2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant blame the manager too much there, hes been hamstrung a bit by injuries and players being unavailable by a ridiculous international fixture (i hate international footy)

Maybe the first strike against him but hes still got my full support.

I'm surprised nobody came up with the conspiracy theory that Benitez purposely set the team up and refused to make changes in order to lose so that he can get sacked and move to Newcastle. Could be why they are taking so long to sack Steve Bruce who some of you say are as good or better than Benitez. Manager swap incoming. ??

RB still worries me. Seamus always seems to look to pass sideways or backwards when he gets the ball. Only saw the last 25 mins but he seemed to slow up a few counter attack opportunities.

Definitely the worst I’ve seen from us this season.
In fairness i thought Seamus was as good as we had yesterday, along with Keane.
Yes, still a major issue, but i would also be concerned with the lack of quality over at LB.. Lucas seems to have regressed

Goodison was pretty well full yesterday and it might as well have been empty for all the atmosphere there was.
That might be the difference between Carlos and James vs Benny and Rondon...

Possibly true. However, every other club were subjected to the same conditions and home form was (I think) broadly poor for a lot of sides so there was a collective deflation of home results.
Was thinking of Fulham match as an example where the crowd would have made itself very clear in the match. It's mentioned time and time again by all and sundry the Goodison crowd is a force above many. Still we are retreating on expectation whatever the circumstances from last season. Too many have been preparing for the worst in the league probably because anything from up mid table can be sold as some great feat. Worst for me is being further away from champion league. That's where we should be challenging not regressing.

Yes, still a major issue, but i would also be concerned with the lack of quality over at LB.. Lucas seems to have regressed
Agreed with Coleman, thought he was one of our best players going forwards yesterday.

I think with Digne he needs a player in front of him to pull the defenders away to give him space to get balls into the box, Richarlison’s good for that as he drifts inside a lot more forcing the oppositions right sided defenders to sit narrower which means Digne can exploit the space. Without that he’s quite ineffective though, as he’s not very good at beating his man

That might be the difference between Carlos and James vs Benny and Rondon...

Was thinking of Fulham match as an example where the crowd would have made itself very clear in the match. It's mentioned time and time again by all and sundry the Goodison crowd is a force above many. Still we are retreating on expectation whatever the circumstances from last season. Too many have been preparing for the worst in the league probably because anything from up mid table can be sold as some great feat. Worst for me is being further away from champion league. That's where we should be challenging not regressing.
With respect, where is the regression? last season at this point 13 points from 8 games This season 14 from 8. Only real difference is that we had played the RS last season ( and drew) but lost to Man U. Last season we were not missing DCL and Richarlison, so pretty much on a par

Pulis IN!!!

23F55978-953E-4AE9-B013-429596792241.jpeg

This is impressive and hopefully we keep it up.
It is, we did make a lot of chances, DCL has at least 2 goals yesterday, the glanced header Rondon missed getting anything on and the Iwobi tap in. Its not like we got played off the park, it was a narrow loss against a good well organised team with an actual bench.
It hurts to lose the game of course, but its not like we get blown away

having less than 40% possession is eye bleeding at the best of times but you can sugar-coat it with a win, when you get beat not so much.
Agree, I'll be fair with benitez though and admit he's inherited a squad that are genuinely awful on the ball. We haven't got anyone decent to retain possession in that team.

Agree, I'll be fair with benitez though and admit he's inherited a squad that are genuinely awful on the ball. We haven't got anyone decent to retain possession in that team.
Yeah agreed, still the majority of last seasons squad and we know they have a 'not arsed' game or two in them, it will take a few transfer windows yet but we've been saying that since Moyes left.

Disagree could have used some of the players on the becnh rather than Rondon or Iwobi, well could they have been worse?

In fairness to Digne, he's a quality full back but one who does his best work in the attacking third. He isn't bad defensively but it's fair to say he isn't the best.

Our managers tactics suit the majority of our squad but not Digne sadly. He doesn't get much of an opportunity to do what he's best at. I think it's unfair to say he's in poor form.

Status
Not open for further replies.