2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did he save us? We were 13th and 5 points clear of relegation zone when he came in.

If anything, Ancelotti did a better job of saving us as we were 15th and only 4 points clear when he came in with less games to play.
No he didn't save us as we were never in danger.
What I meant was this squad needed an "ass" kicker (not licker) manager for a couple of years. He was ideal.

It's no coincidence that we are much worse now having spent much more money since he left.

I can't believe how snobbish we have become as fans when we deem Sam not good enough for a mid table PL club.

What I meant was this squad needed an "ass" kicker (not licker) manager for a couple of years. He was ideal.

It's no coincidence that we are much worse now having spent much more money since he left.

I can't believe how snobbish we have become as fans when we deem Sam not good enough for a mid table PL club.
Did you watch us when he was in charge? Several games without a shot on goal. 11 men behind the ball and hope to nick it. And that was after spending 40m. Its not being snobs not wanting Allardyce. He is a crap manager.

Why are your standards so low? Expect and demand more.

Did you watch us when he was in charge? 3 games on the bounce without a shot on goal. 11 men behind the ball and hope to nick it. And that was after spending 40m. Its not being snobs not wanting Allardyce. He is a crap manager.

Why are your standards so low? Expect and demand more.
My standards are as high as anyone's but doing what we always do blaming managers ends up with the same result.

I've been the same as others. I never wanted some.
Martinez - Didn't want him even though he had a good start as I knew how it would end. Argued for months on end with Dave on this one.
Silva - No way we should be getting a sacked Watford manager.

Just not got the energy to waste any more as we just don't get better.
My focus is on other things now. Board and players.

My standards are as high as anyone's but doing what we always do blaming managers ends up with the same result.

I've been the same as others. I never wanted some.
Martinez - Didn't want him even though he had a good start as I knew how it would end. Argued for months on end with Dave on this one.
Silva - No way we should be getting a sacked Watford manager.

Just not got the energy to waste any more as we just don't get better.
My focus is on other things now. Board and players.
But that's the same as lots of us now. We knew how it would end before he was even announced. We said it would go badly. And that's what happened. You cant criticise other fans when it's what you have done.

That may well be true but there is no guarantee that anyone new would get a tune out of this squad. I couldn't even see the new manager bounce happening with this lot.

Benitez shouldn't be here. Ancelotti should never have been here. Silva should never have been here. Big Sam was our saviour and should have been given longer. He's what we deserve. There, I've said it.
All ok up til the Big Sam shout!

as for deserving it, I guess you are correct to a point, we have behaved very poorly as a club, in terms of business, for such a long time that it is a reap what you sow thing.

Its gutting as we have the potential to awaken from this slumber but i fear Mosh has actually set us so far back that it will be a longer road out of it.

Nuts really!

I Still believe tho!

UTFT

This appointment has destroyed some Evertonians - they'll never come back from it as the hatred and expectations they've placed on the current fella means they have to hold every future manager up to the same scrutiny or else face looking like hypocrites.

We all know Benitez is struggling at present and he deserves blame for the set up etc. However the facts are every manager since Moyes has struggled and the current squad is gutless, bang average, the DOF is awful, the recruitment is poor, Chairman is a luvvy disaster who's single handedly destroyed the club over 2 decades and the owner seems to place his faith in these idiots.

Throw in FFP Problems and the clubs a poisoned chalice at the moment - not one half decent manager will take this job on and if they do they'll fall victim to the same squad thats seen off 5 managers in 6 years.

Tbh I think there’s been a massive overreaction to some of the results.

Spurs performance was fine against Conte’s side who have won their other PL games.

Brentford we dominated possession away from home against a premier league team who wouldn’t have scored any other way than us gifting them a penalty.

Then Liverpool. I have watched derbies against them when we’ve looked like we couldn’t even get the ball. Even in the two games last season, it was disappointing that we couldn’t really do anything but defend and launch the odd attack. The Allardyce derby at Anfield we had good upfield that turned into the Rooney penalty but couldn’t get out our own penalty area. There’s been derbies where they are literally toying with us in our own penalty are and the ball is flashing between the goalposts every minute of the game.

On Wednesday though what I saw was actually not that much wrong with the tactics. We didn’t get hemmed in unable to get out at any point. We played through their lines multiple times and could get behind them at will if w head executed better. We started poorly yes but coming into half time it had been a fairly even game.

The difference lies in the mistakes for the Salah goals. Godfrey and Digne on the first one, Coleman on the second. That’s not tactical errors, that’s poor players losing concentration and not doing their jobs against one of the best forwards in the world at this point. Then of course we folded after the third goal and it looks like we’ve been routed and everyone is absolutely fuming. ‘Why did he play 442, we got overrun etc.’

I didn’t see us get overrun at all, in fact along with the Silva Pickford derby at Anfield, and the Martinez 3-3 at Goodison, it was one of the few derbies when I thought we actually tried to get on the ball and make the play and attempt to control the game against them rather than just put up a wall and hope for the best.

