Ferguson Caretaker Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're not going to use the midfield at all then why not?

Onyango hardly touched the ball when he came on all I can remember that he knocked it out for a throw.

The RS bypass their midifield all the time for example. Doesn't mean they just have 1 body left in there.

At the minute I'd take him back with open arms.

Seriously, I'm convinced were going down.
I always felt that Sam was dispensed with far too quickly. Fair enough, he was a stopgap, a footballing Red Adair, but to replace him with...Marco Silva? Made no sense. Sure, if we had Carlo lined up, go for it. But we made a change there for cosmetic reasons. I didn't enjoy Allardyce's football, but it wasn't about enjoyment - it was about survival. We are in a bigger predicament now, in many ways. I'd have no hesitation getting him in until June, but nothing is certain with Everton anymore and I think things have gone so far that we are now sliding or sleepwalking into the Championship.

When Big Sam came in, most people grudgingly accepted the peril we were in and the necessity for dramatic change to address it. This season, I still don't think the penny has dropped. For many, their hatred for Benitez has clouded the bigger picture: we are suffering a perfect storm and are primed to drop. Allardyce would not be accepted as a replacement this time around. Any new manager will be on a hiding to nothing. Only the very ambitious or desperate will take us now. The most talented will look at us and think we are a huge dysfunctional risk. Basically, we are in a death spiral that could whirl completely out of control with the appointment of a sentimental choice or a hipsterish punt. What's worse is that previous solutions - such as Allardyce - are now impossible, and the Benitez experience has both frightened off proven managers and made them more unattractive in the eyes of the fans and club as options.

So we'll end up with a sentimental choice like Rooney or a punt like Lampard or a hipsterish hail Mary like Kovac. None of them will have time for anything but firefighting. None of them are convincing choices. We're basically in "anything could happen" territory. Lose to Newcastle and I think we're circling the drain at speed.

I always felt that Sam was dispensed with far too quickly. Fair enough, he was a stopgap, a footballing Red Adair, but to replace him with...Marco Silva? Made no sense. Sure, if we had Carlo lined up, go for it. But we made a change there for cosmetic reasons. I didn't enjoy Allardyce's football, but it wasn't about enjoyment - it was about survival. We are in a bigger predicament now, in many ways. I'd have no hesitation getting him in until June, but nothing is certain with Everton anymore and I think things have gone so far that we are now sliding or sleepwalking into the Championship.

When Big Sam came in, most people grudgingly accepted the peril we were in and the necessity for dramatic change to address it. This season, I still don't think the penny has dropped. For many, their hatred for Benitez has clouded the bigger picture: we are suffering a perfect storm and are primed to drop. Allardyce would not be accepted as a replacement this time around. Any new manager will be on a hiding to nothing. Only the very ambitious or desperate will take us now. The most talented will look at us and think we are a huge dysfunctional risk. Basically, we are in a death spiral that could whirl completely out of control with the appointment of a sentimental choice or a hipsterish punt. What's worse is that previous solutions - such as Allardyce - are now impossible, and the Benitez experience has both frightened off proven managers and made them more unattractive in the eyes of the fans and club as options.

So we'll end up with a sentimental choice like Rooney or a punt like Lampard or a hipsterish hail Mary like Kovac. None of them will have time for anything but firefighting. None of them are convincing choices. We're basically in "anything could happen" territory. Lose to Newcastle and I think we're circling the drain at speed.

Perfectly put.

Thats the worst decision we can make. I dont want more Benitez tactics. Yesterday he was out of his depth.

He was but the glimmer of hope for me was:

1. He got the team wrong - changing a few starting players and we likely would have improved from the off.

2. We had a few chances that went to waste

On reflection 1-1 would have been a fair result.

He's not the long term option for me but unless you want someone like Alladyce coming in on a 2+ year deal doing us over or someone as equally inexperienced as Dunc in the top flight like Rooney then he's the sensible and cost effective short term appointment until the seasons end.

My growing concern is why Ferguson has been a constant in the first team setup and dressing room regardless of who has been in charge of the club.

We must hope it's due to his prowess as a coach and 'getting' the club (instilling Everton values etc.), but as time drags on I'm starting to worry if it's the case.

In the snippets are to be believed, Ancelotti talked highly of him and reportedly wanted him at Real - this is a positive. But, who is making the decision?

