So called clear out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Richy, DCL and Pickford who have justified their wage - 3 out of 11 on that list. The others, not even close, I’d gladly see leave tomorrow but nobody’s taking on these wages and the players will just sit out their contracts. Top six wages for players that should be first team starters and most of them either not starting and not contributing.

If we could move on the other 8 on the list that would free up big wages. We won’t though, will be the Richy, Pickford that we sell, the ones who actually contribute.
Exactly this mate, there's only one team who would blow that much money on players and offer them contracts and look at us now.

Aye, I think it's one or other. Well, it's hope more than belief because if both push towards the door we may find if difficult to retain their services.

Right now, I think Richie will be perceived as a better and/or more favourable signing by most clubs.
Yeh, I think the form of both players over the last 9 months, for differening reasons, puts Richie more firmly in the shop window. I mean, who would really be willing to whack 60mil down on DCL based on the last season?
Richie in the last 2 months alone would have turned heads I think.
Sad to see him go. If the statement is true that he wants to stay unless a huge club comes in for him, then it could get interesting. What if no one really (serious bid) comes in for either?

Yeh, I think the form of both players over the last 9 months, for differening reasons, puts Richie more firmly in the shop window. I mean, who would really be willing to whack 60mil down on DCL based on the last season?
Sad to see him go. If the statement is true that he wants to stay unless a huge club comes in for him, then it could get interesting. What if no one really (serious bid) comes in for either?
My heart would say keep them both and build around them, however my head (and I suspect our accountants) versus our needs would suggest one must go.

There's glaring deficiencies in our squad where we need to invest and soon, but right now we may struggle to do so based on our perilous financial situation.

We cannot risk another season with the current squad and more so with the inevitable departure of a few high earners, which means one will likely have to go.

The hope is that the board invest the money wisely and it improves us rather than a decline: look at the RS invested; look at how Palace have been revitalised.

My heart would say keep them both and build around them, however my head (and I suspect our accountants) versus our needs would suggest one must go.

There's glaring deficiencies in our squad where we need to invest and soon, but right now we may struggle to do so based on our perilous financial situation.

We cannot risk another season with the current squad and more so with the inevitable departure of a few high earners, which means one will likely have to go.

The hope is that the board invest the money wisely and it improves us rather than a decline: look at the RS invested; look at how Palace have been revitalised.
I would love to keep them both and get a proper midfield behind them, but finces probably do suggest otherwise. I do believe that frank and the new Dof will not be chucking huge contacts at older players, those days are gone.
I wouldbe very happy with the younger, with potential footballer model

Wonder if Richey and DCL converse between themselves on who wants to go and who doesn't.
Maybe it's a bit like the scene from Father Ted in the Episode when they visit the Island and Mrs Doyle and her mate are fighting over who pays for the tea. Only in this case "I'm going!", "No I am!"

I would imagine richie will attract buyers who will be willing to pay 60 to 70 mill

It is one thing attracting them and another agreeing a price and sale. Ckubs know we need £'s and could do the usual stupid, offensive offer thing that we seem to attract
It the merry go round that will make the decision. Clubs know we need the cash. However if that particular club has also sold an asset and they need replacing they are also under pressure to bring someone in and under pressure to pay market value

The club needs a massive reboot - from top to bottom and that can't happen without selling 1 or 2 big players sadly and that's just where we are.
If we got serious offers for anyone I'd be willing to sell, because this is still a group of players that have seen numerous manager out of the job and slipped down the league season after season.
I would be sad to see Richie go but he's earned his move and given his all.
I really like DCL but I do think he's limited and we have to play a certain way to get the best out of him. Again, if he stayed great but if we got a decent offer, especially given the tiny amount we payed for him I'd sell.
We have to learn when it's right to let players go. We have players on massive wages running down their contracts because no one wants them, we cling on to players and when we've lost our assets in the past it's normally been forced from the players side leaving us chasing our tails (Rom staying in LA with Pogba). We need to be smarter, and I know no one wants to be seen as a selling club but everyone (bar maybe City and United) are selling clubs... it's how you manage it and make it work for you. Leicester have been the masters of it.
Of course the concern is the clowns that run us. If we had say 150m from the sales of Dom, Richie and Kean, do I think Moshiri and co would spend it wisely? This is where the reboot comes in because it's not just the team that needs changing, its the whole mentality of this club.
The season finished a week ago and there's been nothing from the club, no statement about the catastrophe of a season we've just had. If there aren't lessons learned then we're doomed and I can imagine our Board sat there looking at the season just gone finding every excuse possible to deflect the blame from them. It was injuries, dodgy refs, the sky 6, Rafael Bentiez, Covid, The War in Ukraine... and so on. Until this lot hold a mirror to themselves and actually accept some responsibility I fear any upturn in fortunes will be temporary at best.

Has El Ghazi gone back to Villa? That was such a waste paying his wages (or maybe a loan fee) for 6 months!

Status
Not open for further replies.