2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were last season.

From memory we didn’t have injuries to our most important players in the opening 9 games and it was also a freak season due to COVID hence our amazing away form which we will never reproduce again.

Expecting this squad to be in the top 4 after a quarter of the season is delusional, no other way to describe it.

Also where did we end up finishing ? Because that’s far more relevant to where one would expect us to be the following season.

I agree Benitez lost the plot on subs the other day. But Mina prevents that 12 minute collapse. I have no doubt about that. The set pieces especially dont happen for Watford. And Mina against WHU would have stopped them bagging the points from two aerial errors one after the other.

He's been a massive miss.

…I think the effectiveness of DCL clearing set pieces from the near post is so underestimated. I bet Pickford and the CBs particularly miss him.

From memory we didn’t have injuries to our most important players in the opening 9 games and it was also a freak season due to COVID hence our amazing away form which we will never reproduce again.

Expecting this squad to be in the top 4 after a quarter of the season is delusional, no other way to describe it.

Also where did we end up finishing ? Because that’s far more relevant to where one would expect us to be the following season.
It's the same squad.

We've won one in six games from hardly the hardest run.

The footy is crap and we can't defend set-pieces.

So it's absolutely fine that he's coming under criticism. Regardless of all the off-field issues, which aren't on him, we should be winning more than one game against Villa, QPR, Norwich, Man Utd, West Ham and Watford, with three of those games being at home.

That doesn't mean he should be sacked.

I know we came back against Southampton and Burnley and in great style, but our first half performances against those 2 teams were terrible, especially against Burnley.

Crazy that people just seem to think every season should be panning out exactly the same way game for game, we might not win 3 out of our last 12 games this season. Can’t be dealing with people jumping through hoops trying to make out last season’s 10th place finish was a success.

We did. It's not good enough for this football club. But some posters on here claim that 10th place with this squad last year was a consequence of Ancelotti's failings but that 10th this year would be an epic achievement and evidence of Benitez's managerial excellence. Both things can't be true. So which, or is it both, is the lie?

Those posters are lying, 10th this season would be a disappointment.

I know we came back against Southampton and Burnley and in great style, but our first half performances against those 2 teams were terrible, especially against Burnley.
Unfortunately @LouReedwalkonthewildside, your point is so true. The truism being we have played only about 25 minutes of really good effective and collective football in those two games in the season so far, with sporadic good play in other games. This is the part which scares me as most of the other turgid passages of play are being overlooked because of this.

I can think of more in the last 5 years, having spent more money than ever before - compared to 11 years with a few outliers where we never spent any money.
Wilfully ignorant or blind to throw Moyes in with the mess of the Moshiri reign.
Which I wasn't by the way. There's no doubt we've been more shambolic since Moshiri became involved. The original post I answered claimed we didn't capitulate under Moyes, which we did.

If Conor Coady scores a set piece goal next game, I think I'll end up institutionalised in a mental hospital because of how hard my head will explode.

I also think having Richarlison back will make a difference from set pieces as well Eggs.
You are both correct and I totally agree it is a team game, but what a pity that the two most effective defenders of set plays are both attackers.
What the heck goes on at Finch Farm to rectify this as we need these types of players further up the field as an outlet.

4pts down for my predictions.

He's not done well at all so far. Not by any metric
4 wins out of 9 in the league. 2 of which were comeback wins at home against Saints and Burnley. One good win against Brighton. Knocked out of cup by a mid table championship team after narrowly beating another 1 of them in the round before. Framing this season as him doing well is absolutely not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.