2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's fit he needs to be on the bench as a minimum. Hopefully he can start a few games and if he gets tired we can sub him off. He's still a world class player and he will want to play even if its just to keep match sharp for Columbia. I expect between now and January him to make 6 starts and 6 sub appearances. He will definitely miss some games but Benitez has to swallow his pride and use every asset available to him.

yes you are 100% correct! only the manager will have all the discretion, it is all his decision now.

BUT only if he (the FSW) can delivers in the long run.. otherwise the supporters (us) will demand James to play.
The only thing he has to deliver is a midtable finish given the way he's been starved of funds and lost a first team player.

Regardless of my opinions on the players ability The manager doesn’t see him in his system and so far that system seems to be working so a decision not to start him is fair. However we’ve left this window having signed one player and previously had two keepers and reduced subs on the bench , it would seem a classic case of cutting off your nose to not include him in your squad so you can have an extra 37 year old keeper on there .

Also as has been said a time will come when we’re struggling to unlock a hard working defence , when we potentially need something a little different . As a manager If you’ve got that and choose not to use it then it’s kind of on you .

we’re three league games in against at best middling opposition and like most of us I’m very happy with the start , tougher tests lay ahead . The manager doesn’t see him as starting and at this moment you’d struggle to disagree but there is a long way to go .

Here's what happened

Everton got James because Carlo wanted him.

He also was a brilliant signing commercially for us and we made a huge deal of it, rightly so. And we should have made more of it by proper merch sales out in Colombia but the club can only be so not useless.

On the pitch, when fit, he was consistently very good for us, bar a few off games. Those off games not helped by teams realising that our manager at the time - and our DoF - had penned all the creativity on a player who we signed knowing couldn't keep fit. Injuries and missing the Wolves games were not a good look, and he was stupid to put the plane picture on when he did.

After Carlo left, he was probably always going to look for an out. He only has a short deal so he knew he wouldn't be getting another year more than likely. Mendes will have known this and started the chatter, but that's what Mendes - and all other agents - do.

We toured him around Florida like the pin up he was. At the same time we had told him that we wanted to sell if possible and since he was open (or wanting to) leave, it's a two-way thing. However, I highly doubt we made any commitment towards him for wanting to stay so I can also see why he'd be a bit miffed at that. If the club don't want you, why should you want to stay?

In the end we've tried to get this deal and it hasn't happened.

That's the state of play. You can be obsessed with kissing Benitez's arse, and hating James, but the truth is most of this falls on neither of them but actually on the club and their decision to pay him so much and a failure to get rid of the other dross clogging up our wage bill (Delph, Gomes, Tosun, Kenny etc - not just his year, but every year since 2018).

So now, he has to be integrated, told how and where we see him fitting, and we'll see where we are in January. In the meantime he can very much help. That is the sensible outcome here.
How was it a brilliant commercial deal for Everton? How did or should have they monetized that? It's just lazy analysis.

And where are you getting your certainty that the club told James that they didn't want him? You have no right to assert that as fact.

"Here's what happened". FFS.

If James is fit and not in that squad, we will all know the issue is Benitez - he will put him in the squad I think, as you say, it's an easy win for him. Anything else and he's a egotistical, petulant bellend.

I would be absolutley ecstatic to see James play at some point in that game, but I don't think the manager will go that far, sadly.
Is James a petulant bellend?
Just a question?

Status
Not open for further replies.