New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And to be fair to him, we've turned up and bent over at Analfield for years and years - looking to scrape a draw. Only Carlo has recently vanished that voodoo.

So, while he may have been actually having a dig at the club, was his assessment really unfair? We didn't go there with confidence like a big club.

And we still won’t with him as manager either

He’ll set us up just as Moyes did with the same goal in mind

There was an inevitability about this appointment right from the start.

It was always pretty clear to me that this is what would happen.

There is no release fee involved.
He has experience in the PL working at both ends of the table.
He has won quite bit of silverware.

If Everton are in a financial straight jacket for a few years, then he can work in those limits. I think Morshi will view him as a safe pair of hands with the potential to improve us.

Morshi needs safety more than anything while the stadium gets built to protect the huge investment.

I'm more angry at Moshiri and Brands than I am at Benitez. Why wouldn't he take it, it's tons of money and a short commute, he knows he'll get a juicy pay off when it goes tits up. It's not just the small club thing, it's his continued reverence of the RS (look on his social media channels an all you'll see is RS pictures, they were being posted whilst he was Newcastle manager, ffs), the fact he is a tactical dinosaur, the fact he knacked off into semi-retirement in China, the fact that he blames fans, owners, anybody but himself when things start to go wrong, the fact that his appointment underlines the contempt for which the board holds for the fans and on and on.

That's why it's not assuaged, it's because this act has finally severed any sense of connection between the club and I beyond a commercial arrangement. You could argue that I have been naïve in thinking that that wasn't severed previously, and maybe you're right, but there it is. It isn't really about Benitez, it certainly isn't about an opposition manager seeking to curry favour with their cult-like fans by insulting a rival, it's about what the club's values are and the esteem (or lack of) they hold for their fans.
Best three lines of the day!

Hopefully he gets shut of Brands for us.

Hopefully he gets shut of Brands for us.
if the paparazzi manage to zero in on Benitez's plan for Everton on a piece of paper as he's striding into FF i reckon no 1 will be 'Get rid of Brands' Hopefully we'll read about it in years to come in his autobiography. 'and no sooner had we finished 'for he's a jolly good fellow' than the new gaffer sat down next to me on the rower, and asked me what my plans were for the season. I said to do my very best for him, and sign some boss players. He said, he'd be doing the signing and he wouldn't be offended if i sodded off back to Holland'

Last edited:
I'm more angry at Moshiri and Brands than I am at Benitez. Why wouldn't he take it, it's tons of money and a short commute, he knows he'll get a juicy pay off when it goes tits up. It's not just the small club thing, it's his continued reverence of the RS (look on his social media channels an all you'll see is RS pictures, they were being posted whilst he was Newcastle manager, ffs), the fact he is a tactical dinosaur, the fact he knacked off into semi-retirement in China, the fact that he blames fans, owners, anybody but himself when things start to go wrong, the fact that his appointment underlines the contempt for which the board holds for the fans and on and on.

That's why it's not assuaged, it's because this act has finally severed any sense of connection between the club and I beyond a commercial arrangement. You could argue that I have been naïve in thinking that that wasn't severed previously, and maybe you're right, but there it is. It isn't really about Benitez, it certainly isn't about an opposition manager seeking to curry favour with their cult-like fans by insulting a rival, it's about what the club's values are and the esteem (or lack of) they hold for their fans.
Yes mate, he’s a horrible cretin and the club have got this one very wrong.

At the time you deserved to be called both of those things. It is incredibly arrogant to tell people to get on with things just because you are OK with it. You were also being sanctimonious (both in that instance by the way, not saying you are that all the time) by looking down on others for having a different opinion to you. I have a very low threshold for stuff like that (maybe that is my issue) and I cant be doing with fans sneering at other fans over the situation calling them "babies" etc. It's so condescending.

I have stated my own stance loads of times. I am fuming because I think its a horrendous move for everybody involved for numerous reasons. The divisiveness (look at us right now) is horrible and from a purely sporting side I think he is finished as a manager. I have never really said otherwise.

As for will I stop supporting? Who knows, not as such because Everton are my team, I certainly care less right now though as a bit of what appealed to me about us has gone. The only thing I am clinging on to is a morbid curiosity as it will at least be interesting.
Perhaps you should have a rethink on the word sanctimonious. It's closer to home than you might think. I wasn't sneering at anyone, I just don't think people should be given a free pass due to uncontrolled emotions. That's why the 'grow up' comment. I stand by it, especially with respect to the abuse and threats. The difference with this manager is the comment he made. That's it. Not his style or whether or not he's finished. The comment is the source of the freak out. And yes I think people should take a look at themselves if they can't get past it. It was 15 odd years ago, he was the manger of a club competing in the CL, we weren't. It wasn't in his job description to learn about the history of other clubs in the league so for all he could see we were a small club. Not much done by us since his arrival in England tbf. People losing their rag over a manager of another club making a comment when frustrated really do need to have a look at themselves. I'd put my house on it that those that are most vitriolic towards RB looking down on us 15years ago have probably hurled much worse comments at other clubs/players/managers etc. Not getting paid for supporting, or buying tickets and merch, doesn't give someone the right to have no moral compass if they are holding someone else to account for things said in frustration.
You are right this appointment is more divisive, as you say look at us now. He might still do a great job and football isn't worth hatred regardless.

100% this. I can (just about) see why people might not agree with you, but I cannot get my head round the people who just don't even seem to see it. All this 'get over it' stuff is just completely missing the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.