2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he didn't play. So he's either refused or he's moaned and not backed down so much he's gave the manager no choice. Let's face it, Godfrey didn't play left back optionally, and Digne would have at least been on the bench.

If it got to that point, it's on the player to apologise and get on with it - he's a paid employee and Benitez is paid to manage his role. Have an opinion, sure, but then get on with it.
Well if he messed about in training or whatever then I've no issue with him being dropped, especiallywith his average form. I just dont know anything so can't have an opinion.

But equally my opinion (if something happenned) is that you then sort these issues out like grown ups. If he trains normally this week then he should be involved next week at least as a sub. Players shouldn't be ostracised but be given an opportunity to apologise and move on. I do fear benitez is very confrontational and stubborn.

His rep wasn't the only one...

So again, I can't 100% know for sure other than I know it wasn't just his rep. They had multiple sources and always do for their stories.

One of them has dried up this season because, weirdly, the player in question is suspended (eyes)

I don't like managers cutting their options down to make any point. I didn't like it with Ancelotti, or Moyes, or Koeman etc (look how it went with Barkley). I just think it's mad.

It creates an issue and more unrest. We won today, but if we'd lost it'd have been another stick to beat Benitez with. Whereas if he was benched and left on the bench it's a non-issue, you can put it down to form and I wouldn't argue against that as he has been poor.

Again, indicates a desperate issue with professionalism in the squad. I'm not surprised at all at what you're saying, but I must admit I'm very surprised you think it's acceptable.

He got 7 assists last year.
I'm not a stat guy to be fair. Just his general overall play. The last time he impressed me was when he filled in at centre back during that injury crisis last season.

I think he has been pretty average at best for a couple of seasons now. There is obviously a player in there and he is still theoretically one of our better players. Hopefully it all gets sorted out but I deffo get the managers line of thinking over this one tonight.

Some people actually want to go back to these players calling the shots?

That’s over now. No more phone calls to Marcel to moan about the manager. No more ‘mistakes’ to just do enough to get the manager out. Benitez is in charge now, get in line or get out. It was clear as day that some like Godfrey and Richarlison chose to get in line. Perhaps Digne didn’t.
No, I just think Benitez's use of Digne this season has been, as I put it earlier in general when it comes to the system, exposing a player's flaw and not playing to their strengths.

By the same token it can be applied to Allan when he has to sit deep in a two and is exposed on the break. Or Gray/Townsend playing central in a second striker role that doesn't work. It's a common theme. So I think the complaint from Digne's rep was valid and punishing the team by not having one of your better options available in a matchday squad when, as you like to bang on about, we've had such bad luck with injuries, seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I've had enough of the cowards in the squad running the show by downing tools/not being arsed when they're not mollycoddled. We have dozens of that type.

Admittedly, I didn't pen Digne for one of them, but to be honest maybe I should have because he's been crap for a long time now. I think I was blinded by just how good he was when he arrived.

Come on. Don't be one of those "he crap anyway" and we spend 4 years trying to replace him.

Obviously Digne and the Manager have had words? TBH Digne, hasn't been in good form this season. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes next month. Saleable asset, could we get enough to replace him and strenghen elsewhere?

Tonight was a good night. There will need to be many more before people change their minds. He has certainly got more breathing space now but that run of games over Christmas and the New Year against weak opposition will be crucial for us, and for him.
After the Leicester game it gets a lot easier. We'll pick up a few points before then too and maybe even be top half.

The derby was the nadir of this season.

We wont be going back to that dark point.

Upwards and onwards. UTFTs!!!!!

Come on. Don't be one of those "he crap anyway" and we spend 4 years trying to replace him.

I said this the other day mate.

He's been phoning it in for the best part of two years now.

Digne has been average to poor long before Benitez arrived. In fact he was last outright decent for a month or so at the start of Ancelotti's first season; he's been off the boil for well over 12 months now.

Not a kneejerk comment. He really has been poor for a long time.

His rep wasn't the only one...

So again, I can't 100% know for sure other than I know it wasn't just his rep. They had multiple sources and always do for their stories.

One of them has dried up this season because, weirdly, the player in question is suspended (eyes)

I don't like managers cutting their options down to make any point. I didn't like it with Ancelotti, or Moyes, or Koeman etc (look how it went with Barkley). I just think it's mad.

It creates an issue and more unrest. We won today, but if we'd lost it'd have been another stick to beat Benitez with. Whereas if he was benched and left on the bench it's a non-issue, you can put it down to form and I wouldn't argue against that as he has been poor.
Weirdly enough I think Koeman was trying to get something our of Barkley, it just didn't work as he is an idiot.

Both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.