Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,251 92.3%

• Total voters
Before the Premier League these performances would have seen attendances hit hard, people would have just stopped going but the Premier is too lucrative. Something needs doing though.

I'm just confused to how a multi-Billionaire, doesn't understand how to run a business.

How he's managed to not see any red flags in his actions and approach since he's taken over. How he's not too fussed about losing £500m, only to see regression in his return?

How he hasn't dismissed failing board members, and allowed them to make key decisions. Like, who does that? That's not how Billionaires are made.

He's in a very perilous position now, and he's very close to having half the fan base turn on him for good. It sounds mad to say it after a defeat to Man City, but I think a culmination of bad decisions is catching up.

I'm just confused to how a multi-Billionaire, doesn't understand how to run a business.

How he's managed to not see any red flags in his actions and approach since he's taken over. How he's not too fussed about losing £500m, only to see regression in his return?

How he hasn't dismissed failing board members, and allowed them to make key decisions. Like, who does that? That's not how Billionaires are made.

He's in a very perilous position now, and he's very close to having half the fan base turn on him for good. It sounds mad to say it after a defeat to Man City, but I think a culmination of bad decisions is catching up.

football isnt like real 'business', which at Moshiri's level is about who you know, what deals can be made etc, rather than reaping any 'fruits of actual labour' . Football is purely results based and no amount of backroom deals with your mates can alter that fact.

Which is where Moshiri is coming unstuck I feel.

Knowing how to run business 'A' does not necessarily imply knowing how to run business 'B' which is almost entirely unlike business 'A'.

There are many billionaire bad owners out there. The most common reason is that they treat their sports team as their hobby. Do you know people that are otherwise sensible and successful but are stupid financially about their golf game, their classic car or their boat?

It's like that for a lot of owners. Just like those people you know, some of them get smarter about it eventually, and some of them don't. Were the Kopites happy with FSG five years in? FSG even had the advantage of having had years of on-the-job training in successful MLB ownership, and still trusted the wrong people up front in the Prem.

Knowing how to run business 'A' does not necessarily imply knowing how to run business 'B' which is almost entirely unlike business 'A'.

There are many billionaire bad owners out there. The most common reason is that they treat their sports team as their hobby. Do you know people that are otherwise sensible and successful but are stupid financially about their golf game, their classic car or their boat?

It's like that for a lot of owners. Just like those people you know, some of them get smarter about it eventually, and some of them don't. Were the Kopites happy with FSG five years in? FSG even had the advantage of having had years of on-the-job training in successful MLB ownership, and still trusted the wrong people up front in the Prem.

I use Liverpool and City as my prime examples though.

They recruited well, they had a plan. Look at Liverpool, FSG buy the club, and within a year they've got people ready in place like Michael Edwards, who eventually made them a strong club in the market. They gutted their academies and youth teams and put in people who'd focus on developement with aim of first team.

It's very much Baseball-esque which served them well. Bring them in, learn their trade, promote and succeed. We've been in 8-years and there doesn't seem to be anything going on to suggest we've got a plan. 10-years on from FSG coming in, they've won a League, a European cup cup, and have one of the best managers in the game.

That's not me saying we'd turn be able to do that over the same timescale, but you don't see FSG, or CFG interfering. They have departments which people stick to and subsequently they're like a well oiled machine.

It doesn't happen over night, we know that, but in 8-years the same loser board are in, our academies are littered with Ex-Players, and we seem to give out jobs as they go? We have no clear vision of where we want to be as a club. We should be a lot further on with our initial project, but we've just regressed.

Moshiri should have had advisors in from the get go, and it's just been a complete disaster, to be totally honest.

I use Liverpool and City as my prime examples though.

They recruited well, they had a plan. Look at Liverpool, FSG buy the club, and within a year they've got people ready in place like Michael Edwards, who eventually made them a strong club in the market. They gutted their academies and youth teams and put in people who'd focus on developement with aim of first team.

It's very much Baseball-esque which served them well. Bring them in, learn their trade, promote and succeed. We've been in 8-years and there doesn't seem to be anything going on to suggest we've got a plan. 10-years on from FSG coming in, they've won a League, a European cup cup, and have one of the best managers in the game.

That's not me saying we'd turn be able to do that over the same timescale, but you don't see FSG, or CFG interfering. They have departments which people stick to and subsequently they're like a well oiled machine.

It doesn't happen over night, we know that, but in 8-years the same loser board are in, our academies are littered with Ex-Players, and we seem to give out jobs as they go? We have no clear vision of where we want to be as a club. We should be a lot further on with our initial project, but we've just regressed.

Moshiri should have had advisors in from the get go, and it's just been a complete disaster, to be totally honest.

I don't see the history that way at all.

City had the ability to throw money at the wall and hope some stuck. It took them a few years to assemble all those pieces, throwing vast sums into the sport the likes of which had never previously been seen. Chelsea started from a higher position, and didn't rip through quite as much as a consequence.

What City proved was that unlimited funding works and drives up player fees and wages, which is how we got FFP.

Liverpool put their faith in Damien Comolli, who brought a stats-based approach that the MLB owners liked. He whiffed on the initial buys other than Suarez, and my understanding is that the reason is that he bought a bunch of players "on the cheap" whose stats were inflated by penalties, forgetting that they can't all take penalties. One might be a bargain, but for the group they overpaid.

They did a better job with the youth setup as you point out, which bailed them out years later by adding a couple of key pieces during the upswing following the forced fleecing of Barca for Suarez and the later, utter heist they pulled off with the Coutinho sale.

Those funds, coupled with having better people in place on the football operations side, enabled them to bring in the key pieces like Salah, and to make a sharp decision like buying Alisson for big money to put them over the top.

In other words, FSG had to fail in order to figure out how to succeed. They also got lucky.

In our case, we would have no luck if not for bad luck, but as you point out the feedback loop doesn't seem to be working. The owner doesn't yet seem to understand that building a sustainable football club takes some time. He's impatient and wants to make Europe now. This makes some sense - we have some real assets and need to deliver results in order to keep their value up by having a shot at retaining them. Otherwise, they'll say that we sold them a bill of goods with unfulfilled promises, and walk to bigger clubs on the cheap.

It may well be that the lesson to be learned is not to make expensive buys like Richarlison and Kean and then try to fill out the squad with older, proven players like Allan. That seems to lead to turning over the young players at little to no profit, flushing the fees paid for the older players and having a squad that is too thin to win anything.

We won't know if anything was learned until we see the next round of buys, though.

Still grates me the talk of what we have spent, its not even that much really.

Think the point is more what we have spent it on really.

I work it out at we have spent around £45 mill net a season, over the last 5 season.

I think i had it at about £54mil but cant remember if that included this summer or not.

Imagine where we were when he came in. Alot of ageing players and plenty we couldnt get real fees for.

Hes then dropped £45-54mil a season in the expectation we should be competing at the top of the league.

Its bewildering.