Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
“This is the greatest gamble in the history of Merseyside football,” a source close to the situation said. “It’ll either be a shambles or a huge success. There’s no middle ground.”
...as opposed to being the usual dull as dishwater middle of the table season?

Count me in.

Go back and listen to that interview. He clearly makes a distinction between the small clubs and Everton doing that on the day.

You just cant accept that.

By the way, up until about 10 minutes ago I was convinced he'd baldly stated we were a small club. Having heard and watched that video clip though I'm inclined to agree and accept his explanation about referring to the way we set up on the day.
Thats true. Throwing the toys out of pram because of this interview. What the actual hell.

Even if he did mean it, I think he was fighting for his team. He has said as much today he is our manager and will fight for his team accordingly.

Even if he did say it and even if he did mean it, its in the past let's move on and look forward.

I'll tell ya this, more depressing than a silly comment in an interview is our abject continued failure, I want to see us compete, and maybe just maybe do something worth a dam.

Say what you want about the RS but the season before last they won the league, that hurt watching that, and it hurt watching them win the champions league again and again. I want some of that!!
Yeah no doubt.

Good luck to him.

I don't think this is for me though.

He was playing to the RS gallery and it worked a charm but it was classless and not something a manager should do. But as someone else just said, he probably didn’t believe it, he has previous for spitting his dummy out post-game.
Yep. Agreed.

He was on the wind up big time.

But anyone believing he stated we ARE a small club rather than acting like one for the previous 90 minutes he'd just watched from the dugout is completely wrong...and that includes me up until about 20 minutes ago.

I'm not defending him as he WAS on the wind up. But he clearly wasn't saying Everton per se are a small club. It was a calculated insult to associate us with smaller clubs by saying we acted like one on the day.
Dave you almost protest too much! It was a spur of the moment comment many years ago. I think personally you are right, when you listen again to the footage, but honestly it's just nuance now. I've said on here that I think the most important thing is that he does his utmost for the club once he's here. He's very vocal on that point. From here on, what else can we do but get behind him?

This appointment has left me feeling empty and really disconnected from my club.

I'm totally fed up with an owner who is taking this club backwards, we've just had Carlo the rat use us a cash-cow until Real Madrid came knocking and now we're supposed to get behind a man who is realistically coming out of retirement to rinse us of £1 million a month, all with his best years way, way behind him!

Part of the spin to win us over was that Benitez 'lives locally' WTF! I'm simply not going to invest any more emotional energy into a club whose owner doesn't want his team to offer good attractive attacking football and will be perfectly happy with mid-table mediocrity until the new stadium is built.

Best case scenario is that he's gone before Christmas and worst is that it'll be another 12 months or more on top of that. He's not a miracle worker and he'll soon realise that the squad is pretty much woeful, full of lazy players happy to see out their contracts on mega-money.

I’ve been going to the old lady since 1969, seen good times and bad (plus Big Fat Sam!), but I’m done, I’ll watch from afar for a while.
Well that made for grim reading, best case scenario is that we continue to fail just to spite him??

He is a football manager who has been in charge of clubs various. I wish he was not here but at the end of the day I imagine he gives 100% at every club he works for and that probably includes insulting various other clubs if that will go down well with the current club support. He IS here so best get on with it. There are more pressing matters in that the squad is rubbish and whoever is manager they will not win bugger all until there is a major clear out. Have a nice day:cheers:

Is it because what he said was the 'truth' that we don't like it. He called Moyes and our attitude under Moyes and our general outlook as a club at the time correctly.

Wouldn't be my choice, but the fact that he still wants it despite the 'welcome' tells me something about the man at least that I like.
Truth hurts, fact

“This is the greatest gamble in the history of Merseyside football,” a source close to the situation said. “It’ll either be a shambles or a huge success. There’s no middle ground.”

totally disagree

this has boring but safe 10th place written all over it imo

Status
Not open for further replies.