Do the managers have a choice regarding his position or is a pre-requisite from above? If it's the latter, you've got to then question why he's part of the set up.

What I'm trying to allude to is that I worry if the whole 'club man' is a guise for really being a conduit to the board or specific people on the board - their man.

If that's the case, is he there on merit? Does his position in the dressing room benefit the club or actually hamper it? I'm talking about trust and responsibilities.

I liked Ferguson as a player and if he's the right man for the job then yes he should stay, but if there's any other reasons then he needs to be jettisoned.

We need to have the right people in the right roles, rather than based on sentiment or any ulterior motives. The club needs to move away from disharmony.

This is the problem with our absolute moronic board waiting this long to sack benitez. We don't have time for a manager to settle in we need them to get results straight away.

We need 7 wins to stay safe and we have 18 games to get them wins. Were going to have to pretty much become a 1 in 2 team and we have won 1 in 14 games.

I personally think about 4 wins will be enough for safety. But yeah we need to start winning games.

He was but the glimmer of hope for me was:

1. He got the team wrong - changing a few starting players and we likely would have improved from the off.

2. We had a few chances that went to waste

On reflection 1-1 would have been a fair result.

He's not the long term option for me but unless you want someone like Alladyce coming in on a 2+ year deal doing us over or someone as equally inexperienced as Dunc in the top flight like Rooney then he's the sensible and cost effective short term appointment until the seasons end.

For me Ferguson wrote his own p45 yesterday.

No change in tactics
No preparation for set pieces

My growing concern is why Ferguson has been a constant in the first team setup and dressing room regardless of who has been in charge of the club.

We must hope it's due to his prowess as a coach and 'getting' the club (instilling Everton values etc.), but as time drags on I'm starting to worry if it's the case.

In the snippets are to be believed, Ancelotti talked highly of him and reportedly wanted him at Real - this is a positive. But, who is making the decision?

Do the managers have a choice regarding his position or is a pre-requisite from above? If it's the latter, you've got to then question why he's part of the set up.

What I'm trying to allude to is that I worry if the whole 'club man' is a guise for really being a conduit to the board or specific people on the board - their man.

If that's the case, is he there on merit? Does his position in the dressing room benefit the club or actually hamper it? I'm talking about trust and responsibilities.

I liked Ferguson as a player and if he's the right man for the job then yes he should stay, but if there's any other reasons then he needs to be jettisoned.

We need to have the right people in the right roles, rather than based on sentiment or any ulterior motives. The club needs to move away from disharmony.

If he wants to stay here on a job for life it shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. A new man can't come in and give out a totally new message/fresh voices if the bloke who has seen 6 different managers is still an integral part of day to day coaching.

I like Duncan and he would be a great ambassador/hospitality speaker but he cannot hang around if he has no plans to improve himself, it's the very definition of why we struggle, if he has no ambition why should anyone else? Let's all get comfortable at Everton and there is one person to blame for this - Bill. "If you want to manage Everton you have to have Dunc as a coach". We all stand by the merits of our work and no matter how good a coach he is and how it may be others that are more responsible for our plight, clearly he is not making a big enough difference to arrest that.

Everton must become a meritocracy, people should get jobs based on their skillset, not how popular they were with the fans. If we are getting a new CEO, it should be someone who has turned a failing business around and into profit, not someone who was boss back in the 80’s or 90’s. Similarly our coaches, scouts etc. should be headhunted wherever possible based on their current successes, not because they identified some mush 10 years ago who went on to play for Barca or psg.

This is the problem with our absolute moronic board waiting this long to sack benitez. We don't have time for a manager to settle in we need them to get results straight away.

We need 7 wins to stay safe and we have 18 games to get them wins. Were going to have to pretty much become a 1 in 2 team and we have won 1 in 14 games.
We won't need anything like 7 wins. 4 wins and 3 draws is likely to be enough imo, especially if we take those points off those around us. However, I agree that were in a real mess and it's a struggle to see where any win is coming from right now. I worry that if we feel it's starting to become a mission impossible that the players will too.

But what about Allardyce at West Brom two seasons back?

He joined them when they were 3 points from safety and with 25 games to go in the season. They picked up 19 points and were relegated.

There's no guarantee with him.

Get a new and experienced manager in, for sure - we are desperate for experience now. But Big Sam wouldn't be my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.