Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
'market wasn't right'
'covid difficulties'
etc, etc...

Any number of excuses will be formulating right now because people are unable to do their job.

TBF the market not being right is clearly true - I mean look at what Chelsea have got for Guehi and Anjorin. CL and want-to-be CL clubs seem to be trying to get around FFP by inflating the price of the players they are selling.

AMN especially should not have cost anything more than a couple of million - he isn’t in their plans now, and isn’t ever going to be unless several players get maimed. Yet there they were wanting decent money for him.

We really shouldn’t be mugged into going along with what is basically fraud just to bail Arsenal out of the consequences of spending >£150 million on crap.

Pretty embarrassing end to the window - I think we can can file it under 'desperate'. Those last minute loan punts especially.

I guess we will see how things are in January when perhaps some CL clubs would like James for example. Perhaps some struggling clubs would consider Tosun, Delph then too.

When the smoke clears - I guess the biggest let-down is right-back - otherwise we are stronger than last year with Gray, Townsend, Gbamin, Rondon.

JJK, Holgate, Godfrey will have to cover right-back

Personally I'm not unhappy about keeping James (if he is motivated to play) or Gomes.

L7WevLy.png

3 players we signed will get plenty of game time, give 100% effort and contribute to goals and assists. It will turn out to be our best window in 10 years.

Not excusing its been a terrible window on mosh and brands part. But Benitez will come out the winner in this. Moyes on steroids he has to be.

If anyone is happy with this window at all, they need to give their heads a shake.

Imagine 6 months ago saying our signings would be rondon, townsend, begovic, lonergran and Gray. Not a single person would have been happy.

The only change in that time is a managerial appointment. And now people are just accepting of it.

Gray may admittedly, and I hope he does, prove to be decent but he started well at his last 2 clubs and then it went badly, so it's all on whether he can keep it going.

Last edited:
….an ambitious club that is building a state of the art stadium at BMD. A club who’ve wasted millions on poor signings who now have to get their finances in order.

I said when Benitez came in that it was a ‘safe‘ appointment, I think this has also been a ‘safe‘ transfer window. No more expensive failures.

Bottom line is, are we stronger after the summer window than before it? Arguably we are; The glaring lack of wingers has been addressed & Rondon is a more effective back-up than Kean or King.

Yes it’s underwhelming we have no high-profile signings, there are positions we might have strengthened but it’s not to say we are weaker than last season. January isn’t too far away & I feel ok about things.
The thing is Eggs, we are just an injury to Digne away from playing a centre back at left back, we still have no real cover for Coleman, who definitely won’t play 35+ games and we have signed another journeyman on a 2 year contract with unacceptably high wages, we definitely won’t be able to shift him at the end of the season if it doesn’t work out.

I’m not so sure we are better off after the window. Gray, ok up to now he looks good, file under we’ll see. Townsend a grafter and good back up, regular first team starter? Not for me. The biggest problem for me though is letting Nkounkou go out on loan after Small leaving. We have gone from adequate cover at left back to square pegs in round holes should Digne pick up an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.