Transfer Rumour Harry Winks

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played the majority of league games under Poch when they finished 4th, and their form actually went backwards when he was out injured. Can’t argue direct correlation but they certainly didn’t seem to improve. They lost 8 in 28 that season, then in the 9 games he missed towards the end they lost 5 of them. He played in one game in between and they won it.

In the following season under Mourinho he featured even more heavily and they finished 6th.

Two very different managers who both clearly rated him enough to play him every week barring injury. But Everton who just about survived relegation and haven’t finished anywhere near the top 6 for years are too good for him ?

I don’t get it.
He suits Poch stye football. But the last couple of years at Spurs have been under managers playing a more counter attacking than possession style. Interest in Winks could be an indicator of Lampard's plans for the team next season. Looks like he'll be trying to move away from the style of the last few games of last season.

Think you are way off in your summary.
Ball retention is very good .
Passing is very good.
He certainly isnt slow.
Our options atm are Tommy D or Gomes.

FWIW he improves our midfield ...instantly.
He'd be paid no more than a Delph or a Gomes.

Or maybe you have a better solution.
Delph and Gomes earn too much. So will Winks. He is slow. He'll be a hate figure for the majority of Evertonians by Christmas. Take a 2 minute look on any Spurs forum, they can't believe we're taking him off our hands, particularly after his horror show against us in the cup game 18 months ago. It's moot anyway as it's clear he'll join us. I'll make sure to vault you when he's stinking the gaff out.

Certainly not if he was a plumber but definitely cheap for a Premiership footballer.
The big advantage also is I don't think it would affect our FFP situation or if it did, by very little.

How good will he be?
We have to trust the judgment of the manager.
Whether Winks is decent or terrible, that's £7.5m straight down the drain. If he's good we'll still have to shell out a big fee 12 months from now and he'll probably want a pay bump. If he's rubbish (he's going to be rubbish) then we just flushed that cash straight down the toilet.

Happy enough with Winks, he is better than we have and means we can try and ship out some of the dross. Win win as far as I am concerned.

Interesting parallels between this thread and the Ashley Williams thread before he signed. All the same arguments but Williams was a regular first teamer before he was signed. Winks has been a bench warmer for the past two years.

Delph and Gomes earn too much. So will Winks. He is slow. He'll be a hate figure for the majority of Evertonians by Christmas. Take a 2 minute look on any Spurs forum, they can't believe we're taking him off our hands, particularly after his horror show against us in the cup game 18 months ago. It's moot anyway as it's clear he'll join us. I'll make sure to vault you when he's stinking the gaff out.
Do I want Winks over an up & coming centre mid....hell no.
They will cost big money , probably wiping our transfer kitty out.

But i see the logic if its a loan and we use whatever funds available elsewhere.

You dont rate him & thats fine , so who else would you like to see here for that specific role ?

Do I want Winks over an up & coming centre mid....hell no.
They will cost big money , probably wiping our transfer kitty out.

But i see the logic if its a loan and we use whatever funds available elsewhere.

You dont rate him & thats fine , so who else would you like to see here for that specific role ?
My problem is I don't understand what role he would be filling. It seems to me that the only role he can play is as a turnover merchant in a high possession team and, unless we are buying four or five more first team players (which, given our financial situation, seems unlikely), we don't have the personnel to play that way. I would rather we prioritise a genuine defensive midfielder who can win the ball and take the pressure off of our defence. We can't have another season where our defence is under constant pressure, we'll crack.

My problem is I don't understand what role he would be filling. It seems to me that the only role he can play is as a turnover merchant in a high possession team and, unless we are buying four or five more first team players (which, given our financial situation, seems unlikely), we don't have the personnel to play that way. I would rather we prioritise a genuine defensive midfielder who can win the ball and take the pressure off of our defence. We can't have another season where our defence is under constant pressure, we'll crack.

I actually think Winks would be perfect inbetween Allan & Doucoure. Think Allan has more to offer than what he’s been asked to do so far and neither he nor Doucoure fit the no. 6 role.

In saying all this, I’d hate that being our midfield 3 considering all our current creative options.

I actually think Winks would be perfect inbetween Allan & Doucoure. Think Allan has more to offer than what he’s been asked to do so far and neither he nor Doucoure fit the no. 6 role.

In saying all this, I’d hate that being our midfield 3 considering all our current creative options.
I don't think that midfield is strong enough defensively or creatively. That's kind of my overall point, I just don't see what Winks brings to our squad in its current condition. He doesn't offer anything defensively and he doesn't contribute goals, so what does he bring?

I don't think that midfield is strong enough defensively or creatively. That's kind of my overall point, I just don't see what Winks brings to our squad in its current condition. He doesn't offer anything defensively and he doesn't contribute goals, so what does he bring?
Injuries

How often do people watch the likes of Harry Winks to make such a definite judgement on him ?
I honestly never have.

I also know people immediately form strong opinions for or against transfer targets based on not much really.

Lampard wants and needs to change our style of play. To do that, he needs a different style of midfielder than we have. I honestly can’t tell if Winks fits the bill.

How often do people watch the likes of Harry Winks to make such a definite judgement on him ?
I can admit I've not seen enough of him to really comment but he ticks a lot of boxes. He's a great age for a midfielder and premiership experience. Hopefully being English he would appreciate this is a big move and push forward accordingly. Although the Spurs fans don't seem to rate him. Either way more depth in midfield is a good thing considering we are without Delph now will add competition maybe for the returning Tom Davies. Could be shrewd this move.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.