2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just needs to understand what type of player he is. It's a bit like White in his first couple of games for Arsenal. He is never going to be a commanding, clear everything out type of defender - he is nowhere near big or strong enough for that. So he has to utilise his assets which is his pace, and of he can work on it more, ball playing.

Needs to always be the last man playing the covering CB role. He has to focus on positioning, positioning, positioning. He could be Usain Bolt and not affect the game from 30 yards out of position.

Of course usually that type of defender needs to be partnered with a strong one who will go and win challenges and whilst Keane has the physical assets he isn't that player in reality. So if we're persisting with him he needs the right partner.

He just needs to understand what type of player he is. It's a bit like White in his first couple of games for Arsenal. He is never going to be a commanding, clear everything out type of defender - he is nowhere near big or strong enough for that. So he has to utilise his assets which is his pace, and of he can work on it more, ball playing.

Needs to always be the last man playing the covering CB role. He has to focus on positioning, positioning, positioning. He could be Usain Bolt and not affect the game from 30 yards out of position.

Of course usually that type of defender needs to be partnered with a strong one who will go and win challenges and whilst Keane has the physical assets he isn't that player in reality. So if we're persisting with him he needs the right partner.

He is big though so why can’t he learn to head a football?

He took the cover position behind Keane for most of the match, mopping up errors.

Strangely though that changed around the 70th minute.

He was good last season, disappointing everyone turning on him already. He's out of form, a fair few of them are. Must do better at CB though. We need to somehow get a settled partnership there, Mina and his niggles are hurting us big time. Defence is about partnerships and there's barely any communication. Bad day at the office but I won't turn on him.

He is big though so why can’t he learn to head a football?

Ben Godfrey is 1.83m (6ft) so I would say he's below average for a central defender.

Between Holgate (who is 1.84m) and Godfrey I'd say Holgate is better central defender and better header of the ball.

Michael Keane is 1.88m and Yerry Mina is 1.95m.

Against guys who take a running jump its difficult for Godfrey to win the ball. Last week it was his near post that West Ham targeted as well for their goal.

Ben Godfrey is 1.83m (6ft) so I would say he's below average for a central defender.

Between Holgate (who is 1.84m) and Godfrey I'd say Holgate is better central defender and better header of the ball.

Michael Keane is 1.88m and Yerry Mina is 1.95m.

Against guys who take a running jump its difficult for Godfrey to win the ball. Last week it was his near post that West Ham targeted as well for their goal.

Holgate is taller than Godfrey? Really? That’s blown my mind, he looks tiny.

He was good last season, disappointing everyone turning on him already. He's out of form, a fair few of them are. Must do better at CB though. We need to somehow get a settled partnership there, Mina and his niggles are hurting us big time. Defence is about partnerships and there's barely any communication. Bad day at the office but I won't turn on him.

He really wasnt that good. Or should i say not as good as people were making out. There were huge errors last season aswell but so many had bought into this ben godfrey over hype thing.
Id actualy take a risk and throw him into midfield. Because if he doesnt cut out the errors then having him as the last line of defence is suicide.

he wasn't particularly good last season as well. Zat defending him like crazy is a funnt sight lol

Holgate should replace him. Him alongside Mina we will be stronger and more confident.

Jesus lads, Ben Godfrey ain't the problem. Sure he has things to work on and improve, but he's a kid FFS - he's gonna make mistakes.

He's has covid, which he still don't look quite right from, and was doing fine for us under Ancelotti.

It's the crappy defensive partner he's with and the managers god-awful defensive system were deploying.

Fair dos tho, let's turn on him and hound him out the club,like we do with nearly every other decent young player we have had?!

Is sooner have a go at the three other senior pros in our back 4 and our manager yesterday, and the shocking performance they served up.

He took the cover position behind Keane for most of the match, mopping up errors.

Strangely though that changed around the 70th minute.
Only saw the goals so didn't see that. So that would suggest he needs to work on discipline and mindset in the face of angry Goodison as well? Guess he's not experienced that before - has broken many a man!

Jesus lads, Ben Godfrey ain't the problem. Sure he has things to work on and improve, but he's a kid FFS - he's gonna make mistakes.

He's has covid, which he still don't look quite right from, and was doing fine for us under Ancelotti.

It's the crappy defensive partner he's with and the managers god-awful defensive system were deploying.

Fair dos tho, let's turn on him and hound him out the club,like we do with nearly every other decent young player we have had?!

Is sooner have a go at the three other senior pros in our back 4 and our manager yesterday, and the shocking performance they served up.
24 yo in two months. Kid??? I ve been working my ass off in that age. He's awful, just watch his antics yesterday, mentally he's finito.

Status
Not open for further replies.