2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited to see him staying, I would've completely understood him leaving but only would've wanted him to leave if it meant we had a new attacking player coming back in and the later the day went on the less likely that become.

I know he gets on Twitch and says some pretty silly things, he makes statements I wish he wouldn't publicly say. I don't want to try and polish the fact he's out there making these comments but I don't think he's the type of player who's going to refuse to play/train or start fights or arguments in the locker room. Most of what he's saying in immature and silly but he's not making threats or trying to call out Rafael, the club or anyone. He does sound like a nice lad, he's just been stuffed around by Carlo and found himself in a spot he didn't expect to be in.

I hope and expect Rafael gives him a chance, on ability he's still the most talented player in the squad. I hope he can work hard, give it his all and have a good season!

Kin love it!
As long as it's not wasted, I'm all for it.

Would have been fine with him going to get Diaz in. But if we're smart we can do that deal in January with or without James.

We've clearly done the legwork, so can't just stop talking with Porto. Diaz is a target and would also be forward planning for when Richarlison leaves as they can kind of play in a similar position.

It should be a deal we keep working on and persisting with.

I'm pleased because he's a good player and I want good players in our squad. When I look to the bench and we've got 8 players on, two of them being goalkeepers, I'm not arrogant enough to think James Rodriguez being in that squad doesn't improve us.

I have no idea why you think it would have any impact on team morale? We've spent £1.7m combined this summer, and our DoF has failed to bring in a right-back yet again. Isn't that more of a risk of negatively impacting morale?

It would have been good for all parties for a break - only if we had got quality in, though - but it hasn't happened. And RB isn't at Madrid with Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Modric and Kroos to pick ahead of him. So James should get games and yes, he has to be motivated. But you know what Dave, I want to see Everton win something, and I'm much more confident about James being in the squad to rock up to QPR in the league cup than I would be with just Gordon running around getting pushed over on the wing or having to push Gray to play in every game.
It is what it is: we have a huge problem served up by the owners and DoF and if Benitez cant or wont play James because he wants to deal with the situation his way then that's his prerogative.

He has a free hand here. The bulk of supporters know what's happened and they'll back the manager over any player.

I'm excited to see him staying, I would've completely understood him leaving but only would've wanted him to leave if it meant we had a new attacking player coming back in and the later the day went on the less likely that become.

I know he gets on Twitch and says some pretty silly things, he makes statements I wish he wouldn't publicly say. I don't want to try and polish the fact he's out there making these comments but I don't think he's the type of player who's going to refuse to play/train or start fights or arguments in the locker room. Most of what he's saying in immature and silly but he's not making threats or trying to call out Rafael, the club or anyone. He does sound like a nice lad, he's just been stuffed around by Carlo and found himself in a spot he didn't expect to be in.

I hope and expect Rafael gives him a chance, on ability he's still the most talented player in the squad. I hope he can work hard, give it his all and have a good season!

He's been in training last week. There's no way that it was solely his decision to not play in the Brighton game. The club were trying to get rid of him, wouldn't have made sense.

People in here saying he's burned bridges. He hasn't really, only for the bitter, twisted Evertonians who think it's still the 80s and this club means something outside of our fanbase (sorry, but it doesn't, but at least those have seen success).

So James needs to get himself up for it and RB and mainly Brands, the dosser, need to sit down with him and have a frank discussion. Explain what's required, actually explain the role they now can plan for and get him fit and firing and then we can reassess in January.

Nothing daft like ostracising him, wasting millions on a player who could be used as a sub or a starter and managed correctly as a genuinely quality player.

With James £200k per week, Sigurdsson £100k per week, and Delph £90k per week, that's £19,000,000 a year the club is simply throwing away. When will they ever learn? Just stop, stop buying slow, lazy players coming to the end of their careers. It really is unforgivable.

I'm pleased because he's a good player and I want good players in our squad. When I look to the bench and we've got 8 players on, two of them being goalkeepers, I'm not arrogant enough to think James Rodriguez being in that squad doesn't improve us.

I have no idea why you think it would have any impact on team morale? We've spent £1.7m combined this summer, and our DoF has failed to bring in a right-back yet again. Isn't that more of a risk of negatively impacting morale?

