2021/22 Vitalii Mykolenko

Status
Not open for further replies.
By stating they'll support the player concerning the conflict.

This is a very complex conflict and the club has to be very careful in siding with a player, as that act can look like support for one side.

Mykolenko can receive all the support he needs off the club but Everton dont need to do that publicly with a big statement.

Let's not forget the complexity: it might look like a no-brainer in supporting Ukraine, but their forces have a massive element of neo-nazis involved in the east of Ukraine who have harassed and targeted Russian speaking Ukrainians for 8 years.

Number one: the club needs to stay out of this.
Number two: if they do choose to speak they should be balanced.
The lad probably has family back home in a country at war. He will be worried about their safety, and the club should be making sure he is supported on an individual level.

This has nothing to do with taking sides. It's about supporting a young lad far away from home who could be very worried about his mum, dad, siblings, friends. It's about having sympathy on a human level. Being public that we will support a player emotionally is absolutely not a political statement!

The lad probably has family back home in a country at war. He will be worried about their safety, and the club should be making sure he is supported on an individual level.

This has nothing to do with taking sides. It's about supporting a young lad far away from home who could be very worried about his mum, dad, siblings, friends. It's about having sympathy on a human level. Being public that we will support a player emotionally is absolutely not a political statement!
It is a political statement.

If Everton wish to support Mykolenko then let them do that...with bells on. But wtf do they want to get embroiled in backing a regime that is openly propped up by neo nazi thugs like these?:

th

Football clubs cant get to the complexity of this conflict: ergo they should stay right out of it.

If Everton wish to support Mykolenko then let them do that...with bells on. But wtf do they want to get embroiled in backing a regime that is openly propped up by neo nazi thugs like these?:

th

Football clubs cant get to the complexity of this conflict: ergo they should stay right out of it.

"Embroiled in backing a regime"... what a load of overexaggerated rubbish.

We said we'd support a player who will have concerns about loved ones back home. If you have an issue with that then that's your problem.

"Embroiled in backing a regime"... what a load of overexaggerated rubbish.

We said we'd support a player who will have concerns about loved ones back home. If you have an issue with that then that's your problem.
The just need to keep it private dont they?

But it was a balls on the table statement designed to show on how 'on board' they are with the western position.

A ridiculous and self defeating move....maybe they'll reflect on that now as the club's finances get strangled by sanctions?

Daft gets.

th

Pretty sure the Ukrainian president is Jewish

So what? Do you think jews in the Israeli government dont act like nazis creating racial laws for Israel?

It's nothing to do with religion or ethnicity...nazism as an ideology is a moveable feast.
Anyway, your entire point about Everton basically saying they will support their Ukrainian player - the club can do whatever it wishes. Instead of arguing or winding people up just accept it.

If they want to play in a ukrainian kit v city and change the name to EFC UKRAINE they ultimately can as its their prerogative

This is a very complex conflict and the club has to be very careful in siding with a player, as that act can look like support for one side.

Mykolenko can receive all the support he needs off the club but Everton dont need to do that publicly with a big statement.

Let's not forget the complexity: it might look like a no-brainer in supporting Ukraine, but their forces have a massive element of neo-nazis involved in the east of Ukraine who have harassed and targeted Russian speaking Ukrainians for 8 years.

Must. Resist. Biting.

Can you point me to this big public statement please?

The 'I bit' edit:

As I see it they have a duty of care to a player who has family caught up in conflict. Regardless of 'who started it', which is playground nonsense, I'm sure you can see the humanity in expressing empathy with the player and what he is going through.

I'd quite like my club to do that, regardless of whether I thought the invasion was legitimate or not (which it sounds like you do). Then again i'm a pacifist.

Genuine question: do you think the invasion is legitimate?

Personally I think you should stay out of it and stop taking sides

th

Obviously it isn't great that Nazi elements exist within the Ukrainian military, but Russia literally finances far right parties across the globe which I'd argue is way worse.

th

President is Jewish. What are you on?

Nazis can be in any country.

Status
Not open for further replies.