Ferguson retained as assistant manager - yay or nay

Should Duncan Ferguson continue to be employed as Assistant Manager regardless of managerial appoint

• No

Votes: 234 56.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 180 43.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every manager he has worked under has kept him on, there must be a very good reason for this, especially in such a front line role. If he was no good he would have been sacked or demoted years ago.

He is certainly not the problem with how crap we are, again, if he was he would be long gone.

Why cant people just be happy that he is doing his job?

It's changing, though, Dave. If the club goes through with the Benitez appointment, the hard-nosed are in the ascendancy and will have shown themselves, for now, to be fully prepared to take on the sentimentalists. They may have to show even more willingness if Benitez struggles and the atmosphere takes a turn for the worst.

While Usmanov and Mohsiri should be treated with suspicion, one thing I do know is that the status quo in untenable. Kenwright's sentimentalism has always been used as cover to hide his total unsuitability for the job. He, simply, does not have the financial means to hold such a role at Everton. He has used his self-appointed position as the club's conscience and beating heart to manipulate and mitigate this reality. And he has been largely excellent as that kind of politician - but all at the cost of progress.

Everton needs to change if it wants to truly join the "big six". That means, to a very large extent, losing a little soul along the way. There is a balance to be had, but I think it's a fight that needs to happen if the club is to move on. Benitez is just a proxy in that war. We'll see how up for the fight the owners are over the coming weeks.
Spot on mate.

This clash was always going to happen though. Especially as institutional stadium investors will feel the need to see professionalism at the club to get on board with backing the project.

The struggle between the owner(s) and the rest of the hierarchy who stand in their way will only get more fierce from now on. You can see the struggle by proxy through the media right now. And the 'social' side of the club hierarchy are most definitely weaponising the fanbase against Moshiri/Usmanov over Benitez.

We should have spent time finding an excellent coach and backroom staff to go with Big Dunc , cos I can't think of any reason he has been there for 5 years, if he is NOT a good assistant manager.

This summer should have been all about Marcel Brands, and
- tactics and strategy for the first Xi
- revamp the squad (with lower league, unknown players as well)
- get a top-class coach in
- top class fitness department - revamp
- revamp physio, sports science, medical departments

Spend money on all of that please, instead of any big name. Conte would have been great, but I don't think we can afford a 2-year manager now, who might give us some instant success and then leave, for us to start from scratch again.

We need the behind the scenes work - player recruitment, coaching, strategy, finch farm - all of that to be in great shape, so that ANY manager can exert their influence on the first team
Can you give us some of the good reasons why he should be kept on as a good assistant manager/ coach?

Every manager he has worked under has kept him on, there must be a very good reason for this, especially in such a front line role. If he was no good he would have been sacked or demoted years ago.

He is certainly not the problem with how crap we are, again, if he was he would be long gone.

Maybe some of us would be happy if he is doing his job, if we knew what he actually does. He has got a name tag, assistant manager/ coach, what does that entail?

And they've all failed.

If him being forced upon a manager causes ill will or makes the manager not want to take the job then he needs to go. Should go and manage elsewhere anyway for his own development if he wants to eventually be head man

I've changed my mind on this

I don't think he has contributed negatively to us at all

But I just think that the players need a complete overhaul. No familiar coaching faces. We need something new. Seeing Ferguson as part of the set up, manager after manager, tells them they can be part of failure here and the club will keep them on the payroll

Big Dunc out.

I do think that he should be replaced by someone familiar to the club though instead of it being all the new manager's guys.

I’ve voted no, but only because yes isn’t a logical response to the stated question and there isn’t a ‘don’t know‘ option.

Can anyone put their hand on heart and honestly say they know whether he’s part of the solution or is potentially part of the problem?
History suggests the latter, but only those inside the club know.

If him being forced upon a manager causes ill will or makes the manager not want to take the job then he needs to go. Should go and manage elsewhere anyway for his own development if he wants to eventually be head man
LOL., he is obviously NOT being forced upon anyone. These are grown men and international managers, they would not just accept him being forced upon them ffs

…Ferguson would get a nose bleed if he went to the Wirral. He’s in a comfort zone at USM FF, I‘d be amazed if he left to join another club. I’d be even more amazed if the story of Ancelotti wanting him was accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.