Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

We get the £100mil on the books straight away. Transfer fees are spread over contract length in P&S rules as well as FFP.

So if the yanks can sort the off the field business to cover the expenditure over the next few years they can use the short term wiggle room on transfer fees.

We get the £100mil on the books straight away. Transfer fees are spread over contract length in P&S rules as well as FFP.

So if the yanks can sort the off the field business to cover the expenditure over the next few years they can use the short term wiggle room on transfer fees.

I understand that and also factoring it in, as of July 1st, we have 10-20 mill wiggle room, if we sign KLP - we may spend 8-10 mill of annual scope of our budget on him in wages and ammortisation, even if we signed him for say 20mill - for illustrative purposes.

I think what you are presuming, is we would be in a ground zero position, in terms of transfer aggregate, if the club recived 100 million on players - and i dont think we will - because transfer aggregate doesn't count overall, because that doesn't necessarily mean the club still wont make a loss this year - we posted a 120 mill loss in our last financial accounts - so if we sold 100 mill worth of players that year we still would have made a loss of 20 mill, we havent created 100 mill to spend. For example the club broke more or less even maybe a small profit on transfer trading last year 21/22, but its likely we still will post a loss or 50-70 mill in our next accounts despite that because our costs remain high - which is how i reached my figure above of 50 mill give or take - if received 100 mill and i dont think we will.

Presently Moshiri is covering our losses in real life, but they cost us from a regulatory point of view. A huge driver of those losses are high ammotisation and wages, so taking more on is a bit silly really beyond a certain scope - so in my opinion we definitely wont and cant be spending anything like 100 mill, nor in my opinion do we have scope to

Last edited:
Neiler is broadly correct on his analysis of our financial position IMO.

We ideally want to end this transfer window with significantly lower combined wages and player amortisation than we ran last year to create a medium-term sustainable cost base.

We can also make transfer profits (not fees, profits v book value) to improve our P&L. Moving forward consistently profitable player trading has to be part of our operating model.

What does that mean this summer? Frees. Sensible loans. Longer contracts for players when we pay fees and (hopefully) tougher negotiations to control the wages we offer.

IF we raised eg £100m in fees (we won’t but...) creating say £65m in profit that MIGHT fund a couple of deals from Europe like eg. Nunes and a Richy replacement on 5 or 6 year contracts where we can aim to keep wages at eg £50k pw not £100k pw and manage our P&L in future years.

I think both those scenarios are very unlikely mate, i didnt like the leak yesterday about the takeover, the whole providing money for players looked like a "managing customers" bit as if we are a bit thick, we know we are to the pin of out color with regulation. Though come July 1st we have a little flexibility.

The only way we get significant transfer money to spend in a takeover is if they can come up with a strategy to pump a commercial deal into us or do an asset strip. Otherwise you are looking selling crown jewels - which is where are anyway or asset stripping, they could buy Goodison or BMD (not the land) from the club and pump money in that way, or a creative sponsorship deal with what i believe are strong ties to China.

Can I ask, for clarity, how would an asset strip help our FFP situation?

As a guesstimate...

If we sold £100mil worth of players this summer...then the Yanks buy the club.

How much do you think could they leverage that under P&S rules to spend this summer?

The trouble is no one knows our exact position as at 30th June until our accounts are published, usually in December, but it was March this year.

Assuming nothing changes between now and 30th June and we retain the same turnover as the previous season at £193m it is widely believed we will come in under the PL P&S limit by 10m-20m.

As of July 1st the savings from the released players Tosun, Sigurdsson, Kenny, Delph etc is estimated at about £400k per week, so by time we get to June 2023 that is a saving of £20.8m, bringing us 30m-40m under the P&S limit.

If in the meantime we sell £100m worth of players in transfer fees that will show us 130m-140m below the P&S limit BUT if you are selling £100m of players you will also be losing, as an estimation another 20m-30m for that year in wages. So the answer to your question, in as short as I can get it, is potentially £170m.

Winks in on loan seems like happening, no idea what sort of loan fee we would pay for him, but for arguments sake we pay 3m loan fee and all his 50 wages that would reduce the amount we can spend to our P&S limit by 5.6m.

Again this is on the assumption the turnover is the same as last FY 20/21 but we have signed a new deal with Stake which is estimated about £5m more per season than previous and we have signed an official time keeper deal. So that is another £5m plus we can spend....

Does this make sense? If any new consortium can come in and bring sponsors that will also inflate what we can spend by inflating our turnover, so many variables on which we can only speculate where we are in financial terms and what is forecast. Unfortunately the only people who know where we are is the club itself and I assume the PL, we will not know until Dec-Mar time and even then we will not know the affects of trading since 1st July.

EDIT: Talking in cash terms

Last edited:
So I’m hoping the rumours about Zinchenko are true which mean we could be going into the new season with a starting Midfeild 3 of Winks, Zinchenko & Doucoure.

Dele playing on the left just off DCL and hopefully we get a new winger in with a better end product.

But that’s a much better midfield, especially on the ball.
Not sure the midfield three you propose excites me. I rather have Gallagher in there as him and Doucs can score goals. But Winks in then not the perfect defensive midfielder.

I understand that and also factoring it in, as of July 1st, we have 10-20 mill wiggle room, if we sign KLP - we may spend 8-10 mill of annual scope of our budget on him in wages and ammortisation, even if we signed him for say 20mill - for illustrative purposes.

I think what you are presuming, is we would be in a ground zero position, in terms of transfer aggregate, if the club recived 100 million on players - and i dont think we will - because transfer aggregate doesn't count overall, because that doesn't necessarily mean the club still wont make a loss this year - we posted a 120 mill loss in our last financial accounts - so if we sold 100 mill worth of players that year we still would have made a loss of 20 mill, we havent created 100 mill to spend. For example the club broke more or less even maybe a small profit on transfer trading last year 21/22, but its likely we still will post a loss or 50-70 mill in our next accounts despite that because our costs remain high - which is how i reached my figure above of 50 mill give or take - if received 100 mill and i dont think we will.

Presently Moshiri is covering our losses in real life, but they cost us from a regulatory point of view. A huge driver of those losses are high ammotisation and wages, so taking more on is a bit silly really beyond a certain scope - so in my opinion we definitely wont and cant be spending anything like 100 mill, nor in my opinion do we have scope to
What do you mean here:

if the club recived 100 million on players - and i dont think we will - because transfer aggregate doesn't count overall

That doesnt make sense to me? Not sure what you mean by "transfer aggregate"

If we sold players worth £100mil in fees. Then on the books we receive £100mil in fees -- irrespective of what any FFP / P&S numbers would show.

In fact for the transfer calculations the amount would be shown on our books, in full immediately.
Neiler is broadly correct on his analysis of our financial position IMO.

We ideally want to end this transfer window with significantly lower combined wages and player amortisation than we ran last year to create a medium-term sustainable cost base.

We can also make transfer profits (not fees, profits v book value) to improve our P&L. Moving forward consistently profitable player trading has to be part of our operating model.

What does that mean this summer? Frees. Sensible loans. Longer contracts for players when we pay fees and (hopefully) tougher negotiations to control the wages we offer.

IF we raised eg £100m in fees (we won’t but...) creating say £65m in profit that MIGHT fund a couple of deals from Europe like eg. Nunes and a Richy replacement on 5 or 6 year contracts where we can aim to keep wages at eg £50k pw not £100k pw and manage our P&L in future years.
IF we raised eg £100m in fees (we won’t but...)

The above line also doesnt make sense to me...were 3 deals away from raising £100mil in transfer fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.