Leicester postponement

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should clarify for those unclear why the game is cancelled : https://www.premierleague.com/news/2426753

Its dumb, we can on Saturday in the FA Cup, but because its the Premier League, we cannot
Again the prem have backed themselves into a corner because clubs have and still are abusing the covid rules.

You can’t cancel because of injuries and players at the Afcon. This has never been a rule for a 100yrs. Stop trying make out there is such a thing.

Your club have Bent the rules. A gang of cheats. I hope the prem enforce a rule so you Afcon players can’t play in the rearranged game.

To repeat for the 10,000th time

The FA Cup rules state that players from academies must be used to achieve the squad numers
The Premier League rules state that without 13 + 1 GK from the first team a game can be eligible for cancellation
On Saturday we had 8 first teamers, the rest were academy lads

Blame the Premier League for their dumb, money focused, its-all-about-the-brand rules
None of that was what I asked about. How many of the 18 man squad v Watford are unable to play on Tuesday?

I think the club needs to ask for reasons on this one and make a stand because our players will be run ragged at the end of the season when we will already have a similar run of fixtures to the horror show we had in the last month or two.

To be clear, the fact their players went to the darts is irrelevant. Every club is unable to control what players do with their free time whether that is going for their daily haircuts or going to the darts. The simple truth is that Leicester are hit badly with injuries and the PL have folded and bent over backwards to let them off the hook.

I only wonder if that is because Leicester attract a lot of international viewers due to their ownership and the PL want to ensure that those international viewers are treated to seeing the players they have become accustomed to seeing in a Leicester shirt.

I get why the game would be cancelled due to Covid; but they are saying that due to injuries and AFCON they can't get a team out.

I don't see why it could be called off for those last two points. Every team gets injuries, that's why you have a squad.

And as for the AFCON, you just have to live with that. An international tournament shouldn't be scheduled during the domestic season (don't get me started on this years World Cup); so if it's not an official FIFA international break, you just have to deal with it. Again, that's why you have a squad.

They can't have lost so many players that they can't play some youth team players. They'd probably still have beaten us.

To repeat for the 10,000th time

The FA Cup rules state that players from academies must be used to achieve the squad numers
The Premier League rules state that without 13 + 1 GK from the first team a game can be eligible for cancellation
On Saturday we had 8 first teamers, the rest were academy lads

Blame the Premier League for their dumb, money focused, its-all-about-the-brand rules
I read the rules and it doesn't say Leicester can't play with the squad used against Watford. It gives a list of excuses not to.

It'd be interesting to know how many players in that squad have Covid now, and many U21 players, if any, fit the 'not experienced' rule.

Stop this crap about we only have 8 players that’s garbage. And you know it. Like I’ve said a million times. Under normal circumstances you can’t cancel if you only have 8 players. You would need to use your academy. Clubs like Leicester are playing the covid card. And it’s a disgrace and they’re righty getting called out for it.

Cancel the same game twice. WTF is that all about
Would you prefer we just fake loads of tests like your neighbours? Or is it acceptable to check the rules, and then apply in line with rules as laid out in the PL guidelines? Did we schedule this new fixture? No, the EPL is 100% at fault here. Did we game the system in line with rules as laid out by the EPL, sure.
Get a grip, there are far far more nefarious activitieds much closer to home.

What is your possible ground for saying we must have more than 8 players first team fit? I see no proof for your disdain beyond hyperbole.

To put the reason in one place, here you go

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2426753

So if you are not be able to field 13 outfield players and a goalkeeper, as a result of injury, illness or COVID and we have none or at most 2 COVID cases
We cannot field the requred 13+1 due to injuries + AFCON without including academy players, which we did on Saturday, but as they are not elgiible for EPL, this is the reason for requesting postponement.

"Players listed on the club’s squad list who are still available to play in the match, including appropriately experienced Under-21 players (which includes Under-21 players who have played for the club, another Premier League or EFL club, or an overseas club in the current season. However, any Under-21 player who participates in a club’s FA Cup Round Three match and has not played in any other first-team competitions for the club this season will not be considered by the Board as appropriately experienced)."

