2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just based on tonights poor showing, as it's unfair to judge anyone in a friendly, but i just don't think he is good enough if we want to move beyond a relegation scrap each year.

He's poor on the ball and positionally unaware. I don't know how many of the goals we conceded over the last 2 seasons had him 1 yard and 1 second behind the play, but from memory quite a few. It's those margins that matter at that level.

His pace to recover gets him out of alot of situations that his poor decision making and positional awareness puts him into.

But lets keep him at cb this season, no more filling in at left and right back, and if he hasn't improved by the end of the season get rid while we could get our money back.

I hope I'm wrong and the lad kicks on as he has shown potential in glimpses and seems like a good lad.

Not just based on tonights poor showing, as it's unfair to judge anyone in a friendly, but i just don't think he is good enough if we want to move beyond a relegation scrap each year.

He's poor on the ball and positionally unaware. I don't know how many of the goals we conceded over the last 2 seasons had him 1 yard and 1 second behind the play, but from memory quite a few. It's those margins that matter at that level.

His pace to recover gets him out of alot of situations that his poor decision making and positional awareness puts him into.

But lets keep him at cb this season, no more filling in at left and right back, and if he hasn't improved by the end of the season get rid while we could get our money back.

I hope I'm wrong and the lad kicks on as he has shown potential in glimpses and seems like a good lad.
I think there's a player there but he's got a lot of work to do.

Mark my words, teams will allow him to have the ball and press JT because they know Godfrey cannot pass. He's really got to improve on that.

Was a baffling signing by Brands. We were looking for a left footed centre back all summer that year after the Gabriel deal fell through… only to end up with the right footed Godfrey such that we are, 2 years on, still looking for an LCB.

Was a baffling signing by Brands. We were looking for a left footed centre back all summer that year after the Gabriel deal fell through… only to end up with the right footed Godfrey such that we are, 2 years on, still looking for an LCB.
For the same dough ?

Would be a nightmare to play next to as a centre back - positionally not switched on, marking poor in the box, weak in the air, distribution ain’t great. Has attributes but overall a weak link and looks like a relegated Norwich player from a team that shipped goals for fun.

People have tried to blame playing next to Keane for his erratic displays, I’d say it’s the other way around. The reality is he’s just not as good as a lot of people wish he was.

Really big season for him and needs to show improvement and consistency. With three centre backs he’ll have lots of chances to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.