2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have Brighton got a single player we would want to sign (aside from that Bisouma)?

Anyone who witnessed them zipping the ball about yesterday, while we couldn’t string 2 passes together & still backs the Fat Slug is a koppite. No other explanation.
Yep That first half we were chasing shadows , it was appalling. Players carry responsibility but come on that’s management and tactics.

Jennas had a pop at him on MOTD 2 as did Shearer.

Presenter turns to Jenas and says "Before kick off you and Alan knew Everton were in trouble"

Jenas "Everything Everton done today screamed they dont know what they are doing"

Presenter "Everton have had since the 16th December to prepare"

Alan Shearer "Got to look at the manager" & "Surprised that system lasted for as long as it did"

Loads more, well worth a listen, just backs up exactly what we are saying....

Well he did just change formation last game.

I get what you’re saying, but for me this is just back to the ‘he should be playing Gomes/Davies/Delph (whichever one wasn’t playing last) arguments people had under Ancelotti. So many managers have tried shuffling the deck chairs around and they’ve all arrived at the same place.

I bought into that Koeman was a stupid manager (I actually still think he is). Then it was that Allardyce was a dinosaur and the players could play better than what he had them doing. I was kind of still on board with this. Then it was Silva was inexperienced, couldn’t coach defence, recruitment issues. I was starting to question at this point how we could be in the mire so quickly again. Then watching the decline under Ancelotti just confirmed it for me. Now Benitez has had precisely the same issues only far sooner in his tenure.

Whilst I could buy that Koeman was a clown and maybe Silva was inexperienced. Allardyce and Benitez are pragmatic defensive managers with premier league experience and proven methods. I don’t like either of their methods really but there’s no doubt that’s what they are. Ancelotti is one of the best managers of all time. I just can’t accept that the latter three are also rubbish managers, and that all five were just poor, and that if we get a sixth one he’ll find a line up out of this group of players that gives us balance in defence and attack. I just don’t think it’s there, and even if a manager could find it (which a couple have for periods) then we’re one injury away from losing it, or the players just lose desire and give up on it anyway.
While Ancelotti definitely shared the struggles of the others, he also had Keane looking like a great defender and Godfrey a real prospect. They are two of the most alarming examples of drops in quality under the new regime.

That basically leaves Mina as our best senior defender and he’s made of marshmallows. Holgate is truly abysmal; he should be so far past his last chance now that it’s unreal. I’d genuinely be starting academy players ahead of him.

Hopefully the new FBs provide a bit of balance but while there’s still a massive leak in the middle I can’t imagine that’ll be the case.

If the bottom 3 were any good I would agree with you mate but essentially we are 8 points above the relegation spots with a game in hand on 2 of those sides and a better GD than all 3.

Ultimately he would only be removed this season if our PL status was in danger. As it stands right now he's safe as houses for another few weeks at the minimum.
As it stands we are absolute bottom on the form table. Newcastle will definitely spend, Burnley will grind out results and they all have to play us. Norwich aside, I'm not confident we are capable of beating anyone in the league.

As it stands we are absolute bottom on the form table. Newcastle will definitely spend, Burnley will grind out results and they all have to play us. Norwich aside, I'm not confident we are capable of beating anyone in the league.
I have absolutely no idea where these points we need are coming from , we’ve been battered and I mean battered by palace , Watford and brighton .

I know I’ll get abused for making any point other than calling for him to be sacked but is it not worth discussing that once again, another Everton manager, the FIFTH in a row, has gone to 5 at the back. Those who want him out should be pleased at this development because it’s the classic final move of the Everton manager death spiral shortly before they are fired.

Why have five managers all come to the same conclusion?

For me the problem has been the same across all managers, and is the root cause of this issue, and it’s that the collective group of defenders are just not individually good enough.

When we play in a 4, our full backs get exposed. Quite simply Coleman (especially) but latterly Digne also are not good enough to be left one on one vs any top winger in the league. They’re getting caught out of position as their pace has gone, and crosses are coming in all the time.

This is leading to the crux of the problem which is Michael Keane. Unless he’s defending in an area that’s 2 metres by 2 metres he can’t play football. When the fullbacks start roaming he starts getting dragged all over the place and it leads to carnage. Perhaps then the answer is to cover the issue with a defensive midfielder, and then you realise there isn’t a competent one in the squad since Gueye left.

