20,000 sign petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness, I'm not especially morally appalled by the whole betting firm thing

I've had some bets in the past online, but I haven't done so in a while and I don't think I ever betted more than £20. Usually it was smaller amounts of £5 and £10. I'm of course empathetic with anyone who has a betting issue and they have my sympathy if bringing in Stake is seen by them as a slap in the face from the club

What I will say is that I thought Chang were a good sponsor and booze does arguably as much damage as gambling, if not more, so for me to morally be okay with Chang and not Stake would be a bit odd really

What bothers me about the Stake sponsorship is that it feels like Everton are once again behind the times. I think we're going to see less clubs bringing in betting sponsors, not more, and there's a good chance the football authorities could even outlaw it down the line anyway, meaning we'll have to scramble for a new sponsor once AGAIN

It feels like a desperate attempt to squeeze as much out of a dying avenue as possible. It reeks of desperation in fact, and is a monument to just how badly the club has been run

Honestly dropping Chang was a mistake. They didn't bring in anywhere near as much as Sports Pesa, Cazoo or Stake did/will, but they were a good sponsor who seemed to genuinely enjoy being associated with the club. Sponsorship shouldn't be a bottom line "how much money are we getting" thing for me. Ideally a sponsorship is also a partnership, and Chang seemed to match our values better than any of the other sponsors we've had since. Honestly I'd be fine with taking a bit less in order to find the right sponsor, but the club has been run so abysmally that they've had to snatch at the biggest monetary deal they can in order to recoup the damage done from losing USM

No.
We aren't talking banning the gambling firms - you can have your fun hoping to gain someone else's tenner if a footballer is fixed to boot the ball out at 12 minutes. We"re hoping to ban the advertising not the act.
Same reason tobacco is no longer advertised.

Should we ban
Car adverts? - bad for the environment and people's health
Burger and other fast food outlets. Obesity is one of the biggest killers
Alcohol - don't remember much kick back on Chang for the years they sponsored us.

One badge on a football shirt is not going to stop a gambler from gambling. Its ridiculous to think it would

Should we ban
Alcohol - don't remember much kick back on Chang for the years they sponsored us.

One badge on a football shirt is not going to stop a gambler from gambling. Its ridiculous to think it would
I agree to a point but there's only one reason these companies sponsor clubs and that is that it makes them more successful. There's no other reason than that they certainly don't sponsor clubs for the good of society so although it wont necessarily stop a gambler gambling it will entice others to gamble.

I agree to a point but there's only one reason these companies sponsor clubs and that is that it makes them more successful. There's no other reason than that they certainly don't sponsor clubs for the good of society so although it wont necessarily stop a gambler gambling it will entice others to gamble.
Well that takes nothing from the point you replied to. Surely ANY Company only sponsors to make them more successful?

Should we ban

I'd happily ban all adverts because they're a tiresome waste of everybody's time snd visual litter, but let's start with the worst shall we ? Or are you thinking that if we add all the wrongs up it makes a right.

Your last sentence makes no sense. I don't think you thought it through - but let's not let that stop you posting as few others seem to bother doing that too.

Well that takes nothing from the point you replied to. Surely ANY Company only sponsors to make them more successful?
Well it does, the original post doesn't take account of those that can be dragged into gambling because of the advertisement and if you're trying to justify the gambling advertising then you need to not only look at those that already gamble that its highly likely will continue gambling whether we have an advert for gambling or not and those that can be dragged into it.

Well it does, the original post doesn't take account of those that can be dragged into gambling because of the advertisement and if you're trying to justify the gambling advertising then you need to not only look at those that already gamble that its highly likely will continue gambling whether we have an advert for gambling or not and those that can be dragged into it.
I'm certainly NOT trying to justify gambling advertising, but the point remains that ALL advertising, whether it's gambling, alcohol, fast food or whatever COULD lead certain people into addiction. I just find it frankly bizarre that gambling addiction should raise more concern than alcoholism or any other addiction.
My opinion is that all advertising should be banned.

I'm certainly NOT trying to justify gambling advertising, but the point remains that ALL advertising, whether it's gambling, alcohol, fast food or whatever COULD lead certain people into addiction. I just find it frankly bizarre that gambling addiction should raise more concern than alcoholism or any other addiction.
My opinion is that all advertising should be banned.
No mate.

We tell fat people to stop eating and get some exercise, meanwhile we show pity to Jack cos he cant pass a fruit machine without throwing his mortgage in it.

Reactions: kev
Nobody minded Chang cos it was a cute elephant.

People tend to ignore the dangers of drinking due to the fact that most people are pissheads.
To be fair them elephants are murderous bar stewards when they get the hump. Better off with a nice safe betting company.

Gambling sponsor= bad
Alcoholic drinks sponsor= good
Car finance firm = good

I don't know the rules of this game
Gambling sponsor = bad
Booze sponsor = bad
Car finance firm = fine

Nobody is addicted to buying Corsas online. It's pretty straightforward.

Status
Not open for further replies.