It didn’t work out, obviously, but have people not been calling for a manager who will try and take the game to top opposition? If those individual mistakes get ironed out moving forward suddenly that’s a very competitive performance against a very good side.

It was blown massively out of proportion, I can see why, it’s understandable, I was angry as well, but in the cold light of day that derby loss is nowhere near the massacres we had under Martinez, Koeman Silva, and in a way I’d rather land a few blows on them than get plucky draws.

There were times when Gray was getting played in behind them, Richarlison’s through ball for the goal, us working it round their box and across the pitch. Give me that any day over praying we can get a corner or set piece to somehow try and score. There were times in that game Liverpool were flustered and under the cosh but we didn’t execute on good positions to punish them whereas Salah was clinical on our mistakes.

I’ll get a load of abuse for this but it’s honestly my opinion on the game, we’ve played far far worse in a lot of derbies than we did on Wednesday.

Spurs performance was fine against Conte’s side who have won their other PL games.

Brentford we dominated possession away from home against a premier league team who wouldn’t have scored any other way than us gifting them a penalty.

Then Liverpool. I have watched derbies against them when we’ve looked like we couldn’t even get the ball. Even in the two games last season, it was disappointing that we couldn’t really do anything but defend and launch the odd attack. The Allardyce derby at Anfield we had good upfield that turned into the Rooney penalty but couldn’t get out our own penalty area. There’s been derbies where they are literally toying with us in our own penalty are and the ball is flashing between the goalposts every minute of the game.

On Wednesday though what I saw was actually not that much wrong with the tactics. We didn’t get hemmed in unable to get out at any point. We played through their lines multiple times and could get behind them at will if w head executed better. We started poorly yes but coming into half time it had been a fairly even game.

The difference lies in the mistakes for the Salah goals. Godfrey and Digne on the first one, Coleman on the second. That’s not tactical errors, that’s poor players losing concentration and not doing their jobs against one of the best forwards in the world at this point. Then of course we folded after the third goal and it looks like we’ve been routed and everyone is absolutely fuming. ‘Why did he play 442, we got overrun etc.’

I didn’t see us get overrun at all, in fact along with the Silva Pickford derby at Anfield, and the Martinez 3-3 at Goodison, it was one of the few derbies when I thought we actually tried to get on the ball and make the play and attempt to control the game against them rather than just put up a wall and hope for the best.

It didn’t work out, obviously, but have people not been calling for a manager who will try and take the game to top opposition? If those individual mistakes get ironed out moving forward suddenly that’s a very competitive performance against a very good side.

It was blown massively out of proportion, I can see why, it’s understandable, I was angry as well, but in the cold light of day that derby loss is nowhere near the massacres we had under Martinez, Koeman Silva, and in a way I’d rather land a few blows on them than get plucky draws.

There were times when Gray was getting played in behind them, Richarlison’s through ball for the goal, us working it round their box and across the pitch. Give me that any day over praying we can get a corner or set piece to somehow try and score. There were times in that game Liverpool were flustered and under the cosh but we didn’t execute on good positions to punish them whereas Salah was clinical on our mistakes.

I’ll get a load of abuse for this but it’s honestly my opinion on the game, we’ve played far far worse in a lot of derbies than we did on Wednesday.
I actually agree with a lot of this. It certainly wasn't the worst derby I've seen us play.

That said - still think Benitez hasn't really nailed the tactics side of things so far, even putting the individual mistakes aside.

This has to be a wind up.

The first 20 minutes could easily have been 5-0. We were completely overrun in midfield due to him having this bizarre notion of starting 2 up front.

I know what you're saying about taking the game to them but they're one of the best sides in the world. It was kamikaze football. Give me us grinding out a draw like we have done at Goodison over the last decade over that humiliation every single time.

But that's the same as lots of us now. We knew how it would end before he was even announced. We said it would go badly. And that's what happened. You cant criticise other fans when it's what you have done.
Fair enough. Didn't know I was criticising though but I apologize. Thought I was only giving my opinion.

My problem with Martinez was his style was too different to what the squad was set up for and without money couldn't work. Yes it worked at the start but seeing the likes of Jags playing out from the back still gives me nightmares.

From then on though every manager has fallen foul to the same problems and the only constant in all of it is the players now (and the person who buys them).

Individual mistakes are the killer problem though. They are a two way thing. Obviously players need to take more responsibility and not make basic errors so often. But when the errors happen so often, it's only right we look at the coaching and organisation. At the start under Martinez the players made few basic defensive errors, but gradually it became more and more and scrutiny then passed onto the manager, and fair enough in my opinion.

We need to be more organised while we lack cutting edge. If we concede more than 1 goal we are very unlikely to get results. Our defending this season has shocked me this season because I at least exepcted Benitez to have us organised. We need to see vast improvements in our organisation or we will make more and more individual errors because the pressure on the defence is too great. That involves a full team effort, right from centre forward protecting the ball better.

Playing 442 against that Liverpool side is also not brave, it's totally stupid.

agreed. Doug should have equalised at the end of the first half, and up until their poxy goal from our corner we were giving as good as we got, admittedly after a very shaky start.

Status
Not open for further replies.