So one by one Koeman, Allardyce, Silva, Ancelotti, and now Benitez, have all come to the conclusion that the best way forward for this group of defenders is to cover up the limitations by playing 5 at the back. Unfortunately though each manager has painfully found out that there’s not a single defensive brain between Keane Coleman Digne Godfrey Holgate. Basically unless Mina is in there not one of these clowns has any idea how to lead a defence, or god forbid play with three centrebacks. Throw zonal marking in and it’s a clown show.

I’m not surprised we’re being linked with defenders and bought Mykolenko. The rot needs to be stopped in that back line position by position. Get a few competent full backs in who can defend, hopefully get Mina back playing or at least get two of them to do some basics, then look at overhauling then CBs later.

That for me is the only way out of this mess otherwise why won’t the 6th manager just end up facing the exact same tactical conundrum that the five previous managers have had and failed to solve?

Yes, agreed.

Coleman is finished and without a DM to cover, Digne can get caught out up the pitch.

Keane a total liability...Holgate/Godfrey not tall dominant in the air.

Only Branthwaite/Mina have the height/power needed for defending headers and one is young while the other is injury prone.

My thinking is Mykolenko + Patterson + a quality defensive midfielder this window and we start climbing up the table.

After Patterson/Mykolenko he needs a CB, DM, CM and RW to come into the 11 who all help the defence in different ways.

He doesn’t have to play Keane, but he does. He can also set them up deep to counter Keanes issues, but he doesn’t

With Branthwaite and Mina out theres not much option really.

Id have sold Keane last summer (earlier in fact) and signed a replacement.

Every manager has come to the same conclusions though.

Digne doesn’t stay deep (which is probably one of the reasons he’s fallen out with Benitez). Coleman struggles with it as well. They’re both essentially attacking fullbacks who can’t perform the Hibbert role. It’s no surprise to me that we looked better under Ancelotti when he was forced into playing Godfrey and Holgate in those positions. The open play football then reverted to being non existent.

I’m with you though on the bemusement as to why any manager picks Michael Keane. I’d wager a back 4 of Godfrey Mina Branthwaite Holgate would make far less mistakes than any combination which includes Keane and Coleman.

Pickford
Holgate Mina Branthwaite Holgate
OR

Pickford
Patterson Mina Godfrey Mykolenko

Common issue here is where Mina is injured Keane plays...need to get away from that and stick with Branthwaite.

But there’s no flexibility in his approach, instead of making Digne his scapegoat why not move him into a left winger and have Godfrey behind him. 4 deep sitting CBs to stop the rot.

He plays a 4-2-3-1 or 5-4-1 and people need to adapt or they’re out

He sacrificed an attacking outlet because of his ego

Because he needs a Digne sale to be able to sign the 2 full backs.

There’s a reason why Keane plays, several actually, Mina has glass legs, Holgate is a dolt, Godfrey gets more game time as a left back and Branthwaite is raw

Mina 18months left + injury prone
Holgate only good after a run of games
Godfrey keeps getting moved around
Branthwaite needs games
Keane an oaf

From those 5 three need to be moved on.

While Ancelotti definitely shared the struggles of the others, he also had Keane looking like a great defender and Godfrey a real prospect. They are two of the most alarming examples of drops in quality under the new regime.

That basically leaves Mina as our best senior defender and he’s made of marshmallows. Holgate is truly abysmal; he should be so far past his last chance now that it’s unreal. I’d genuinely be starting academy players ahead of him.

Hopefully the new FBs provide a bit of balance but while there’s still a massive leak in the middle I can’t imagine that’ll be the case.
Because Ancelotti is, and always has been, an adaptive manager. He doesn’t have a set formation or way of playing. He uses what’s available to the best of it ability. It’s why the football struggled last year, he knew Keanes inability so we sat very deep, we had no attacking threat so we setup to keep it tight and sneak a goal.

It just didn’t work at home

With Branthwaite and Mina out theres not much option really.

Id have sold Keane last summer (earlier in fact) and signed a replacement.
He played Braithwaite out of pure necessity the other game; don’t be fooled that he would have played him in any other game

And the point being, if you’ve got play Keane then play to his strength’s

Have to say as a defender I wouldn't fancy playing in front of Pickford. Yesterday on that first goal he came flying out jumping as the ball rolled along the ground, he is a good shot stopper no questions but his overall game is awful imo and I doubt it inspires confidence in the rest of the back line who are not much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.