The bit in bold is key to signifying how mamy players we could field

Last edited:
Would you prefer we just fake loads of tests like your neighbours? Or is it acceptable to check the rules, and then apply in line with rules as laid out in the PL guidelines? Did we schedule this new fixture? No, the EPL is 100% at fault here. Did we game the system in line with rules as laid out by the EPL, sure.

What is your possible ground for saying we must have more than 8 players first team fit? I see no proof for your disdain beyond hyperbole.

So if you are not be able to field 13 outfield players and a goalkeeper, as a result of injury, illness or COVID and we have none or at most 2 COVID cases
We cannot field the requred 13+1 due to injuries + AFCON without including academy players, which we did on Saturday, but as they are not elgiible for EPL, this is the reason for requesting postponement.

"Players listed on the club’s squad list who are still available to play in the match, including appropriately experienced Under-21 players (which includes Under-21 players who have played for the club, another Premier League or EFL club, or an overseas club in the current season. However, any Under-21 player who participates in a club’s FA Cup Round Three match and has not played in any other first-team competitions for the club this season will not be considered by the Board as appropriately experienced)."

I thought the rules were that if you can't field a team then you forfeit the match. Your problems aren't covid related with the exception of one or two which surely shouldn't be taken into consideration. So unless if I'm missing something here then why is the game being postponed and not forfeited?

It's caused a massive inconvenience to Everton. We could have been knocked out of the fa Cup having rested players for this game which now doesn't go ahead. We also had to play in numerous games this season under similar circumstances to yours and lost games putting ourselves in a relegation battle.

I thought the rules were that if you can't field a team then you forfeit the match. Your problems aren't covid related with the exception of one or two which surely shouldn't be taken into consideration. So unless if I'm missing something here then why is the game being postponed and not forfeited?

It's caused a massive inconvenience to Everton. We could have been knocked out of the fa Cup having rested players for this game which now doesn't go ahead. We also had to play ourselves in numerous games this season under similar circumstances to yours and lost games putting ourselves in a relegation battle.
This is a pandemic like nothing seen in centuries. 5.49 million people have died worldwide, a 150 thousand in the UK. Here in Ireland we have lost 6000. I have a wife and a daughter who are both nurses.I respect any decisions that will save lives.

This is a pandemic like nothing seen in centuries. 5.49 million people have died worldwide, a 150 thousand in the UK. Here in Ireland we have lost 6000. I have a wife and a daughter who are both nurses.I respect any decisions that will save lives.

I'm not sure covid is the main issue Leicester have though. The decision certainly hasn't been taken on a moral stance anyway. They have a pile of injuries and lots of players on international duty. My frustration is that players at the AFCON has never been a consideration in the past, but is now mentioned as a factor on our official club twitter statement.

Outrageous from Leicester when they just fielded a full team in the cup.

A club absolutely taking the proverbial over the Covid rules in Football.

Twice in less than 3 weeks is shady business.

I'm not sure covid is the main issue Leicester have though. The decision certainly hasn't been taken on a moral stance anyway. They have a pile of injuries and lots of players on international duty. My frustration is that players at the AFCON has never been a consideration in the past, but is now mentioned as a factor on our official club twitter statement.
My point is that this is a serious lethal threat to life. It is not just the elderly who are dying but I know of youngsters. Maybe Leicester are trying something on here.

I love my football, but I also love my fellow humans. No risk should be taken to endanger lives.if you saw my wife and daughter doing a 12 hour shift wrapped up in PPE like in some sort of sci fi film, it would break your heart. Thank God they have both avoided it so far.

How long have these rules been in place? 12months because of covid?
As only one team have ever used illnesses and injuries in 30yrs of the premier league and they cancelled off their own back , they didn’t get permission. Amd got docked points.

Fast forward 2yrs and with no covid around, but you have 4/5 players at the Afcon and a number of injuries, you will not be able to cancel a game, if if you hand to play 5 x 16yr olds I guarantee it. You buy African players, that’s your own problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.