming a bellwether issue.

If the new manager retains Ferguson, you'll now that the forces of conservatism (they would argue 'community') have won this battle in a longer war for control of the club. The soft power wielded by the CEO and Kenwright would have won out over the hard power of the material owners of the club, Moshiri and Usmanov. For now....

The managerial search is turning into a struggle between modernisers and 'traditionalists' - those looking to build the club around a more hard nosed business structure rewarding success and punishing failure, and those who see the club as needing to retain continuity with the 'social' way the club has been run for a long time. Ferguson's retention or dismissal as assistant manager is turning into a symbol in that broader power struggle; its becoming a bellwether issue.

If the new manager retains Ferguson, you'll now that the forces of conservatism (they would argue 'community') have won this battle in a longer war for control of the club. The soft power wielded by the CEO and Kenwright would have won out over the hard power of the material owners of the club, Moshiri and Usmanov. For now....
It's changing, though, Dave. If the club goes through with the Benitez appointment, the hard-nosed are in the ascendancy and will have shown themselves, for now, to be fully prepared to take on the sentimentalists. They may have to show even more willingness if Benitez struggles and the atmosphere takes a turn for the worst.

While Usmanov and Mohsiri should be treated with suspicion, one thing I do know is that the status quo in untenable. Kenwright's sentimentalism has always been used as cover to hide his total unsuitability for the job. He, simply, does not have the financial means to hold such a role at Everton. He has used his self-appointed position as the club's conscience and beating heart to manipulate and mitigate this reality. And he has been largely excellent as that kind of politician - but all at the cost of progress.

Everton needs to change if it wants to truly join the "big six". That means, to a very large extent, losing a little soul along the way. There is a balance to be had, but I think it's a fight that needs to happen if the club is to move on. Benitez is just a proxy in that war. We'll see how up for the fight the owners are over the coming weeks.

His time to be manager is now to be honest. If he doesn't get the gig now he never will and you wonder why he's hanging around.

Unless he wants to just be a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.