It would have been good for all parties for a break - only if we had got quality in, though - but it hasn't happened. And RB isn't at Madrid with Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Modric and Kroos to pick ahead of him. So James should get games and yes, he has to be motivated. But you know what Dave, I want to see Everton win something, and I'm much more confident about James being in the squad to rock up to QPR in the league cup than I would be with just Gordon running around getting pushed over on the wing or having to push Gray to play in every game.
That QPR game is when I expect to see him for the first time

As long as it's not wasted, I'm all for it.

Would have been fine with him going to get Diaz in. But if we're smart we can do that deal in January with or without James.

We've clearly done the legwork, so can't just stop talking with Porto. Diaz is a target and would also be forward planning for when Richarlison leaves as they can kind of play in a similar position.

It should be a deal we keep working on and persisting with.

Totally agree mate. Hope we continue to persue Diaz.

It's on both James and Benitez to get along and Benitez has to use him as I think James always just wanted to play footy, even here.

It simply beggars belief that some would accept getting rid of a player of James quality and keeping the likes of Delph or Gomes and playing them ahead of him?!?

I really don't get us sometimes.

Gordon will be nowhere near it I don't think.

Lad should have been loaned out.

Again, we were looking. How have we not managed it?

Ancelotti had Gordon in the first team not that long ago. If we wanted him loaned out there’d have been a queue of clubs for a player with his pace. I think he’ll be cover for one of the flanks. If Gray and Townsend are first choice, with Bernard and Siggurdson out the picture, it’s really only Iwobi and Gordon left. Richarlison will play behind DCL with James covering 10 and Rondon covering 9. Two players in each position.

It is what it is: we have a huge problem served up by the owners and DoF and if Benitez cant or wont play James because he wants to deal with the situation his way then that's his prerogative.

He has a free hand here. The bulk of supporters know what's happened and they'll back the manager over any player.

Sorry mate - if Benitez keeps picking two keepers and no James on the bench, or no James when others are injured in his normal "workmanlike" starting 11, he's being a pig ignorant gobshite and needs volleying.

He has no option but to focus, get as fit as he can, and force himself into the match day squads. Once he gets chances then he needs to perform.

I hope it can work out for us and him. If James holds up his end then the manager should at least be putting him on the bench every week.

Here's what happened

Everton got James because Carlo wanted him.

He also was a brilliant signing commercially for us and we made a huge deal of it, rightly so. And we should have made more of it by proper merch sales out in Colombia but the club can only be so not useless.

On the pitch, when fit, he was consistently very good for us, bar a few off games. Those off games not helped by teams realising that our manager at the time - and our DoF - had penned all the creativity on a player who we signed knowing couldn't keep fit. Injuries and missing the Wolves games were not a good look, and he was stupid to put the plane picture on when he did.

After Carlo left, he was probably always going to look for an out. He only has a short deal so he knew he wouldn't be getting another year more than likely. Mendes will have known this and started the chatter, but that's what Mendes - and all other agents - do.

We toured him around Florida like the pin up he was. At the same time we had told him that we wanted to sell if possible and since he was open (or wanting to) leave, it's a two-way thing. However, I highly doubt we made any commitment towards him for wanting to stay so I can also see why he'd be a bit miffed at that. If the club don't want you, why should you want to stay?

In the end we've tried to get this deal and it hasn't happened.

That's the state of play. You can be obsessed with kissing Benitez's arse, and hating James, but the truth is most of this falls on neither of them but actually on the club and their decision to pay him so much and a failure to get rid of the other dross clogging up our wage bill (Delph, Gomes, Tosun, Kenny etc - not just his year, but every year since 2018).

So now, he has to be integrated, told how and where we see him fitting, and we'll see where we are in January. In the meantime he can very much help. That is the sensible outcome here.

He has no option but to focus, get as fit as he can, and force himself into the match day squads. Once he gets chances then he needs to perform.

I hope it can work out for us and him.

if he can't get in the matchday squad when we're calling on two GKs and only naming 8 subs then it's not just on him though mate

the other day was different - club were never gonna risk him while he was in for a move, and tbh he probably would have said well why would I risk it too

different now, Benitez has to put him in the squad. Dave's banging on about a morale boost. Well I'm pretty sure there'll be 40,000 Evertonians who would be very happy to see him in that squad for the Burnley game. That's an easy win for Benitez, and we've got nine subs. It shouldn't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.