2021/22 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at every decent team in the past and they had a settled CB pairing.

Jags and Stones
Jags and Distin
Jags and Heitinga
Jags and Lescott
Yobo and Lescott
Yobo and Stubbs

Then we started recruiting CBs past their prime like Ashley Williams, scared cats like Keane or brittle Mina and never had a settled back 4.

Godfrey is still not sure what he is. But Mina and Keane need binning.

I wouldn't sell him. His injuries have been ridiculous, but it seems to be fairly normal these days. Look at city's defenders... They never seem to have the same 2 centre backs fit for more than 1 game.

Mina's injuries are only a problem because the squad is poor. If we had 2 or 3 other centrebacks worth their salt, we wouldn't be as concerned with mina's injuries.
You have got to be joking. He's completed 90 minutes 10 times in the last 15 months, it's a massive problem, especially when he's getting paid £120k a week.

Nah no chance mate.

He has 1 year on his deal.

You need a settled consistent defence. His fitness alone dictates he's never going to contribute to that.

I read a few weeks ago that we had something bonkers like 20 odd different defence set ups this season, more than any other team. It shows.
He's out best defender so selling him means we aren't getting rid of the weakest players first. I'd sell Michael Keane before mina all day.

I agree with his injuries being ridiculous, but he is our best defender and is more of a leader than any of our other defenders.
if he plays 1/4 games then he can accept 1/4 salary. We cant afford to be paying people not to play. I love him, but we need consistency and he just isnt giving it due to his injury record. last season was 24 games which isnt great but not bad i guess. But 13 this season including ones he has gone off injured is not enough. He is my favourite player too

Disappointing news, but hardly unexpected. We need to back Holgate and Keane and get behind them.

If we stay up, then we need to find a buyer for Mina, even if it's only 5m. His wage savings plus a transfer fee will still be significant. Losing players with value (even small value) on free transfers needs to be avoided in our position.

So we need to replace him with someone who has leadership qualities and won't be unavailable 90% of the time. It seems fairly obvious.
Don't disagree, but I'd rather replace Keane and/or holgate, otherwise we'll always have a decent 11 but a shocking squad which has been our downfall since Moyes was in charge.

Don't disagree, but I'd rather replace Keane and/or holgate, otherwise we'll always have a decent 11 but a shocking squad which has been our downfall since Moyes was in charge.
I don't see why it has to be either/or to be honest. You'd be fine to sell all 3 of them in my opinion, and bring 2 in to replace them with Godfrey and Branthwaite making up the other options. Obviously finding buyers is a different matter but i'm just talking about the principle of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.