2021/22 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played over 24 games last season and 29 the season before. This season has been bad, but doesn't mean his career is over. 20 games with mina is better than 20 with Keane or holgate.
And 20 games with Franz Beckenbauer is better than Mina, but he's not available to us either...

And 20 games with Franz Beckenbauer is better than Mina, but he's not available to us either...
I agree, but if you sign a new defender who is the best in your squad, you don't sell your second best defender. I would have no problem selling mina, but not before Keane or holgate.

I agree, but if you sign a new defender who is the best in your squad, you don't sell your second best defender. I would have no problem selling mina, but not before Keane or holgate.
In all seriousness, the universal appraisal of him as our best defender only seems to have taken hold this season, which is really strange considering he’s only actually played about 1/5th of our games. Absence definitely seems to have made the heart grow fonder. So apart from the fact I wouldn’t see anything wrong with doing what you’re saying anyway, I’m not even sure it’s clear he is our best defender.

….its fine folk suggesting Mina has played his last game but he’s only got 12 months left on this contract & might be eyeing a lucrative Bosman, especially if we avoid relegation.

The power rests with players these days and he might not want to leave until next summer.
True, he also seems quite happy here as well.

What's blindingly obvious, however, is that the club needs to make plans for him not being in the first team because he so rarely is. As @BlueToff says, we need to prioritise 2 new CBs if we stay up.

In all seriousness, the universal appraisal of him as our best defender only seems to have taken hold this season, which is really strange considering he’s only actually played about 1/5th of our games. Absence definitely seems to have made the heart grow fonder. So apart from the fact I wouldn’t see anything wrong with doing what you’re saying anyway, I’m not even sure it’s clear he is our best defender.
Who's better than him? Mykolenko maybe, but he's only come into form in the past few games. Our defensive unit is shocking.

I don't think other clubs would be willing to pay his wages and a fee. He'll be here until his contract ends then he'll sign a contract for around 50k a week somewhere else.

You can't rely on a player like him, it's similar to Delph. Regardless of whether they are good for 10 or so games per season.

Not for me.

Coleman doesn't help but if Coleman isn't there at all, it's still a goal.

Mina has to win that first phase (i think he hesitates as the obvious header would be to another Leicester player) - he's been spun/comes off Mina's back. Coleman should have stepped back to recover though.

My take on it is that Coleman needs to have dropped off there and Mina is trying to head it back to Coleman (albeit unwisely). Coleman basically going right up Mina's back is the last thing he should be doing. Basics of centre back play - if your mate is going up for a header, you should be behind on the cover. Exactly what Coleman was thinking there I have no idea

My take on it is that Coleman needs to have dropped off there and Mina is trying to head it back to Coleman (albeit unwisely). Coleman basically going right up Mina's back is the last thing he should be doing. Basics of centre back play - if your mate is going up for a header, you should be behind on the cover. Exactly what Coleman was thinking there I have no idea

Coleman should definitely drop/cover, but that makes no difference if Mina deals with it. Mina should deal with it/he doesn't. It comes off his back/he doesn't head it back.

I think you'd have a completely different take if that was Michael Keane and not Yerry Mina ;)

I think Patterson replaces Coleman next season anyway.

We need to find a top/lead centre half. Mina, his injury record/wage/contract duration should dictate he's binned.

I thought he'd been our best defender since arriving at the club. Godfrey and Kean have had decent spells in that time, but both have also had longer, utterly horrendous spells where they look like championship quality players.

Who's better than him? Mykolenko maybe, but he's only come into form in the past few games. Our defensive unit is shocking.
I'm not saying someone in particular is better than him, I'm saying this general acceptance of him being our best defender is very definitely a new thing. Keane and Godfrey were the ones everyone had up for POTY last year, Holgate was the one everyone rated the year before, even Zouma was often seen as better than Mina. Suddenly this year it's as if it's beyond any doubt that he's our best centre half, despite him hardly ever actually managing to complete a game. He's gone past Keane and Godfrey by virtue of them looking worse, not by him looking better.

In theory he's easily our best centre half. His attributes are better than the others, I think most people would agree with that, and when he's at his very very best he looks great. By the same token though, Gomes is theoretically our best midfielder by a country mile and his best is way way way better than any of the others can do, and yet neither of them actually produce that very very best level with any sort of regularity, even when they're not injured.

I'm not saying someone in particular is better than him, I'm saying this general acceptance of him being our best defender is very definitely a new thing. Keane and Godfrey were the ones everyone had up for POTY last year, Holgate was the one everyone rated the year before, even Zouma was often seen as better than Mina. Suddenly this year it's as if it's beyond any doubt that he's our best centre half, despite him hardly ever actually managing to complete a game. He's gone past Keane and Godfrey by virtue of them looking worse, not by him looking better.

In theory he's easily our best centre half. His attributes are better than the others, I think most people would agree with that, and when he's at his very very best he looks great. By the same token though, Gomes is theoretically our best midfielder by a country mile and his best is way way way better than any of the others can do, and yet neither of them actually produce that very very best level with any sort of regularity, even when they're not injured.
Nobody in our team is producing at their "very very best level" except maybe Pickford. I don't think anyone imagines that Mina is in the same bracket as the very best CBs but on the few occasions he can actually complete a game of football our defence, all of it, looks much better.

It's all moot anyway, he's made of glass, we can't rely on him, so he needs replacing.

Coleman should definitely drop/cover, but that makes no difference if Mina deals with it. Mina should deal with it/he doesn't. It comes off his back/he doesn't head it back.

I think you'd have a completely different take if that was Michael Keane and not Yerry Mina ;)

We need to find a top/lead centre half. Mina, his injury record/wage/contract duration should dictate he's binned.
Aren't we supposed to be sniffing round Tarkowski? He's bit of a brute, which is what we need.

It's hard to tell - I can't quite decide if Mina is trying to head it back towards Coleman, or if Coleman charging into the back of him is why he's not able to deal with it.

In either case, it doesn't look great but I'm still having Coleman as the more culpable of the two.

You're right to an extent with Keane - mostly because he has form for criminal mistakes, so I'd be less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt

In either case, your main point is right. I rate the lad very highly, but it matters for absolutely nothing if he isn't playing and given, by all accounts, that he's one of our top earners, we should be looking to move him on and a commanding centre back brought in who can be relied upon to play more games and walk the rest of our clowns in defence through games

Status
Not open for further replies.