2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have some sympathy for the manager given the injuries we have had. Would we be in the same position if Doucoure, Mina and DCL were all fit? Probably not.

However, lose to Brentford with the Derby looming then it’s looking bleak. It all comes down to whether Moshiri genuinely believes Benitez is the person to turn it around and is willing to give him time to overhaul the club. History tells us that may well not be the case.
i have some sympathy for him after al the training/coaching through the week on City's second goal Allan cant pass the ball 5 ft to Delph who can close down a player or totally backs out of a challenge but that again is the managers fault, never seen a team turn over the ball so much and so easy or cant get passed the first man when putting the ball into the box

Ok, people want to fire Benitez because:

- Former manager of LFC, and said something about us being a small club.
- He is an outdated manager with old ideas.
- He is currently performing marginally below what is expected.

Yes, the Liverpool connection is unfortunate, and especially for those who live in the area. For us other plastic supporters, it means very little.

Outdated ideas? Well, do not have an overview of the training methods of Benitez, but the focus on fast transitions is something that is very central in the thinking of the Ragnick school. They basically do not care so much about ball possession. Zone defense has also not fallen out of fashion, and it is mostly only clubs like Atalanta, Leeds + some outliers that mostly use man marking. Now I understand this is controversial when it comes to dead balls, but Guerdiola, Ragnick and many top managers have used this repeatedly.

I'm a little worried that in recent games we've given the opponent too much space and time on our half of the pitch, and we're starting to approach the Ancelotti era where we mostly defended ourselves within the penalty area. But right now we are performing as expected, maybe a little below what is expected, and the latest trend is not positive. At the same time, key players have been out with injuries, which makes us far less competitive.

But all in all, I see no reason to fire Benitez. The only good reason had to be that they had a top manager ready to take over, or some model like Leipzig. Something I doubt. What the club needs now is stability. It is quite obvious that we are in a period of transition. We have to get rid of players before we get anything new, and we have to professionalize the club. Here I have confidence in Benitez, or it entails considerably lower risk, than any other possible candidates.

Yes, the Liverpool connection is unfortunate, and especially for those who live in the area. For us other plastic supporters, it means very little.

Outdated ideas? Well, do not have an overview of the training methods of Benitez, but the focus on fast transitions is something that is very central in the thinking of the Ragnick school. They basically do not care so much about ball possession. Zone defense has also not fallen out of fashion, and it is mostly only clubs like Atalanta, Leeds + some outliers that mostly use man marking. Now I understand this is controversial when it comes to dead balls, but Guerdiola, Ragnick and many top managers have used this repeatedly.

I'm a little worried that in recent games we've given the opponent too much space and time on our half of the pitch, and we're starting to approach the Ancelotti era where we mostly defended ourselves within the penalty area. But right now we are performing as expected, maybe a little below what is expected, and the latest trend is not positive. At the same time, key players have been out with injuries, which makes us far less competitive.

But all in all, I see no reason to fire Benitez. The only good reason had to be that they had a top manager ready to take over, or some model like Leipzig. Something I doubt. What the club needs now is stability. It is quite obvious that we are in a period of transition. We have to get rid of players before we get anything new, and we have to professionalize the club. Here I have confidence in Benitez, or it entails considerably lower risk, than any other possible candidates.
Stopped reading at where you said marginally below what is expected.

I fully appreciate the points you have made especially when done so in a polite and intelligent manner but I have to disagree with a few points .
I have no problem with zonal marking when it's done correctly and we didn't have to rely on a center back who tackles first and asks questions later and the his mate who's head is in the clouds and lacks the confidence to apply a defensive tactic that involves actual thinking and foreshadowing .
I know why he's happy to give up possession so we can counter attack but that involves needing players with a certain amount of work rate and again intelligence . Iwobi has about as much football intelligence than I have when it comes to car maintenance . None . Gray is more than capable of playing in such a system but now he's been found out , he's finding it difficult . That's not his fault .
He is underperforming in a big way . The Watford game for example . Another example is the Gbmanin debacle where he waited till half time to correct a problem that was evident for at least 90 seconds after kick off . His unwillingness to act till half time was telling .
A lot of dispaired at the Rondon sub over the weekend . His tactics ( like previous managers ) rely on reaction instead of being proactive .
He's a dinosaur who's recent CV shows that his reputation for being a safe pair of hands is unwarrented .
And yes to be a bit base , I hate him . I'm a plastic fan also .

On Sunday, he has a huge game and if he keeps doing the same thing, he will hang himself.

No Gray means he will look to Iwobi - straight away we are done. The lad just isn't on our level and ultimately he can't be starting.

For me, he has to fill the middle of the park so adding Onyango with Delph and Allan and use Gordon and Townsend on the wings especially with Brentford playing 3-4-3.
I’m dreading playing Brentford.

Not City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern Munich… but dreading getting legged everywhere by Brentford, a team who I can only name one of their players.

Ridiculous situation to be in.

Stopped reading at where you said marginally below what is expected.
Well, then maybe you should reconsider your expectations. I think most people expect Everton to end up somewhere between 8 - 11th place. The last two seasons we have ended up at 12 and 10. But of course, if you expect Everton to seriously fight for the top 4 or top 6, then it will be a long season, but it is not the manager's fault.

Marginally???

For us other plastic supporters, it means very little.
Fair
Now I understand this is controversial when it comes to dead balls, but Guerdiola, Ragnick and many top managers have used this repeatedly.
Comparing the FSW to top managers ruins this argument.
But right now we are performing as expected, maybe a little below what is expected, and the latest trend is not positive.
1 in 9. That's more than a little.
What the club needs now is stability.
With a manager half the fans don't want or respect. 1 in 9 is not stable, it's relegation form.

Tbf Mac, I am fully behind Benitez tearing up the medical department.

Honestly, I'm really warming to him as being a DoF. He's just a very poor manager.

I agree with this.

Actually probably would save us a fortune in compensation if we had him in a director role at the club...he'd be someone who could implement a 5-10 year plan and be absolutely meticulous.

Hopefully theres some method to the current madness and thats implemented.

You're putting 2+2 together and making 5.

Benitez was worshipped whilst Bruce wasnt when ultimately they did a similiar job i.e. midtable finishes.

Thats the hypocrisy I rightfully pointed out and will still point out.

Ancelotti had us 10th & 12th after spending £70 million and was worshipped.

Benitez has us 11th with spending £1.7 million and is heckled as our worst ever manager - thats the hypocrisy I rightfully point out...

Its almost as if Benitez didnt have those same players Ancelotti had...

...oh he did? And he signed 5 more.

So his squad is better.

Marginally???

Again the trend is not positive, but the total score is the same, regardless of when the matches are won or lost. Right now, I think we are performing about as expected, overall.
Comparing the FSW to top managers ruins this argument.
Well, if successful top managers use the same ideas, then surely the ideas can not be outdated?
1 in 9. That's more than a little.
Again the trend is negative, but still we do it about as expected. 12 games is a small selection, and I would rather wait until we have played 12 more games.
With a manager half the fans don't want or respect. 1 in 9 is not stable, it's relegation form.
I agree that it was unwise to hire Benitez, but we can do little about that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.